Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 04:07 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Oh no it's much weirder than that...

Two couples in two bedrooms (running total = 4), I'm in the third bedroom (5), rent collector in living room with hanging sheets serving functionally as walls/door) (6), couple plus baby in garage (converted to living space) (9), one in RV on property (10), one in backyard tent with sleeping bag (11). The heat source is the kitchen stove (seriously) - the living room is closest to it. My bedroom is furthest from the heat source, and, as such, gets freezing cold in the winter. But using a space heater is out of the question because all three bedrooms plus the bathroom and living room appear to be wired to a single circuit, and turning on a space heater trips the breaker and invariably causes anger and gnashing of teeth. (Living Room Man has to get up and reset the breaker, and he gets very unhappy when that happens.)

And yes, just using the bathroom is often a hassle; so much so that I try diligently to use restrooms elsewhere to the extent feasible.

and yet, you continue to stay....

If you can rent a legal room elsewhere, why are living here? Oh, yeah...you can't pass the rental criteria set by landlords. Oh, well..maybe in your next life you'll make better choices and decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 04:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
In the zoo in which I live - a small 3BR / 1BA house (one-story, no basement, just a crawl space) with 11 current occupants - we have a new arrival. The proud mom lives in the house intermittently with her boyfriend (the person to whom we pay rent - not to be confused with the absentee owner/landlord - is her father) and apparently she owns a condo in the area, splitting her time between the two homes.

She had been away for six months, and her return was expected, while the newborn in tow was not.

So now in addition to the usual zoo life, there is a screaming baby in the overcrowded house.

Is a rent discount appropriate in a situation like this?

Nope. It's no different than a neighbor playing loud music. You simply move elsewhere.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:18 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Then go find that room in a normal house...what's stopping you?
I suspect that's rooted in a fear of being so near to "normal" people.
Well, that and those "normal" people not wanting him to be so near.

Old 04-05-2017, 06:20 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
My premise is that there IS a "right price" for living in an overcrowded zoo; specifically a price lower than the right price for living in an average-drama house at a lawful occupancy level.
Caviar taste on a McDonalds budget.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:07 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Sadly... sharing a 4BR house with 3 others is really just McDonalds taste.
But doing it on a hipster slacker budget? Even that is asking too much of the world.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:39 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I suspect that's rooted in a fear of being so near to "normal" people.
Well, that and those "normal" people not wanting him to be so near.
Anyone who's seen the OP's posts over time knows this is putting it mildly.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Oh no it's much weirder than that...

Two couples in two bedrooms (running total = 4), I'm in the third bedroom (5), rent collector in living room with hanging sheets serving functionally as walls/door) (6), couple plus baby in garage (converted to living space) (9), one in RV on property (10), one in backyard tent with sleeping bag (11). The heat source is the kitchen stove (seriously) - the living room is closest to it. My bedroom is furthest from the heat source, and, as such, gets freezing cold in the winter. But using a space heater is out of the question because all three bedrooms plus the bathroom and living room appear to be wired to a single circuit, and turning on a space heater trips the breaker and invariably causes anger and gnashing of teeth. (Living Room Man has to get up and reset the breaker, and he gets very unhappy when that happens.)

And yes, just using the bathroom is often a hassle; so much so that I try diligently to use restrooms elsewhere to the extent feasible.
Sounds like you have the most expensive room, all by yourself and inside, I wouldn't complain if I were you.

But if you took the $500 from this room plus the $250 from your storage unit, that's $750 available for a better place.

Didn't you recently mention you were possibly moving to a normal place with someone? Work on that.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Oh my. You are quite a glutton for punishment. Enjoy!

Old 04-05-2017, 01:33 PM

586 posts, read 554,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Or perhaps the parole office is convenient and nearby.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:26 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
and yet, you continue to stay....

If you can rent a legal room elsewhere, why are living here? Oh, yeah...you can't pass the rental criteria set by landlords. Oh, well..maybe in your next life you'll make better choices and decisions.

High rents + upfront move-in costs + low low vacancy rate + housing shortage + low income + age/gender discrimination = and the alternative is what?

Plenty of room rentals don't require a credit check but this market is more favorable to young adults and especially to women. Many homes are owned by working or retired women, and such owners overwhelmingly prefer to rent to other women, plus millennials are disproportionately represented in this area. I have no desire to rent a room with a bunch of millennials, and they probably have no desire to live with anyone over 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting