Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 11:59 AM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Wow! It seems that walls in apartments are made of paper! It`s really frightening me as i have very sensitive hearing!
Has anyone ever had a good experience with living in apts. with a decent conditions and polite neighbors?
I've lived in 3 apartments and all had noise issues. I lived on the top floor in all of them. One wasn't too bad. It was the neighbor kitty-corner across the hall who had a yappy dog that barked all the time. Since they were kitty-corner, it wasn't always loud- only when they were taking him in and out. It was always annoying, but I could tune it out. If we had shared walls, I would have likely went crazy.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:13 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
I'm not sure where he is during the day but if he is napping, I would eliminate or shorten his nap so he goes to sleep earlier.
Or the people inconvenienced by the noise can adjust their schedule around the toddler's. lol

It's an apartment. There will be noise.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:02 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsik View Post
Wow! It seems that walls in apartments are made of paper! It`s really frightening me as i have very sensitive hearing!
Has anyone ever had a good experience with living in apts. with a decent conditions and polite neighbors?
So you read about a few negative experiences with neighbors and you lump all apartments together and assume the construction is bad and everyone is miserable?

No, apartment walls are not made of paper.

I have lived in apartments by choice most of my adult life. I've been in this one over 8 yrs (as I said upthread) and previously lived in a different apt for 17 yrs., previous to that I stayed in same apt for 6 yrs. Y

Been very happy except for a few isolated instances throughout the years. As I also said upthread, there has never been a problem with noise until downstairs tenant moved in a yr ago.

Yes, I know I could have paid for a house by now.....but I don't want to hassle, work, expense and other things associated with home ownership. And all houses are not perfectly constructed and all homeowners are not ecstatic. I have friends who own a house in an upscale suburb. Their current neighbors have loud, unruly kids, lots of loud motorcycles, their yard is messy, there is regular police presence....it's hardly a paradise.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:30 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
So you read about a few negative experiences with neighbors and you lump all apartments together and assume the construction is bad and everyone is miserable?

No, apartment walls are not made of paper.
The vast majority of apartments are quickly constructed, are wood framed and have very little insulation. Thus noise is a huge issue. Just go look at ratings sites. You'll see that the top complaint is noise leaking through walls/floors.

Quote:
I have lived in apartments by choice most of my adult life. I've been in this one over 8 yrs (as I said upthread) and previously lived in a different apt for 17 yrs., previous to that I stayed in same apt for 6 yrs.

Been very happy except for a few isolated instances throughout the years. As I also said upthread, there has never been a problem with noise until downstairs tenant moved in a yr ago.
I've been living in apartments for nearly 20 years and I can't remember even ONE that didn't have noise issues. It's either people who stomp and slam doors, loud children, yapping dogs, loud music, parties or a combination of all of them.

Quote:
Yes, I know I could have paid for a house by now.....but I don't want to hassle, work, expense and other things associated with home ownership. And all houses are not perfectly constructed and all homeowners are not ecstatic. I have friends who own a house in an upscale suburb. Their current neighbors have loud, unruly kids, lots of loud motorcycles, their yard is messy, there is regular police presence....it's hardly a paradise.
I will agree that buying a house does not remove the issues. I've been very hesitant to purchase for that reason. At least if I'm living in an apartment and some a-holes move in, I can leave in a year or less. If I buy a house that's much more difficult.

Old 02-21-2017, 01:32 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree that 9-10pm is too late for a toddler to be awake.

Oldhag is right. He should be in bed around 7:30 or 8 at the latest.
Agree.

Wayyyyy too late.

Old 02-21-2017, 02:15 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
The vast majority of apartments are quickly constructed, are wood framed and have very little insulation. Thus noise is a huge issue. Just go look at ratings sites. You'll see that the top complaint is noise leaking through walls/floors.

I've been living in apartments for nearly 20 years and I can't remember even ONE that didn't have noise issues. It's either people who stomp and slam doors, loud children, yapping dogs, loud music, parties or a combination of all of them.

I will agree that buying a house does not remove the issues. I've been very hesitant to purchase for that reason. At least if I'm living in an apartment and some a-holes move in, I can leave in a year or less. If I buy a house that's much more difficult.
(bolded) those problems also exist in houses, along with a lot of other things you didn't mention.

Also, I don't need to read apartment ratings. But if, you've had noise issues in every apt you've lived in maybe you should have done more research and/or talked to some of the tenants.

And............a toddler running around making noise at 9 - 10PM is a parenting issue, not a building construction issue.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:55 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,497,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Or the people inconvenienced by the noise can adjust their schedule around the toddler's. lol

It's an apartment. There will be noise.
You're right absolutely. There will be noise

My only point was that if the OP would like to reduce her stress regarding the situation it might be worth looking at the child's nap schedule and seeing if there is a way to make sure he is tired around 8 or so.

I lived under a toddler once and he ran around like crazy until 11 every night. I talked to the mother, she says that the lady who watched him during the day let him sleep a lot so he wasn't tired.

Old 02-21-2017, 04:57 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
My Doctors Office shares a Wall with a Day Care & Even with TWICE the Soundproofing required you can still hear the kids playing Quietly Talking Quietly next door! Me It didn't bother except I wondered How Patient Confidents was! Anyone could be listen to what dr & patient are talking about!!

Old 02-21-2017, 05:06 PM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
For those who are all saying a child NEEDS to be put to bed earlier. No, they don't NEED to. Sometimes parents work schedules other than the cliche 9-5, and must work around that. I'm not saying a child should be on a drumset at 10pm, but WALKING is aloud at any time in an apartment, by anyone. It's sounding like it's a child who is still getting used to walking. My toddler "stomp" walked after learning how to walk for about a year, while still getting used to the coordination. It just happens.

It REALLY doesn't sound like any unnecessary noise is happening, if it truly is just the walking complaints. The neighbors can shove it. It's multi family living.

Old 02-21-2017, 05:09 PM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
You're right absolutely. There will be noise

My only point was that if the OP would like to reduce her stress regarding the situation it might be worth looking at the child's nap schedule and seeing if there is a way to make sure he is tired around 8 or so.

I lived under a toddler once and he ran around like crazy until 11 every night. I talked to the mother, she says that the lady who watched him during the day let him sleep a lot so he wasn't tired.
I had a babysitter like that. It infuriated me. She'd purposely put her to sleep so she wouldn't have to play with her, just rock her to sleep all day. Then my daughter couldn't sleep without a rocking chair, which we didnt have one, and she'd be up all night. As soon as we could find another babysitter, we did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting