U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 12:38 PM

7,036 posts, read 5,210,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
First...you lied about your identity....?????? Second...you lied in order to receive info on someone you have no right to...??? Lastly...You lied, you snuck around and by doing so you violated the tenants privacy...get it now? You are lucky, so far, that you haven't had your pants sue off...by the tenant and by their employer.
Koale
I still don't see where Camfires could be sued. If the employer said something inappropriate then the case would be against the employer.

If you want to sue, you have to prove damages. Not getting an apartment because you lied about your salary isn't going to cut it. You didn't get the apartment not because of any wrongdoing on the LL's part, but because of your dishonesty OR the fact that your boss is a blabbermouth. Neither is the fault of the LL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2017, 01:44 PM

866 posts, read 447,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
this might work for a Mom and Pop shop, but not for a large company or organization.

If you tried talking to the director/boss of a prospective tenant (or employee for that matter) who works in my dept, you'd get me. You'd tell me who you were and why you're calling and I'd tell you to call HR. I will not give you any info in regards to anyone. And I'd follow up with that employee as well

I won't deny or confirm employment...I will send you directly to HR. It's up to you to decide if going to HR is worth it and even then they won't give info over the phone, you have to fax or mail them an employment verification form.
Hence my first post stating "local employers, i.e., not PepsiCo". Koale has really mucked this thread up with his pointless blathering and false accusations.

And since I have permission from the tenant in writing, why would I care if your legal department had my contact info...? That's quite the red herring, don't you think?

For the OP, make sure you have that signed consent form and don't be afraid to ask questions. The worst that can happen is what Kim has accurately described. Dealing with those employment verification forms can be a speedy deal or a matter of weeks. Depends on the employer. Many large corporations have an employment verification hotline you can call after the applicant gives you the code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or