Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 09:07 PM

786 posts, read 3,914,845 times

Advertisements

Any tips on showing our home to potential renters? I know the family so I'm not worried about that just wondering if I do the same thing as when you have a house for sale. I've thoroughly cleaned, but should I take down personal photos, etc. so they can picture themselves living there or do I not need to go as far as that. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 06:31 AM

203 posts, read 926,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrissCT View Post
Any tips on showing our home to potential renters? I know the family so I'm not worried about that just wondering if I do the same thing as when you have a house for sale. I've thoroughly cleaned, but should I take down personal photos, etc. so they can picture themselves living there or do I not need to go as far as that. Thanks!
Of course take down the personal photos. And to make their lives easier, it doesnt hurt to have a couple extras............i gave my renters a microwave, had hangers ready to go and had a list of repair persons, government agencies and community happenings available. Not to mention, as they were previous apartment dwellers.........all the necessary stuff, like a rake, lawnmower, shovel etc etc

Old 03-05-2008, 07:00 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,738,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overtaxedunderpaided View Post
Of course take down the personal photos. And to make their lives easier, it doesnt hurt to have a couple extras............i gave my renters a microwave, had hangers ready to go and had a list of repair persons, government agencies and community happenings available. Not to mention, as they were previous apartment dwellers.........all the necessary stuff, like a rake, lawnmower, shovel etc etc
You supplied a lawn mower? You're pretty trusting. I don't know if I'd give renters a mower, unless I counted on losing it when they left.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,917,721 times
Our landlord left a lawnmower here... of course, it is very tempermental. We had the blade sharpened right away... talk about dull!

We are renters. It's nice when the landlord leaves the yard stuff for you to use, but be clear about what will happen if it breaks - ie - will they need to replace it, or will you? Our landlords also left their washer/dryer... ours is sitting out in the garage. The best things they left? Instructions for the fireplace flu, instructions for the sprinkler system (handwritten) and TOILET PAPER!

Oh, and if you want them to treat your home like it's their own, let them make it their own... allow pictures to be hung, curtain rods, plant flowers, etc. Our next door neighbors (also renters) aren't allowed to do any of that and they say they feel like they're living in temporary quarters. Unhappy renters are not good renters.

Last edited by sskkc; 03-05-2008 at 08:02 AM.. Reason: adding

Old 03-05-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtaxedunderpaided View Post
We'll definitely take that stuff down when we move, but do we take it down just to show them the house to see if they want to rent it?

We do plan on leaving our washer/dryer, it will make less for us to move. We also plan on having our own landscaper mow and take care of the yard. We rented for a year and the landlord provided a landscaper and it was so nice.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:28 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,481,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
You supplied a lawn mower? You're pretty trusting. I don't know if I'd give renters a mower, unless I counted on losing it when they left.
I provided a power mower years ago until my Insurance Agent advised against it...

Old 03-05-2008, 06:19 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,030,318 times
Not every renter is someone who wants to steal. A lot of us are decent folks. We actually made improvements here FOR FREE.
(new locks). We didn't charge the ex-landlord for these nor did she offer to take the $40 plus labor off our rent.

We'd never steal a thing.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:46 AM

203 posts, read 926,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I provided a power mower years ago until my Insurance Agent advised against it...
Good point!

And nice touch with the landscaper!..........we all live busy lives and it's great to have one less thing to do. And, Yea I'd still take down the pics, you want them to visualize themselves living there. Im willing to eat the cost of the "extras" if it makes for happier and more long term tenants. Mine have been great and i know from all the stories i've heard, I've been extremely lucky.

And No, not all renters are thieves and not all landlords are crooks. If they respect my property and dont treat me like their own personal slave I will do everything possible to make them happy and want to stay.

Pay the rent on time, dont be a thorn in my side and I'll do my very best Not to raise the rent and respect your privacy

Old 03-10-2008, 11:54 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,198,510 times
-I really REALLY love just seeing a fresh coat of paint. It just feels like its ready for me and only me.

-Some sort of neutral window hangings that cover the windows
(at least bedroom and bath)
-some liquid handsoap and a roll of t.p.
-shower curtain (clear liner - cheap and matches everything)

I have had landlords list the local stores and utilities on a sheet of paper.
Made everything REALLY nice to move into knowing where to get this and that.

Old 03-10-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
-I really REALLY love just seeing a fresh coat of paint. It just feels like its ready for me and only me.

-Some sort of neutral window hangings that cover the windows
(at least bedroom and bath)
-some liquid handsoap and a roll of t.p.
-shower curtain (clear liner - cheap and matches everything)

I have had landlords list the local stores and utilities on a sheet of paper.
Made everything REALLY nice to move into knowing where to get this and that.
Nice tips, I am thinking about repainting the kids bedrooms neutral colors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting