Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 04:35 AM

65 posts, read 73,851 times

Advertisements

We live in an apartment building and live on the first floor ( so, no neighbors below us). We have a two year old toddler and have been living here for 2.5 years.
Toddler likes running around and running after us wherever we go. Our neighbors above us never complained until our toddler started doing this.
Quiet time is between 11 pm and 8 am.
We hear our neighbors' noises but never complained because we know that noise is inevitable in apartments. We can hear footsteps and screeching of furniture even at 2 and 3 am, because that's when they go to work. We can even hear their 10 year old daughter when she's home during the summertime.
So, obviously we can hear them louder than what they hear since they're above us.
They insist on us stopping any noise at 8 pm, which is 3 hours before the quiet time. It's not possible with our toddler who doesn't sleep well and if I force toddler to sleep that early, he'll be awake and running at 2 am, which would be even worse. His little feet when running seem to make thumps that reach our neighbors ( I guess?). I tried so many ways to stop our child from running, but it's just not possible. I can't just strap him and prevent him from moving! I told him not to jump when running, but he's too young to understand this. ( the problem is, they're bothered by his running, too, which sounds loud. I started putting him to bed by 9:30 - 10 pm, but he just cries loudly for hours and our bedroom is below our neighbor's bedroom, so I started sitting next to him by 9:30 - 10 pm and not allowing him to move or run, which is very counterproductive. I stay sitting with him for hours until he sleeps. They still insist on no noise after 8 pm and bang so loudly on their floor( our ceiling)whenever he runs.
The funny thing is that our next door neighbors are louder than us and have loud visitors long after midnight and are always outside in the shared hallway and in front of the building and even have their chairs permanently there and no one complains because they're friends with them.

Are we wrong for letting our child run around? We're paying rent and should be allowed to let our child run during non quiet hours. Could they legally call the police on us?
Please, don't give any hurtful replies because I myself am clueless as to what to do and this has been giving me anxiety and sleepless nights for months and reached the point of me having crying fits and panic attacks.

What should we do? Please, only helpful answers. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by simmiella; 02-20-2017 at 05:10 AM..

Old 02-20-2017, 05:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,879,060 times
sure, they can call the police and the police will tell them to call the landlord. You're not doing anything wrong..you're living in your unit, just like they are (with the footsteps and screeching furniture) and they need to accept a bit of 'noise'. You're not having parties, booming your music or fighting like cats and dogs..you're living.

They can insist on whatever they want, but they won't get it. The next time they insist on you being quiet after 8pm, you insist that they change their work schedule so you don't have to hear them in the middle of the night. Why is it ok for you to hear them moving about, but not them hearing you??

You live in a family friendly building and those without children, even those with, need to learn that they will hear noise from time to time.

You might want to have a chat with your landlord..not to fix the issue, but to at least give them a heads up and let them know your neighbor is 'making demands'. Follow up your chat with an email...(paper trail)

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:09 AM

Thanks so much, Kim in FL, for the reassurance and for the helpful advice. You really helped me feel more at ease.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,879,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmiella View Post
Thanks so much, Kim in FL, for the reassurance and for the helpful advice. You really helped me feel more at ease.
You're welcome..sometimes apt living sucks. lol

If they can hear your toddler running on solid flooring, on a ground unit, there is an issue with your building..not your child.

Anyway, ignore them. If they continue to bother you, contact the landlord.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:12 AM

32,499 posts, read 47,478,646 times
There is nothing that can legally be done about child noises in an apartment. Your landlord is going to ignore complaints. The police will ignore child noise complaints. However, it is inconsiderate on your part to just allow the noise to happen without trying to dampen it down a bit.

Let your child wear some soft booties. Put down a thick area rug in areas where the child runs a lot. That's safer for the child, anyway. If he falls, he will be falling on something soft.

Take the child out for a good long hard play session at the park every day. It will help a little bit with the energy level.

A toddler is old enough to understand and learn "use your indoor voice"

You are not going to be able to keep a toddler quiet, but you can reduce the noise level a little bit with a small amount of effort.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:31 AM

20,100 posts, read 16,027,818 times
If the noise is as you describe they are being too sensitive to live in a multi-family unit.

However..... you might want to consider posting in the parenting forum for suggestions on toddler sleep and behavior norms, along with tips. Developmentally most toddlers need around 12-15 hours sleep and are generally in bed between 7-8 pm until 6-8 am, with one 1 1/2 -2 hour nap in the mix.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:43 AM

539 posts, read 561,542 times
It kinda upsets me that parents have the audacity to tell a toddler to be quiet. They have a 10 yr old, they KNOW what it's like, they've been through all this before. So rude. You can't tell a baby to be quiet in it's own safety zone. UGH

The worst that can happen is the landlord won't renew your lease when it ends, because of the neighbor conflicts.

One thing I would add, your noise is living noise. When the neighbors start banging, that's not, it's retaliatory noise, which IS a noise violation, and impedes on your right to quiet enjoyment. They are technically breaking the noise ordinance for doing so. That banging can't be good for the baby's thought process, every time I walk, I hear startling banging. That's not good.

Attempt to let your landlord know what's going on, as nice as possible. Welcome them into your home and show them that the toddler's WALKING is what starts the arguments and incessant banging from the neighbors.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
It kinda upsets me that parents have the audacity to tell a toddler to be quiet. They have a 10 yr old, they KNOW what it's like, they've been through all this before. So rude. You can't tell a baby to be quiet in it's own safety zone. UGH

The worst that can happen is the landlord won't renew your lease when it ends, because of the neighbor conflicts.

One thing I would add, your noise is living noise. When the neighbors start banging, that's not, it's retaliatory noise, which IS a noise violation, and impedes on your right to quiet enjoyment. They are technically breaking the noise ordinance for doing so. That banging can't be good for the baby's thought process, every time I walk, I hear startling banging. That's not good.

Attempt to let your landlord know what's going on, as nice as possible. Welcome them into your home and show them that the toddler's WALKING is what starts the arguments and incessant banging from the neighbors.
Thanks so much for the info and suggestions.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:15 AM

I also wanted to reply to the suggestions of moving to a single family home. I really wish I could, but money issues make us only afford to rent. But thanks for the suggestion. Hope one day we can movie into a single family home and not be disturbed or disturb neighbors.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 AM

I wanted to add that they still bang when my toddler plays or runs in the carpeted area! I really can't do much if sound travels even through carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.