Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 05:58 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times

Advertisements

I'm still having trouble believing 80% of Area Median Income qualifies you for Section 8. It should be a much lower percentage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2017, 02:02 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,192,582 times
LMAO
this thread is funny. in my area a 2 bedroom is 1,800 a month now times that by 12 months it comes out to be 21,600 smakers now subtract the 21,600 from the 70,000 leaves the OP 48,400. now explain to all of us why you need sect 8 enquiring minds want to know. i hope the OP looses there sect 8 they can afford to pay the full rental amount if there making 70k a year!!! there's more people that are truly in NEED of the HELP that can't the help because of ****s like the OP people that have mental illness and people with problems like cancer patients!!! but yet this idiot is worried about loosing there sect 8 where there perfectly capable of working

Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
I can't believe anyone would come here and admit they make $70k and get section 8. Entitlement generation. I pay so someone can live in the bay area while Ilive in south Dakota. Haha.

What's even more sad is how many freeloaders can live for next to nothing in these culturally rich areas while others struggle in areas not so exciting to get by.

Old 04-17-2017, 03:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I'm still having trouble believing 80% of Area Median Income qualifies you for Section 8. It should be a much lower percentage.

No, max income for Section 8 is 50% of AMFI. There is an annual recertification process at which time your rent can change or you can be considered no longer eligible.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:33 PM

101 posts, read 176,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I can't believe anyone would come here and admit they make $70k and get section 8. Entitlement generation. I pay so someone can live in the bay area while Ilive in south Dakota. Haha.

What's even more sad is how many freeloaders can live for next to nothing in these culturally rich areas while others struggle in areas not so exciting to get by.
SOME YOUR TAXES DOLLARS ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO HOW MUCH TAXES WE PAY A YEAR. OUR SALARY IS $70,000 NOT $13K LIKE SOME OF YOU!

I live in the Bay SF area. 2 bedrooms apartment is +$2200/month.
https://www.forrent.com/find/CA/metr.../area-East+Bay
I don't live in Utah where rent is like $400 a month for 2 bedrooms.

If you think that I am more fortunate than you then just move to the Bay area and you will know how wealthy you are with $70,000/year - taxes - $26,400(rent).

Last edited by neoiey; 04-18-2017 at 08:46 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 10:10 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
SOME YOUR TAXES DOLLARS ARE NOT EVEN CLOSE TO HOW MUCH TAXES WE PAY A YEAR. OUR SALARY IS $70,000 NOT $13K LIKE SOME OF YOU!

If you think that I am more fortunate than you then just move to the Bay area and you will know how wealthy you are with $70,000/year - taxes - $26,400(rent).

Why does couple need a section 8 two bedroom.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Why does couple need a section 8 two bedroom.

I think a single parent + kid = 2 bedroom

Old 04-19-2017, 04:11 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

IF you can't afford the area you're living in, why do you live there?

After rent you have more than enough to support yourselves...if not, you need to rethink your lifestyle and budget. Let sec 8 help those who really need it...you don't need it. What other govt programs are you participating in that you really shouldn't be?

Hopefully this foolishness will come to to an end when you report your new earnings. Someone upthread suggested not reporting your new job in case it didn't work out...well, that's on you to make it work out. The govt is not there to be your safety net...you and your dh are grown adults, act like adults and support yourselves.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:19 AM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
^
That's why I'm upset about this topic. Its not the topic itself, because some people DO really need it. It's the attitude that comes along with it. They feel they need it when they don't. They feel entitled to free rent (excuse me, $50 rent, someone will argue about what the term free rent means). THEN THEYRE PUTTING DOWN PEOPLE WHO ARE TRULY IN POVERTY. That very last post from OP they're BOASTING about their income and putting down people who are legitimately under the poverty line.

Plus, OP, if you did just gain 40k a year, paying regular rent should still put you ahead finance wise. Everything else should still be the same price that you were using the other job from. You still come out further ahead.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:01 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:

So then move out of the bay area into a surrounding area. Get a 1 BR apartment. Your own link shows 1BR apartments in the surrounding areas for $1600/month. What's the reason this isn't an option for you?

WHy do you need a 2BR right now if there are no children in the picture? Even if your wife got pregnant, you can still get by with a 1BR for a while. A newborn will sleep in the parents room for a while, so you have time to downside your living and work on advancing your careers.

The reality is that your income now disqualifies you for assistance. Rather than accept that and prepare to make changes on your new financial picture, it sounds like you are stamping your feet at not wanting to give up your current lifestyle. Yes, it will be a "temporary" step back, but as you both work to further your career, you should be able to get back to the lifestyle you previously enjoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting