U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 11:42 AM

749 posts, read 365,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I rented in a college town for more than 25 years, and the sad truth is that the vast majority of landlords there were profit maximizers who assumed and planned for annual tenant turnover, and increased rents like clockwork. In the 1980s, I faced five rent increases in five years, was priced out and had to downsize three times, and the last time lived in my employer's offsite storage for four months, at which time I found a great and spacious below-market duplex owned by a retired teacher who had lived in it until retirement (the SFR was converted at that time to two units) and was renting it below-market to stable long-term low-maintenance tenants in order to ultimately leave it to her son with a huge step-up in tax basis.
I'm not surprised. At all. That's a vicious cycle, and it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 03:42 PM

6,097 posts, read 2,505,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
You still have to pay rent in trailer courts and RV parks. And your "shipping container" idea is just plain illegal.

My property taxes alone are over $14,000.00 a year for a very small duplex. I charge my tenant $1100.00 a month...which includes all utilities. So trust me, it does not even come close to covering what I pay in taxes, mortgage, insurance, water, electric, oil heat, cable, internet and maintenance. I do not see myself as "contributing squat" to my community.

I truly find your remarks offensive, out of touch and ignorant.
The people in the containers would not be contributing and its not illegal other than in very specific posted areas. Just because you don't like something does not make it illegal.

Old 03-29-2017, 06:58 PM

5,917 posts, read 4,063,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The people in the containers would not be contributing and its not illegal other than in very specific posted areas. Just because you don't like something does not make it illegal.
Yeah.....no.

Living like that would likely be illegal in many, many areas, except for probably remote unincorporated-type areas probably pretty far from job centers.

Edited to add...I do agree that there seems to be an uptick in people wanting to live quasi-nomadic/homeless/off-the-grid but that doesn't mean it's legal.

Old 03-29-2017, 09:36 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,400,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Really??? Even if they were legal, which they are not in the way you describe, who do you think would pay the property taxes and utilities on the land you placed the container on?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:12 AM

6,097 posts, read 2,505,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Really??? Even if they were legal, which they are not in the way you describe, who do you think would pay the property taxes and utilities on the land you placed the container on?
The container would stay on the trailer and you live out of it like a motor home, but a container has more square footage to add things like solar and a mini water treatment.

Even if it is in an area where its technically illegal (which not all areas are) a truck and container trailer does not look like a dwelling. Its all about perception.

The person with the container would not pay squat, this would be the consequence to the establishment for purposely pricing large numbers of people out of the market both housing and jobs. If you dont devise strategys that place consequecnes on those that are making your life harder then they will just keep doing it.

Old 03-30-2017, 12:52 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,400,644 times
And where would you put this so called "container mobile home"? How would you get water, sewer and electric? Who would give you a free truck and container? Who would pay for the truck insurance, tags and gas?

Old 03-30-2017, 04:16 PM

193 posts, read 79,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
Would you mind telling me what happened to make you so angry? You may have already said, but I didn't see it.
I don't mind but have concern if the previous LL know of this forum and we will continue to do what we must. It was really bad and we have observed what they have done to other tenants and even the ambulance was involved for the poor tenant.

LL and landlord & tenant are all in it together and it is not worth fighting it in court because tenants always lose.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:17 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
I'm not surprised. At all. That's a vicious cycle, and it sucks.

At the time I was feeling happy and smug, as I believe I had the only affordable studio unit in town. It was the upstairs of the SFR, which had been converted to a 450-sf walkup second unit. Much larger than any of the three previous studios I had rented. I had literally pounded the pavement and perused the newspapers for four months; it was first advertised in a Saturday newspaper; I called right at 8am, I was the first to view it, and got it right away - a half hour later and someone else would have gotten it.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:28 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Yeah.....no.

Living like that would likely be illegal in many, many areas, except for probably remote unincorporated-type areas probably pretty far from job centers.

Edited to add...I do agree that there seems to be an uptick in people wanting to live quasi-nomadic/homeless/off-the-grid but that doesn't mean it's legal.

As local and regional housing shortages expand in scope, designers and developers are expanding their approaches - just as tiny houses are emerging today as a viable housing option, container housing is on the radar at an earlier conceptual stage. It's not inconceivable that in, say, 10 years, container living might exist at a level comparable to where tiny houses are today.

I believe this is possible only because of the "green" or "environmental" cachet enjoyed by tiny houses - if they had been pushed by poor people seeking affordable housing, they would have been laughed right out of town.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:38 PM

2,081 posts, read 2,326,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Thank you. Unfortunately as nice as I treat my tenants there a few tenants from hell who won't return my phone calls or emails, or if they are late and promise to pay on X date they don't, they refuse to sign for legal notices, they treat me like their personal free ATM.

That's why I'm selling all my properties as soon as the leases terminate, and there will be one less decent landlord renting properties. I've had it with being a decent landlord. I'll continue being decent until all my properties are sold, and then I'll be free from abusive tenants who think I am their personal ATM.

I don't understand why tenants don't understand the least term, "rent is due on the 1st of each month" and "a late fee applies each day if the rent is not paid by the due date."

I could write a book on all the tenant excuses and promises made but not kept. Unfortunately there would be no market for a book written by a well meaning but tenant abused landlord.

I'll turn my writing skills to fiction after I get out of the LL business. Or I'll pursue my art, cooking and soapmaking hobbies, and get a new dog to replace my recently deceased dog.

Meanwhile I will turn a deaf ear on tenants that appear to be placing unreasonable demands on landlords while at the same time not respecting and obeying their lease contract terms.
I get it. I'm a tenant but I do appreciate the fact that it can't be easy being a landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting