Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 03:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Your first post said:

Let's say you have some applicants who previously lived unremarkably in an overcrowded house until a neighbor filed an overcrowding complaint which led to their eviction.

Would / should landlords automatically reject them on the basis of the eviction?

So which is it? Did they (you??) move out promptly, or were they evicted? You cant have it both ways.

I once rented a room in a house that was foreclosed; I moved timely, as did everyone else. Here I was simply using a hypothetical of an unreasonable "overcrowding" allegation involving 3 individuals in an (actual) 8BR house. There is a part of me that would love to take that to a jury - but apparently it is irrelevant to landlords whether the applicant prevailed in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yes X a million. I'd sell the property rather than rent to people who could mess up my property.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Where oh where did you get the idea these people could mess up your property?

Old 04-21-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
You can't seem to decide whether they were evicted or just asked to leave and they left without a judge involved. It makes a difference.

If they were legally evicted, I wouldn't take them.

If they were asked to leave and left without causing problems, I probably wouldn't take them. Either they don't have enough income to pay for a place just for themselves, or else they are going to move in all their family and buddies, which is what cost them their last house.

I can do without the drama.

And if you are asking because you have just been evicted, OP, it is a mote point because you refuse to pay an application fee, so you couldn't even apply to rent from me.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Three individuals rented an 8BR house from a willing landlord. What's the problem? Where did you get the idea they are going to move in their family and buddies? I have never been evicted and I am asking because I think the situation described is totally ridiculous and unreasonable.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:56 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Yes X a million. I'd sell the property rather than rent to people who could mess up my property.
Funny you should mention that. I've finally had it up to "here" with problem tenants (and most tenants are not problems but a few ruin it for everybody) and I'm liquidating my properties and moving my money into financial instruments, not houses.

One bad tenant in 10 can poison a landlord to the point of just giving up and liquidating. I'm there now. I don't need this grief in my life.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I don't have an application fee. I have a credit check fee. Even better, my credit reporting service has the option of having the prospective tenant pay for their own credit check. I use that option, my hands never see the money.

It saves me two items on my income taxes, not having to declare the income and not having to declare the expense, because my hands never touched the money.

BTW I read through the applications and pick the best one. Only then do I ask them for a credit check. During the credit check period when I see their credit report I won't accept another tenant for a credit check until I have ruled out the current applicant. I won't send multiple applicants through credit checks at the same time, that's not fair. Or at least not fair in my book.

But if I see the word "eviction" anywhere on their report it's an immediate reject. I don't even want to hear the story.

Read this story below and give us your opinion. Tenants evicted for having too much income. You got a problem with that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The committee learned that not all of the full $258.4 million [Portland affordable housing bond] is up for grabs. The city recently purchased the 248-unit market rate Ellington Apartments in Northeast Portland with the goal of converting all of it into affordable housing. Bond funds are expected to repay around $37 million of the $47 million loan used to purchase the property in February.

For that to happen, every household in the complex earning more than 60 percent of the area's median family income eventually may have to be evicted, something Dame called "a PR problem" for the city.

Oregon Local News - Affordable housing bond committee faces challenges

Old 04-21-2017, 04:13 PM

586 posts, read 554,057 times
Quote:
I once rented a room in a house that was foreclosed; I moved timely, as did everyone else. Here I was simply using a hypothetical of an unreasonable "overcrowding" allegation involving 3 individuals in an (actual) 8BR house. There is a part of me that would love to take that to a jury - but apparently it is irrelevant to landlords whether the applicant prevailed in court.
It is only "unreasonable" when a judge finds it to be "unreasonable." Until then, it is your opinion.

There are well-established guidelines and protocols for housing that are in place to protect landlords, tenants, neighbors and communities at large. Violations pertaining to overcrowding are neither unnecessary nor "unreasonable." You can play David/Goliath with City Hall all you like, but if you're armed with a hypothetical sling, you're going to lose.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:41 PM

550 posts, read 1,486,512 times
Quote:
Then they should be perfectly acceptable to any reasonable landlord as compliant homeless applicants, right? Why did you dodge that question?
I've had no problems renting when homeless. I don't know why a landlord would even care.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:47 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Let's say you have some applicants who previously lived unremarkably in an overcrowded house until a neighbor filed an overcrowding complaint which led to their eviction.

Would / should landlords automatically reject them on the basis of the eviction?

I decline any evictions if one comes up when I do a background check. I'm simply not going to get into discovery or go play Magnum P.I. to investigate to maybe let someone rent. Just not going to go through that. If you have a eviction it means something went wrong between you or the LL. Maybe him may be you. I don't wanna find out. Maybe I am wrong to do that but I'm going to err on the side of caution and decline it. Is it unfair? Yeah maybe.

Quote:
The municipality forced the issue; the landlord did not want to lose the tenants.
Then the LL should of written a letter and included his contact info telling the new LL how great tenants they are about to get

Quote:
Noncompliance with what? What's noncompliant about three people living in an 8BR house? In what way did they pose any health and safety issue? The city isn't forced to do anything, the city acted out of animus.
I don't buy that three people in a eight bedroom house were evicted on overcrowding. There has to be multiple people there and they were the only ones that had the lease

Old 04-21-2017, 06:00 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrician4you View Post
i decline any evictions if one comes up when i do a background check. I'm simply not going to get into discovery or go play magnum p.i. To investigate to maybe let someone rent. Just not going to go through that. If you have a eviction it means something went wrong between you or the ll. Maybe him may be you. I don't wanna find out. Maybe i am wrong to do that but i'm going to err on the side of caution and decline it. Is it unfair? Yeah maybe.

Then the ll should of written a letter and included his contact info telling the new ll how great tenants they are about to get

i don't buy that three people in a eight bedroom house were evicted on overcrowding. There has to be multiple people there and they were the only ones that had the lease
+1.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:02 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
Read this story below and give us your opinion. Tenants evicted for having too much income. You got a problem with that?
Tenants are very unlikely to be evicted. If they don't qualify, they will be given a 90 day no-cause notice to vacate. It is only the tenants who dig in and refuse to go who will be evicted.

Of course, if that new low income housing project is located in Portland, each one of those tenants will get their thousands in relocation money. That curtails my sympathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting