Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 10:03 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
This tends to only be true for intact male cats. The smell is linked to a sexual hormone that stops getting produced once fixed.

not at all accurate as cats that have been fixed will also spray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 11:20 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
we have a house next to our apartment building that harbors about 7 cats, and the house arounf the corner, basically, the same thing.

The cats use our garden to pee and poo, they walk behind the shrubs that are planted along the front of our building. when i plant flowers in the spring time, i have to wear gloves as the poop has to be cleaned. i would love to re locate all thses cats, i hate them
they pee on our lawn and make dead spots.
what do we do?
every winter i hope they freeze to death, but they dont, they stay in the homeowners old dilapidated garage in the back yard for the winter.

i dont know what to do, and its that time of the season again, where they will all come out.
I absolutely just hate them all.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:38 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
we have a house next to our apartment building that harbors about 7 cats, and the house arounf the corner, basically, the same thing.

The cats use our garden to pee and poo, they walk behind the shrubs that are planted along the front of our building. when i plant flowers in the spring time, i have to wear gloves as the poop has to be cleaned. i would love to re locate all thses cats, i hate them
they pee on our lawn and make dead spots.
what do we do?
every winter i hope they freeze to death, but they dont, they stay in the homeowners old dilapidated garage in the back yard for the winter.

i dont know what to do, and its that time of the season again, where they will all come out.
I absolutely just hate them all.
Look up the laws for your city regarding animal control, etc and find out what can be done and what is allowed on a property. This sounds more like a feral cat issue than a pet problem so it is off topic to the thread. If they are feeding the cats then many/most times the city will determine that your neighbors are responsible for those cats and it will be dealt with accordingly. But you won't know until you research your city's laws.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:33 PM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

People go nose blind, think that it take a clorox wipe and some new carpet and you're good to go.
I so hoped you were kidding about the Clorox wipe, but unfortunately it's most likely true.

Ditto the stuff people buy at the Dollar store that claims to neutralize pet odors. Anything that's going to work is going to cost considerable more.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:05 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
People go nose blind, think that it take a clorox wipe and some new carpet and you're good to go.
Sadly, cats and crazy cat people all smell like urine, they just don't know it. It never dawns on them how some stranger in the mall can tell they have cats! Simple fix; No Pets! We don't have any issues as a result.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:05 PM

8,882 posts, read 5,365,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned B View Post
I can definitely vouch for the cat smells. The house we live in was rented out to less-than-model renters for a few years before we bought it. They apparently let their cats use one corner of the concrete basement floor as the "litter box" because it was just filthy and had to be cleaned and bleached multiple times. One year later and it still smells like cat pee down there. Thankfully we haven't found cat pee anywhere else in the house.
Bleach is useless and sometimes dangerous.

You need to use a product that penetrates concrete.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:10 PM

9,907 posts, read 9,579,736 times
If you have a service animal and/or comfort pet, even if that is legal to be there, do people still have problems with this kind of pet doing damage? That would suck if the landlord wants a building with NO pets, due to the problems we have seen here in this topic and now has to have one that could damage their property.

What can a landlord do in this case? So now he owns the property and cannot have it as he wants? And I don't mean he should be allowed to be a jerk or break the law, but seems like landlords who SHOULD have the rights, are then trumped by renters who should have lower rights than he in this case.

ok yeah I know disabled people need a service animal, but still. seems landlords rights are being lowered more and more these days. And people take advantage.. i.e. when the people want a pet and try to pass it off as a comfort pet.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
a service animal and/or comfort pet,.........this kind of pet doing damage? ....... when the people want a pet and try to pass it off as a comfort pet.
Service animals and emotional support animals are not pets. The law is specific and any landlord who wants to stay in business had better learn the law and follow it.

Tenants with service animals and emotional support animals can not be made to pay a pet deposit, but they are liable for the costs of repairing any damage.

Yes, unfortunately, many tenants will attempt to pass of a pet as a service animal or emotional support animal, pretending that they themselves are handicapped in order to get special privileges. Those cheats make life very difficult for the people who genuinely need a service animal or emotional support animal, because landlords are constantly exposed too so many liars that they tend to assume that anyone claiming to have a service animal or emotional support animal is lying about their pet.

I once saw a housing wanted ad where the tenant claimed to have 3 service dogs, 2 service animal cats, and a service animal parrot. I suspect that those were not all service animals and that the tenant was attempting to get around the limits on the number of pets allowed. (I didn't speak to them, so didn't verify that, but would have been very surprised if those were all legitimate service animals)

Old 03-09-2017, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Dogs I get. They can do a lot of damage to their environment. But what is with a deposit for cats? I can't think of what kind of damage they can do to a unit (assuming they are fixed).
Not only cat Urine as others have stated, depending on the animal, clawed up carpets, clawed up other areas, door jambs, Heck, I even had a cat once that broke a louvered window trying to get outside, oh oh oh not to mention the clawed up screens.

Cat urine is also TERRIBLE smelling... and hard to get out of underfloor when soaked through carpet and pad, most likely the plywood would need to be treated, primers, sanitized, etc.... probably eaiier to replace the plywood on the affected areas.

Cats, I have two, I love them, but you've got to be kidding me.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:16 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Service animals and emotional support animals are not pets. The law is specific and any landlord who wants to stay in business had better learn the law and follow it.

Tenants with service animals and emotional support animals can not be made to pay a pet deposit, but they are liable for the costs of repairing any damage.

Yes, unfortunately, many tenants will attempt to pass of a pet as a service animal or emotional support animal, pretending that they themselves are handicapped in order to get special privileges. Those cheats make life very difficult for the people who genuinely need a service animal or emotional support animal, because landlords are constantly exposed too so many liars that they tend to assume that anyone claiming to have a service animal or emotional support animal is lying about their pet.

I once saw a housing wanted ad where the tenant claimed to have 3 service dogs, 2 service animal cats, and a service animal parrot. I suspect that those were not all service animals and that the tenant was attempting to get around the limits on the number of pets allowed. (I didn't speak to them, so didn't verify that, but would have been very surprised if those were all legitimate service animals)
There is no such thing as a service animal cat or a service animal parrot. Service animals can only be dogs, or in some cases, miniature horses. That's it. Anything else is a fake.

They COULD Have been companion animals, but you are allowed to require a doctor's note for those.

But the mere fact that they were calling cats and a parrot "service animals" tells you that they are fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting