Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 12:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,779 times

Advertisements

Moved in March 5th. Paid several months in advance. Sewage backs up. Faucets start leaking. Get high electric. Boils down to the water heater from the leaky faucet. Replaces 1 faucet. Month later second faucet leaking again. Finally gets replaced. Woke up, my bed is falling into the subfloor. Moved it, roof started to leak in 2 places. A/C dies, open the window to discover 2 hornet nests. Black mold starts growing by the front door. My back deck fell through 3 times. Friend stops by says it smells like ****. I guess the permanent fix was to leave the cap off the line. So I have used toilet tissue and sewage in my side yard. There were other issues but I'm trying not to bytch and moan just state facts.

We went to court on July 12th over a $40 balance I refused to pay until something got fixed. Judge let's me know I should of put rent into escrow but the problems sound severe enough to warrant a hearing. He refused to give her a Writ of Possession.

Get home, the building inspector finally decides to come. He cites them for several items and leaves.

Very next day I have another unlawful detainer and a letter from social services. Apparently I've been committing some sort of fraud, my children aren't mine by blood and some other foolishness. After letting her know what she could suck I go home.

Next day, child protective services is at my house for alleged abuse. The case is now closed.

This has all happened within a two week time.

Long story short I moved out 7/30. I just didn't feel safe. The kitchen subfloor started caving in and God it's hot without A/C (she wouldn't fix it). Weeks before I email everyone in the city behind please just stop by and see the condition of this house. It's falling apart board by board. Not one person came by.

Went again to court 8/2, judge refused to give her a judgement and maintained the original 9/13 hearing date. I have sufficient video / pictures to prove the home was a cess pool. But how can I burn her to the stake? What am I missing if anything? What angle am I not considering. What other evidence should I have to support my claims?

One real pissed off woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 01:34 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky-Jupiter_Rising View Post
Moved in March 5th. Paid several months in advance.
Bet you won't do that again... huh?
No responsible LL will accept advance payment.

Quote:
Sewage backs up. Faucets start leaking. Get high electric.
Boils down to the water heater from the leaky faucet.
We went to court on July 12th
Long story short I moved out 7/30.

One real pissed off woman!
Live and learn.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:34 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Bet you won't do that again... huh?
No responsible LL will accept advance payment.

Live and learn.
I just wonder how much time she took to really inspect this dum....I meant unit. Due diligence people, it's a real thing.

Old 08-16-2017, 06:59 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
That's why financially responsible people don't pay months in advance. You need to be able to get out if you've made a mistake.

You have moved out. Take your photos to court with you. If you have the photos the judge will most likely not give the judgement. Although, next time, save yourself some trouble and escrow rent, which is what you should have done.

It's too bad the place looked like a beautiful well maintained middle class house when you looked at it before renting it and then turned into a disastrous slum the day you moved in. Maybe next time, look around better. A place that is not well maintained will not be well maintained after you move in.

A place that is in good condition with everything working is a place where the landlord does repairs.

Oh, and if you are paying cheap rent, you are not going to get a fancy place to live. Cheap is cheap for a reason and you don't get good service for cheap..

Old 08-16-2017, 08:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
How many Months in advance did you pay?

You moved in 5 Months ago.... Between 5 months & 5.5 months it fell apart???

Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,779 times
That's why financially responsible people don't pay months in advance. You need to be able to get out if you've made a mistake.

That's the Hallmark of good credit. Paying in time and in advance.

It's too bad the place looked like a beautiful well maintained middle class house when you looked at it before renting it and then turned into a disastrous slum the day you moved in. Maybe next time, look around better. A place that is not well maintained will not be well maintained after you move in.

Darling I'm not a 22 year old renter. If it looked like nino browns crack house I wouldn't rent it.

A place that is in good condition with everything working is a place where the landlord does repairs.

Oh, and if you are paying cheap rent, you are not going to get a fancy place to live. Cheap is cheap for a reason and you don't get good service for cheap..

Who said anything about cheap rent? Where is the assumption of a run down heap coming from? Are you suggesting that I rented a hovel in drug alley and should of expected this? You know what they say about assumptions, right?

Old 08-16-2017, 09:54 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,480,717 times
Quote:
But how can I burn her to the stake?
You have already moved out, what would "burning her at the stake" do for you?

Old 08-17-2017, 12:33 AM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Quote:

Darling I'm not a 22 year old renter. If it looked like nino browns crack house I wouldn't rent it.

Who said anything about cheap rent? Where is the assumption of a run down heap coming from? Are you suggesting that I rented a hovel in drug alley and should of expected this? You know what they say about assumptions, right?
So it was in pretty good shape upon "looksee" but it fell apart the day you moved in?

You're paying "big rent" and nothing works? Black mold "grew" around the front door & after you moved in...might be your lack of cleaning.

How much are you paid per post?

Old 08-17-2017, 03:07 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
So it was in pretty good shape upon "looksee" but it fell apart the day you moved in?

You're paying "big rent" and nothing works? Black mold "grew" around the front door & after you moved in...might be your lack of cleaning.

How much are you paid per post?
LOL It didn't fall apart when she moved in.... shes has lived there for 5+ Months! Has fallen apart in the Last 2 Weeks!

Old 08-17-2017, 05:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:

Paying on time and in advance works for your mortgages, car payments and credit card bills...not rentals.

Well, what did it look when you rented it? I have a hard time believing that in less than 5 mths the beautiful, spotless and perfect unit you inspected, fell apart. That just does not happen.

As for burning someone at the stake..you can go to court and let the judge figure it out.

The assumption of this place being a run down dump is based on what you posted..nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure the assumption about cheap rent is correct as well...decent landlords, with decent units do not run their business like this.

Good luck and let us know how court went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting