Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:55 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
sec 8 is like any one else you do not screen them good it is on you, but our sec 8 are good people elderly or disability.all long term renters clean.
I think most landlords are unaware of the ability to limit who they accept. One problem is when we say "Section 8" everyone automatically jumps and connects it to only the low income welfare segment. Many landlords (for whatever reason that escapes me) are not aware of the entire Voucher program and how they as landlords can limit their voucher tenants to a specific well defined group, usually ones who are the best tenants you'll ever get. I suspect that most landlords with problem section 8 has it because that's all their property could command. They saw easy government welfare money payment as steady income to them so they jumped on the welfare system wagon. Now they are whining and crying because their ghetto got trashed into a shanty. If you have garbage, treat it as garbage, accept garbage, why are they complaining about all the garbage?

Some landlords pick scraps, others pick flowers. It was their choice; and they picked wrong!
Heck Section 8 flowers are just as pretty as florist bought bouquets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 02:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
The big issues in Oakland CA is that Housing Fair Market Rents were woefully below market.

This was corrected but an entire segment was left out.

At one time 80% of the property I managed was under Housing... this goes back to the early 1980's and it really was a wonderful program.

Over the years there has been a continual shift away from responsibility of Housing/Tenant to Owner.

Many may not realize in the beginning Housing contracted for the entire unit, screened tenants, placed tenants, maintain units, etc...

As mentioned... Housing for decades would guarantee up to two months rent equivalent against damages/unpaid rent when vacated.

A policy shift left owners holding modest... as low as $50 security deposits, when Housing unilaterally stopped the guarantee... not good when holding a $50 security on a home renting for $1200

The Oakland Housing Authority had dedicated inspection staff and has now outsourced to third party for most inspections... before the inspector would provide a time and be there... now it is windows of time... and the OHA inspectors were good and established a track record... noting when improvements or declines... contract inspectors are always different.

I've waited at a property for hours for a contract inspector to show....

The other problem is procedural...

I had a long term tenant Port-Out to another jurisdiction... her child was having trouble in school and another district offered better options...

So my tenant start renting 5 weeks in the other district before turning over the keys to my unit and moving... we had been in weekly contact.

I was still getting her $133 rent and the balance from Housing...

90 days later I get a demand letter from OHA for Over-payment... saying I had collected 5 weeks rent that I was not entitled and under threat Housing wanted the money back... which I refunded...

90 days to let me know is crazy... Housing said the paper work was lost but in fact the other jurisdiction rent start had started and that date was all that mattered.

So yes... my tenant of 13 years with no issues played me and I lost... Housing tardiness compounded matters and the $150 security which I refunded just compounded the problem as I have 21 days from move out to settle...

This NEVER would have happened had Housing not been involved...

As a side note... several years later the tenant calls to ask if I have anything available... she said it was a mistake to move and had moved twice as both places had been sold...

I politely said I had no vacancies and wished her well...

I still have legacy Housing Tenants... some going back to the mid 1980's.

Over my career... I have had two damage claims paid by Housing and by all rights should have had the one that moved out too...

Old 03-05-2017, 09:20 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
sec 8 is like any one else you do not screen them good it is on you, but our sec 8 are good people elderly or disability.all long term renters clean. both them and us keep the place up.so inspections are every other year, oddly the people who work wreak the place and make the noise. so it is all who you take in, on a whole sec 8 and non sec 8 the goodones and bad ones are about equal.
This writes like it came from a tenant, not a landlord.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:56 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,115,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I have no idea why any landlord in their right mind would accept Section 8.
because a very large percentage of the population is poor. The people with grade A credit, good jobs and are respecable productive members of socity usually have the money to buy. The only exception would be buying a rental in a college town VERY close to campus and renting to students with parents who cosign etc.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:21 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This writes like it came from a tenant, not a landlord.
prop mnager sorry you yhink like that you sound like a slum lord that blames the tenet for damages that go unfixed so you do not have to pay to fix stuff like worn out floor cover. and such.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:28 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
prop mnager sorry you yhink like that you sound like a slum lord that blames the tenet for damages that go unfixed so you do not have to pay to fix stuff like worn out floor cover. and such.
Guess again. I don't take Section 8 nor am I a slum lord, and I don't have to fix stuff all the time because my tenants are quality folk with good credit, great references, and solid job history.

Old 03-07-2017, 12:23 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Guess again. I don't take Section 8 nor am I a slum lord, and I don't have to fix stuff all the time because my tenants are quality folk with good credit, great references, and solid job history.
was using your logic did not mean disrespect,normally we do not need to repair.the only time we normally. do. ia for items that are old or to upgrade. sec 8 dose not make a bad tenet a bad tenet makes a bad tenet, like i said alot are old persons or people on ssd for health reasons . you can pic and chose sec 8 like any one else. if you get all bad ones you suck at doing your job or want easy money, all our sec 8 have been good maybe 4 people in 16 years that were not and that is out of 30 tenets that had sec 8. so if you look at backgrounds you should have know problem,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting