U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 10:30 AM

16,512 posts, read 17,561,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard007 View Post
I have not signed the lease yet, I was planning on going in today after work and question the landlord about this and what she had stated to me before, just wanted to get some opinions and knowledge on the topic before I go in to address her.

Thanks again for the posts!!!

Negotiate the alarm charge out of the contract or don't sign. Do not buy into the sign now and we will remove it later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 11:03 AM

21,011 posts, read 25,807,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard007 View Post
I have not signed the lease yet, ...........
Whatever you and management agree to about the alarm, make sure it is put into writing and included in the lease.

You might call your insurance agent and see if an alarm will affect your renter's insurance rates. Have that information available before you decide yes or no on the alarm.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:09 PM

33,046 posts, read 20,736,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Whatever you and management agree to about the alarm, make sure it is put into writing and included in the lease.

You might call your insurance agent and see if an alarm will affect your renter's insurance rates. Have that information available before you decide yes or no on the alarm.

I had renters insurance through GEICO for like $12 per month, a discount on renters insurance wouldn't persuade me to sign up for the alarm. I chose to not renew it because it has a $250 per incident deductible, I don't have $250 of stuff in my room, and I intend to never invite anyone to this zoo, so I don't expect to face any liability issues.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Try reading the original post.

You're right, I misread the OP and thought the $25 came from a different source (not from the lease).

Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM

16,512 posts, read 17,561,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I had renters insurance through GEICO for like $12 per month, a discount on renters insurance wouldn't persuade me to sign up for the alarm. I chose to not renew it because it has a $250 per incident deductible, I don't have $250 of stuff in my room, and I intend to never invite anyone to this zoo, so I don't expect to face any liability issues.

But if the LL requires it as a condition of renting then you have to get it. I require all tenants to have renters insurance

Old 04-18-2017, 12:53 PM

5,048 posts, read 6,406,359 times
At least you reviewed the lease before signing.

There's a lot of stuff an owner or mgt co can put in that a renter doesn't personally like. If you can't negotiate, you just don't sign. You just don't rent there.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
But if the LL requires it as a condition of renting then you have to get it. I require all tenants to have renters insurance

That would almost certainly be a dealbreaker for me. Why should I pay for coverage with a $250 deductible when I don't even have $250 of stuff in my room? Sounds to me as if you want your tenant to cover you. For that I would need an appropriate rent discount which I don't expect to get, so I wouldn't go for it unless it were the best deal available which it probably wouldn't be.

If I had something larger and more conventional - say an apartment with enough space for my storage unit contents, I would happily insure that. (I'm paying $9/mo insurance with the storage unit and I think $20/mo would be perfectly reasonable in an adequate dwelling.)

Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM

31,636 posts, read 55,362,882 times
It's a fire alarm with monitoring, methinks.
Read the thread discussion about tenants disarming smoke detectors, stealing batteries, etc.

But, kinda dumb to slap the tenant in the face with it, when it could just be embedded in the rent.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:10 PM

3,819 posts, read 4,878,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That would almost certainly be a dealbreaker for me. Why should I pay for coverage with a $250 deductible when I don't even have $250 of stuff in my room? Sounds to me as if you want your tenant to cover you. For that I would need an appropriate rent discount which I don't expect to get, so I wouldn't go for it unless it were the best deal available which it probably wouldn't be.

If I had something larger and more conventional - say an apartment with enough space for my storage unit contents, I would happily insure that. (I'm paying $9/mo insurance with the storage unit and I think $20/mo would be perfectly reasonable in an adequate dwelling.)
Normal, law-abiding landlords require renters insurance all the time. Since your landlord isn't law abiding, it doesn't surprise me that he/she does not require it.

Old 04-18-2017, 01:32 PM

3,063 posts, read 1,001,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Normal, law-abiding landlords require renters insurance all the time. Since your landlord isn't law abiding, it doesn't surprise me that he/she does not require it.

Our landlord charges us $12 a month on top of the rent for renter's insurance. In my previous apartments it was always optional but not in this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting