Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 02:43 AM

7 posts, read 18,842 times

Advertisements

I've been renting for 9 years and am moving out soon. I have noticed some hairline cracks that have appeared over the years on the cultured marble sink in the bathroom. Apparently, this is due to thermal shock, when hot water runs over a cold cultured marble sink. Had I known that before, I would have paid more attention not to run hot water in the sink, but instead increasing the temperature gradually. The cracks are only on the surface so it's essentially aesthetic. I'm not sure that there is really something that could be done other than replacing the sink, therefore I don't know if it's better to leave it as it is. I could try to DIY but I don't want to risk making it look worse. Can my landlord charge me for that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 03:16 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,235,146 times
That wouldn't be considered normal wear so you can be charged. Cultured marble is good for 20-30 years (it can last much longer with proper care but will yellow over time no matter what) so expect depreciation.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflyair View Post
I've been renting for 9 years and am moving out soon.
I have noticed some hairline cracks that have appeared over the years on the cultured marble sink...
How long was the sink in use prior to you moving in?
What sort of condition was it in then?

Is anything else in the apt showing more than wear and tear damage?

Quote:
Can my landlord charge me for that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
They can try... but any LL who does after such a long tenancy would be an idiot.
Especially so if that rather inexpensive item is the only item on the list.

Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 AM

Thank you for your replies, I really appreciate it. I'm feeling so bad right now as I tried my best not to damage anything, but sometimes things happen, lesson learned. I will take responsibility for it if I have to, I just hope it won't be too expensive. The sink was only 1 year old prior to me moving in. There is no other significant damage other than some scuff marks on the wall and some light scratches on the laminate floor, the carpet is clean and has no stains. Everything else is clean and the appliances are in good working condition.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
I've been renting for 9 years and am moving out soon. I have noticed some hairline cracks that have appeared over the years on the cultured marble sink in the bathroom. Apparently, this is due to thermal shock, when hot water runs over a cold cultured marble sink. Had I known that before, I would have paid more attention not to run hot water in the sink, but instead increasing the temperature gradually. The cracks are only on the surface so it's essentially aesthetic. I'm not sure that there is really something that could be done other than replacing the sink, therefore I don't know if it's better to leave it as it is. I could try to DIY but I don't want to risk making it look worse. Can my landlord charge me for that? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
They can charge you, but without giving you specific instructions on how to 'handle' the marble, they basically shot themselves in the foot. The average tenant might not have any idea how to deal with granite, marble or glass top stoves and any landlord, with a lick of sense, would make their care/handling a part of the lease.

Does your lease say anything about 'thermal shock' and these sinks?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:27 AM

The lease doesn't say anything about thermal shock and nothing about that type of sink either. There are 3 hairline cracks that measure about 1 inch and one that is 2 inches and a few very small ones. They are all located near the drain. Should I hire a company and have it fixed at my own expenses or do I leave it as it is and take the chance and see if my landlord is going to charge me?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:31 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
...or do I leave it as it is and take the chance and see if my landlord is going to charge me?
I don't see any damage described that isn't attributable to either normal wear/tear
or issues beyond your control such as poor installation or such.

Regardless... the NET value of the lav top ($100 new) after nine years use is negligible.
If the sink isn't LEAKING I wouldn't even mention it.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 AM

Kim and MrRational, Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:54 AM

8,144 posts, read 8,341,971 times
I would NEVER charge tenants for this kind of damage -- its normal wear and tear -- unless I specifically instructed the tenants on proper handling of an item and they obviously didn't follow instructions.

Old 03-11-2017, 12:09 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
I can't know what to tell you without actually seeing the damage. If it is 100% exactly as you describe, I wouldn't charge for it. If that's not what it looks like caused it, or there are chips or burns, I might charge for replacement of the sink. You've been there for 9 years and if you have been a good trouble-free tenant, that is worth something.

I am also more generous about repairs if a good tenant made a serious effort to clean-- not just running a broom over the kitchen floor and claiming they left the place better than they found it.

I doubt that there is any prorating the value of a bathroom sink. A sink is not something that wears out. If it is just the sink that needs to be changed, that isn't all that expensive. If it is a built-in sink that is integrated into the cabinet top, that is going to have to have the whole thing replaced and that costs more.

There is no way to know what your landlord is going to do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting