Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2017, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 1,360 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get a place for me and my SO and I'm looking to get a pet. We can't have dogs or cats, but we can have smaller animals such as hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, birds and fancy rats. I'm hopefully looking to buy a Chinchilla because I'm looking for a pet that I can interact with and not something to simply look at.

Apartments are really vague when it comes to pet policies, and I don't know what to expect in terms of apartments allowing other small animals like hamsters in the apartment. I'm really looking to get a chinchilla or a rat so I can have some company when the SO is working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 11:01 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
In my experience if they don't allow dog or cats they won't allow other pets. The most they'd allow is a goldfish in a gallon bowl or something.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:04 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Just tell the landlord what you have while applying.

Fancy rats? You mean squirrels?

Old 02-27-2017, 04:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,550 times
From wikipedia. I had to look it up too.

"The fancy rat is a domesticated brown rat (Rattus norvegicus), which is the most common type of pet rat.[1] The name fancy rat derives from the idea of animal fancy (promotion of domesticated animals) or the phrase "to fancy" (to like, or appreciate)"

Old 02-27-2017, 04:37 PM

Rattus norvegicus is the common rat seen over most of the US.

You want pests for pets? I'm sorry, I just can't help from cracking up!

And my leases state, "Landlord not responsible for pest control."

Take my advice, get a tape worm. Goes where you go, eats what you eat, and your landlord won't care at all!

Old 02-27-2017, 06:20 PM

305 posts, read 723,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Rattus norvegicus is the common rat seen over most of the US.

You want pests for pets? I'm sorry, I just can't help from cracking up!

And my leases state, "Landlord not responsible for pest control."

Take my advice, get a tape worm. Goes where you go, eats what you eat, and your landlord won't care at all!
That's not funny

Old 02-28-2017, 07:46 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
That's not funny
I laughed.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:23 AM

It's landlord humor. You might not get it unless you are a landlord, or have a good sense of humor.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
There is no general rule. You must ask at each and every place where you want to apply.

I seriously suggest that you do not get the small caged pet until after you have found a place to rent and gotten it in writing that you can have the pet.

I accept dogs, but I do not accept birds, hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, ferrets, or pet rats. I happen to like pet rats; my child had one while growing up and they are great pets. However, I do not allow them.

I no longer allow small fish tanks, since dealing with the expensive damage they can cause.

I might possibly allow a small terrarium with a small type of lizard. No iguanas or snakes.

My issue as a landlord is that I simply can not trust a tenant to take proper care of the pet. All of those small pets can cause significant damage if they are not correctly cared for.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:37 AM

Ferrets are well known for their destructiveness.

One thing about the Rattus norvegicus, will the tenant keep it in its cage or will the animal(s) be allowed to roam? My cousin use to keep such rats when he was a child, and it had the run of his bedroom (probably the house) and even let it sleep with him in bed. Rats do their "thing" when they need to, so his bed very often had little black pellets, and I shudder to think about the liquid part. (I quit sleeping over at about that point.)

As a landlord it's one thing for a tenant to keep small pets in enclosed containers or closely supervised (i.e. holding them in your lap) and quite another if they have free run of the premises.

Landlords are not animal haters. They restrict pets only to protect their rental properties. I'd let you have a giraffe or hippo if you could find a way to terminate your lease and have no damage caused by your pet after you have finally departed.

But I just don't think that will happen. In the end tenant is responsible for all damages irrespective of the cause as long as the tenant brought about the condition i.e. by getting a pet. Even an unauthorized pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting