U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 09:40 PM

600 posts, read 316,032 times

Advertisements

Seriously. They can't vacuum the vents once in a while? Replace a dead Smoke Detector battery? Why the hell did they decided to break off a door knob? Why is a freaking light bulb missing in the bathroom?

All my units failed inspections due to some of the most ridiclous reasons.

I mean, they were given several months advance notice of when the inspection was coming. You think they would do something like clean up and replace the batteries on a chirping alarm.

Do they NOT want to pass inspection? You know how many freaking people are waiting in line willing to take their spot?

Am I suppose to hold their hands throughout this process?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 PM

2,933 posts, read 2,397,164 times
Yes you are if you want that government subsidized rent money.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:47 PM

8,768 posts, read 10,358,845 times
Agree with AZ Manager! If you want to live off government welfare, you have to deal with the consequences. Can't for the life of me wonder why you thought it would be any other way!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:50 PM

600 posts, read 316,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Agree with AZ Manager! If you want to live off government welfare, you have to deal with the consequences. Can't for the life of me wonder why you thought it would be any other way!
How the hell am I on welfare?

Old 04-21-2017, 06:00 AM

8,322 posts, read 17,664,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Seriously. They can't vacuum the vents once in a while? Replace a dead Smoke Detector battery? Why the hell did they decided to break off a door knob? Why is a freaking light bulb missing in the bathroom?

I mean, they were given several months advance notice of when the inspection was coming. You think they would do something like clean up and replace the batteries on a chirping alarm.

Do they NOT want to pass inspection? You know how many freaking people are waiting in line willing to take their spot?

Stop taking section 8 and you won't have these issues. If you do that you can keep the deposit, evict or sue in small claims. Trying suing a sec 8er...lololol yeah, not gonna happen.

As long as you're wanting that 'guaranteed' money every month this is what you have to put up with. I suggest you do your own inspections and hold your tenants accountable.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 AM

26,871 posts, read 57,924,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
I mean, they were given several months advance notice of when the inspection was coming.
You think they would do something like clean up and replace the batteries on a chirping alarm.
And did YOU go around ahead of the HUD people to check for compliance?
You know, manage your properties?

Quote:
This and many others too. It's the game you're in.

Get educated. Do some reading:
https://www.amazon.com/Section-Bible.../dp/0980175909

Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 AM

3,659 posts, read 1,198,644 times
Replacing the batteries in smoke detectors should be the landlord's responsibility, same as any maintenance on any other appliance that comes with the apartment. That's how it works where I live. My landlord wants me to let him know when there is an issue with one of them, not try and fix it myself.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:33 AM

3,756 posts, read 2,910,037 times
Why are those issues your tenants issues? Whether they are Section 8 or not, they should still be the landlords responsibility.

If you want Section 8 money, get off your ass and do some maintenance.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:51 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,212,973 times
Just because a person is a Section 8 renter doesn't mean that the money comes without strings. The landlord is still responsible for the same basic maintenance that would be expected in any other apartment. That typically includes upkeep of the fire alarms/smoke detectors. If a doorknob falls off, I would imagine that would be included as well. Why do the vents need vacuuming? Are the system filters not being replaced regularly enough? Usually when I've been renting they've either come in to replace the filters or had them available for pickup on regular intervals. Filthy vents are a sign of some sort of other issue that probably doesn't have to do with the tenant.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM

11,069 posts, read 9,003,526 times
You should do the inspections and complete the work before the inspections if you don't want to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or