U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 09:59 AM

8,998 posts, read 7,086,859 times

Advertisements

OP, you need to get competent legal advice for YOUR area.
It is up to you to know the landlord/tenant laws in YOUR state, YOUR county, and YOUR municipality.
If you expect your landlord to follow the law, YOU must be sure you are following the law in every way BEFORE you begin making demands of the landlord.
YOU must know your rights under the law.
You have a computer, obviously, and you can do the searches for the applicable laws just as well as any stranger on a forum. You can contact a local attorney for advice. In fact, that is exactly what you should do.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 10:39 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
13,562 posts, read 14,059,052 times
There is also a sticky post at the top of this very forum that (I presume) covers all the states and links to the proper sites.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:52 AM

1,568 posts, read 1,192,952 times
We have one laundry room at my apt complex. I don't use it because it sets up on a hill with no handrails on the brick steps. I need something to hold on to while going up with a basket. So.................I just drive to the Laundromat.
The laundry room is always dirty and not air conditioned and it's over 100° here in the summer. No thanks. There
is a fire extinguisher under the sink and I asked mgmt. about it and maint came and said it was okay. How can it
be when I've lived here over 9 years. Sorry to say but in my experience landlords just want the rent money and do
not care if you are happy or not. I can ask them something and no one gets back to me! I thought this was a business
transaction: I pay you on time every month and you provide maintenance! NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles del Río Porciúncula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
We have one laundry room at my apt complex. I don't use it because it sets up on a hill with no handrails on the brick steps. I need something to hold on to while going up with a basket.
Did they move the laundry room since you moved in? If not, then why did you move there in the first place? And these many years later, why whine now?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:07 PM

539 posts, read 293,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What I'm seeing is that you moved into a place with dust in the elevator, stink in the building, and mold on the machines with a notice that only 3 machines could be used at the same time. I doubt that the parking lot was perfect when you signed the lease and has fallen into a disreputable state in the last couple of months.

You saw what it was before you moved in. But once you are in, you expect things to be changed to suit yourself. I think it is very likely that this is a lower rent place. If you want everything sparkling clean and just like brand new, I suggest that you move out and plan on paying substantially more rent for your next apartment.
Couldn't rep, have to spread more love, but you are spot on!

Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 PM

OWS is one of the best, most knowledgeable contributors on the forum in his area of expertise.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
For example, in my state, the only legal withholding by tenants is for smoke detectors. They can replace defective or missing ones themselves and withhold that from rent. That's it. Any other withholding has the potential to get you evicted. I'm guessing though, since you are in a building with elevators, that you are in a larger city, and MOST larger cities have a escrow system with the courts.
Not required in my state (AFAIK) but tenants are required to notify me in that event (lease contract terms) and I'd reply, "Good God, go get yourself right down to your local DIY store, buy and replace it, send me the bill and let's deduct that puppy right off your rent!!!"

Old 06-04-2017, 01:33 PM

14 posts, read 9,788 times
Is AC is included in habitability issues? I mean it doesn't cool the apartment. And from I learned from this website the air conditioner that is installed in my apartment is smaller that it should be in order to coold down the apartment.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:10 PM

10,272 posts, read 6,506,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theateist View Post
The management company ignores all the complaints that I wrote to them. Can I NOT pay the rent on the basis of the complaints written below and this order?

1. Stink at the entrance to the elevator.
  2. The garage door malfanction every few months and stays opened for days. We already had at least two cases when someone broke a car's window and stole stuff from it.
  3. The road inside the parking has a lot deep potholes and it just impossible to drive. It ruins the car. Especially when it rains and you don't see them.
  4. We have 4 laundry machines but they put a sign that only 3 can be used simultenously. Probably it was cheaper to put a sign than to fix it. But, obviously tenants still use 4 laundry machines simultenously it floods the whole floor.
  5. All 4 laundry machines have mold on it!
  6. 2 of the laundry machines don't wash well.
  7. 3 laundry machines are not enough for the building.
  8. People have fallen due to this floods.
  9. The fire extinguishers are expired since 2015.
  10. The elevator annual inspection is expired since 2014.
  11. The elevator sticks occasionally at some floors.

Please don't write comments like "move out", but write a relevant comment.
No pay your rent or move.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:09 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,192,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Did they move the laundry room since you moved in? If not, then why did you move there in the first place? And these many years later, why whine now?
I had my own washer when I moved in! Now it's not working and I cannot afford to replace it! So I was 10 years younger then and I could probably get up those stairs! I'm not whining I'm just responding to the post as to what I experience here at my apt complex. Why lash out at folks when you don't know the full story????

I am not going to post anything ever again on here. Always someone being nasty and judgmental. Bye y'all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or