Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 06:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Oh, the sheer audacity of those people! How dare they think they should save money or not engage in conspicuous consumption.

My husband and I live well below our means, always have. That is one of reasons we were able to buy our first property. It is a good practice to get in.

I did not say that I have a problem with them - I mentioned earlier in this thread that I was once one of them, living in the cheapest unsubsidized apartment in town while working full time. All I said is that they exist, and as such, they represent a real obstacle to the poorest in seeking affordable housing - their mere occupancy of the cheapest units prevents the poorest from living well below their means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 06:47 PM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
With the conversation branching off. I think there's a huge difference between the phrase "milking the system" and living below your means. That could mean anything, like cheaper living not necessarily income based places but cheaper areas in general, or a 500,000k house vs a 50,000k house (which aren't uncommon in my state) buying at bulk grocery stores or not name brands, not having new cars, not purchasing new trendy clothes every season, not eating out all the time. Just because you can and its what normal people do doesn't make it normal for everyone.

And with the conversation turning, someONE needs to chill and do a little more sleuthing because they aren't the only ones with section 8 experience from the other side of the desk. The topic is how to not lose my section 8. Obviously most people will be taken aback by that attitude and will have very little sympathy for those who feel, for lack of better words, entitled to assistance that there are people out there who DESPERATELY need this kind of assistance, and the are people like OP who, again bad wording, appear, to have no concept that free housing isn't for those with 2 incomes or 2 able bodies who are more than capable of securing their own living arrangements.

Old 04-09-2017, 10:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
and the are people like OP who, again bad wording, appear, to have no concept that free housing isn't for those with 2 incomes or 2 able bodies who are more than capable of securing their own living arrangements.
Now here you are wrong. If the legal maximum income limits says that the OP qualifies for low income housing - and please note, that nobody has ever said FREE housing - then they qualify. They are able-bodied, and both are working full-time. Even working full time, with two incomes, they are still just barely above what is poverty level where they live.

Please see this.

In Santa Clara County, in the SF Bay Area, if you make $63,400, then you are poverty level for that area.

That's how high the cost of living is there.

Now, this couple could just say all they have is the one income of around $30K. But, the other spouse got a job making around $40K.

Please note: they could have just said they couldn't find a job, so they could keep their subsidized housing. But, they are trying hard to make more money.

Now they make $70K which is barely above what's allowed by HUD for Section 8 housing.

So, they need to find out if they have enough deductions, etc., so they don't lose their affordable housing.

Now, be real. Let's say the housing authority says that they can't keep their housing if they keep the second income.

What are their options? Keep the second job and become homeless?

Now, you might say they should move. How do they save up the money to move? Move where?

Do they also give up the jobs they have?

It's easy to be a hard a** with rhetoric. But how about realistic solutions.

Pretend they're someone you love with a face. What if it was your kid?

Old 04-09-2017, 10:22 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Now here you are wrong. If the legal maximum income limits says that the OP qualifies for low income housing - and please note, that nobody has ever said FREE housing - then they qualify. They are able-bodied, and both are working full-time. Even working full time, with two incomes, they are still just barely above what is poverty level where they live.

Please see this.

In Santa Clara County, in the SF Bay Area, if you make $63,400, then you are poverty level for that area.

Now, this couple could just say all they have is the one income of around $30K. But, the other spouse got a job making around $40K.

Please note: they could have just said they couldn't find a job, so they could keep their subsidized housing. But, they are trying hard to make more money.

Now they make $70K which is barely above what's allowed by HUD for Section 8 housing.

So, they need to find out if they have enough deductions, etc., so they don't lose their affordable housing.

Now, be real. Let's say the housing authority says that they can't keep their housing if they keep the second income.

Now, you might say they should move. How do they save up the money to move? Move where?

I don't think you are right about Santa Clara County. You can't get section 8 unless you earn 60% or less of AMI which for two persons is $53,580. https://affordablehousingonline.com/...ara-County#ami

Old 04-09-2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think you are right about Santa Clara County. You can't get section 8 unless you earn 60% or less of AMI which for two persons is $53,580. https://affordablehousingonline.com/...ara-County#ami
From the housing authority:

Income Limits - Waiting Lists Applicants | Housing Authority of the County of Santa Clara

HUD max limits for 2 person household is $63,400 for Santa Clara County.

The link you provided is not the housing authority, but some private website.

Old 04-10-2017, 11:57 AM

68 posts, read 90,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Are you kidding me????

The maximum income will vary with area. Exercise your google muscle. And you might also try to find out about your legal obligation regarding reporting a change in income. And what the consequences are for ignoring it.
Hi,
I agree with jacqueg, The maximum income will vary from state to start, so you take advice from professional realtor
Thanks!!

Old 04-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksmith15 View Post
Hi,
I agree with jacqueg, The maximum income will vary from state to start, so you take advice from professional realtor
Thanks!!
Realtors don't know anything about housing authority/HUD Section 8 pay standards or income limits. You need to talk to the housing authority, not a realtor who won't give you the time of day because you can't buy a house.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:37 PM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
Quote:

Please see this.

I guess I don't have a good grasp on what its like to live in an expensive area. But, if you can't live there, move. Yes, move. Yes, get a different job. Yes, I would be even harder on my child if she gave me a sob story about living in LA or New York City because its so hard and expensive, MOVE. You chose to move there. I have more sympathy for strangers than I do family, oddly enough. Yes, I understand relocating and not having anything. I was a minor on a park bench. I'm one of the few young people who actually don't think I'm entitled to anything.

The topic wasn't "I'm worried because I'm so thankful about this new job but my expenses will drastically change and I need to vent and have someone who can relate" vs "how to not lose my section 8" there's a big difference.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:10 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
Quote:

Please see this.

Low wage service industry workers are the backbone of any city,

Old 04-13-2017, 07:30 PM

209 posts, read 169,003 times
Cheap I've made less than 40k in Boston and still paid my 1100 month rent with no section 8. Must me nice .
I'm getting closer to hanging it up at 33 years old and go live the good life. Paid 20 years of ss tax. Time to get my money and free housing, free phone, free Jordan's.
Turn in your freebies and pay up, or quit working and keep stealing tax payers money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting