Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 09:56 AM

269 posts, read 247,004 times

Advertisements

I've looked at VBRO, sublet dot com, and airb, but it seems that owners price way above market (for the most part).

Is there a better way to find 1 to 3 month rentals?? Perhaps contacting a local realtor in the areas I'm interested??

I am retired and want to travel spending a month or two in different locations. My needs are low and don't think that for most middle America locations that I should ever have to pay more than about $1,000 per month for a decent, safe one-bedroom apartment on a month to month basis for one to three months.

I am initally looking at small(er) town locations in Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana

Can someone tell me the best approach to find these? I generally don't Craigslist so I really would like to avoid that.

Much thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Unfortunately, CL is your best resource. And unless those "small towns" have significant ourist traffic, you're not likely to find a short term furnished rental. This is one of the reasons people purchase RV's.

Additionally, I'm suspicious that your price expectations for a short term, fully furnished rental are out of whack.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Unfortunately, CL is your best resource. However, I'm suspicious that your price expectations for a short term, fully furnished rental are out of whack.

Thanks for your opinion!

Old 05-01-2017, 01:27 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Landlords do not want short term tenants. It costs a lot of money to have a turnover and possible vacancy. The short term rentals cost more because it costs the landlord a lot more to have short term tenants and a whole lot more to provide a furnished rental..

You want something special just for you, and it is going to cost you more. That's all there is to it.

Often the little courtyard motels on the old highway will rent by the week or month and they are much less expensive than a vacation rental.

Or you could buy an RV and travel that way. although the RV park I just stayed in cost $1200 a month in the months with nice weather. A lot of RV parks are $50 a night.

Old 05-01-2017, 03:17 PM

66 posts, read 61,819 times
I would say older mobile home park with RV parking and use an RV or just hunt around for usually less than desirable housing and buy used furniture that you can sell once you move out in 3 months. That is what I would do if it was my goal to move often. If you are a church person the Mormon Church has a lot of resources in the area you are talking about. I don't necessarily endorse the religion, but it may be easier to attend Church on Sundays if you are able to get what you want.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:31 AM

I found some decent prices in Craigslist under "sublet", but CL lack of references for landlord/management prevent me from using it.

Some of the towns I am looking at have great places for $800 per month on yearly leases (easily found on popular real estate websites).

Based on info some of you shared, I think I may be able to negotiate a 6 month or less lease for $1000-$1100 month depending upon how strong the market is locally in these areas.

Also, based on info some of you shared, it may be best for me to arrive with a solid short term plan (such as local hotel/motel/airbnb), then scope the area (realtors, churches, local newspapers) etc on the ground.

Much thanks for the info

Old 05-02-2017, 06:08 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richzimme View Post
I've looked at VBRO, sublet dot com, and airb,
but it seems that owners price way above market (for the most part).
For the most part... those owners are looking for vacation home rates.

Quote:
Is there a better way to find 1 to 3 month rentals??
Perhaps contacting a local realtor in the areas I'm interested??
I am initally looking at small(er) town locations in Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, and Montana
If the areas you're interested in are "in town" and not up on the mountain.

As to specific prices... determine what comparable properties will rent for with a full year lease.
Expect to pay more for a short term... probably 50% more and to have a 3 month minimum.
When you add all that up the extended stay places begin to make more sense.

Old 05-02-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
For the most part... those owners are looking for vacation home rates.

If the areas you're interested in are "in town" and not up on the mountain.

As to specific prices... determine what comparable properties will rent for with a full year lease.
Expect to pay more for a short term... probably 50% more and to have a 3 month minimum.
When you add all that up the extended stay places begin to make more sense.
Thanks, I'll also review prices on the extended stay places....appreciate your reference to my comparing that as an alternative.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:06 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
You might also check Airbnb for short term rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting