Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM

56 posts, read 37,653 times

Advertisements

i am thinking about becoming a landlord. so i am curious as to what are some of the craziest things that a tenant has blamed you for
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 10:47 AM

51 posts, read 101,673 times
Life... Death.... and everything in between!

Old 05-03-2017, 11:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
This should be a fun thread.

For me, I can't think of any really crazy ones right off the bat. Most of them follow the same themes:

Either I'm heartless because I won't take rent 30 days late with no penalty every single month, or because I won't let a tenant have 3 pit bull puppies, or something equally ludicrous.

Or else I'm illegally discriminating because I decline an applicant who has been evicted twice, owes money to 3 landlords, has a felony, a 400 credit score and no job. Oh, but I discriminated because they have 3 kids, or because they are black, or because they are gay, or whatever protected class they fit into, as if that makes them invulnerable to ever being declined.

The only other thing I can think of right now is being blamed for health issues due to mold. In every single circumstance, after investigating, no toxic mold was found, and in most cases, no mold of any kind (note: "no mold" is defined in this context as being less than 10x the quantity of mold found outside. There is mold everywhere). We have never had an instance where a tenant complained about health problems due to mold and then we found there actually was a problem.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:51 AM

6,553 posts, read 8,380,268 times
Stick around this forum, and you'll see some things!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/real-...ible-scam.html

And here's a doozy:

Fussy, anxious tenant

Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,107,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_slayer View Post
i am thinking about becoming a landlord. so i am curious as to what are some of the craziest things that a tenant has blamed you for
I'm a landlord and the craziest thing I've seen is your thinking about becoming a landlord. Take my advice: don't.

And if you must, get just one unit, then do it for a couple years. If you're still happy, expand.

My problem: I got 4 SFRs my first year. Got good tenants. Second year one tenant went south (figuratively) in middle of lease. Now a few years later I'm extricating myself from the business entirely.

You can't just wake up one day and pull the plug. Once you are a landlord it will take a few years to get out. I've already dumped my first SFR.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:51 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,613,201 times
A friend rented a couple of rooms and they shared a kitchen. A guy presented himself well, paid regularly, kept his place clean. He liked to eat cooked root vegetables now and then. But he didn't cut them up. Something about knives and nature. He just filled his little pot with water and put the vegetable in top down.

When my friend saw carrots with tips in the tenant's small pot of boiling water and the rest sticking straight up , not a big deal. The tips get cooked, he figured, and you can always eat the raw parts of the carrots easily.

But when my friend passed that tiny pot with some big root in the pot and the rest sticking up nearly two feet, he thought he'd better talk to the tenant. The root was never going to cook all the way up and was too hard to nibble uncooked.

The tenant thanked my friend for the information, stayed several more days and one day was gone. Every single possession including id was left behind at the house.

Last edited by cully; 05-06-2017 at 10:05 AM..

Old 05-06-2017, 09:55 AM

We had a really nice guy tenant ourselves who had to pay his rent through a check from his friend. He was completely reliable, careful, best tenant. His parents had stolen his SSN and used it illicitly for years...since he was little. So he cut off from them, worked for cash, gave it to his reliable friend who kept it in an account in the bank and wrote the checks for his bills.

Eventually, the friend moved for work. The guy made rent payments in cash then for a while and then moved after a few years. Really nice, responsible guy who stayed in that town. Hope he got that all straightened out.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:00 AM

We had husband and wife tenants at one point. They moved in and a few days later power went out in their house. It happens. The wife called the police. The police asked their address. The wife didn't have it. She started to describe what the house looked like. Didn't work.

Meanwhile, the husband went to his car, opened the trunk and stood by it. Just stood with his arms by his side. That was told to us by a neighbor who saw him. At the time we thought that was really odd. Maybe he had a weapon in the trunk but didn't want to touch it yet but wanted it available?

Pretty soon the power went back on.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:53 AM

56 posts, read 37,653 times
after watching some youtube videos i ran like hell after seeing how some people leave a place

Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,622,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_slayer View Post
after watching some youtube videos i ran like hell after seeing how some people leave a place
That's a great choice. I've met a lot of landlords, none of them are happy to be landlords. For some it would have been more profitable to leave the home empty and wait for appreciation. It seems landlords feel the tenant is lucky to have a roof over their head and tenants feel the home rental should be no different than any other transaction where "the customer is always right". Renting a home is the only business transaction I routinely deal with that has such opinions.

I'm a serial renter because we've moved every year or two for my wife's career advancement. My advice to any landlord would be to take care of their property and not see maintenance as an unneeded expense. My current rental is having air conditioning problems and the management company is reluctant to fix them. The problems could have been avoided by simply having an annual service and cleaning. We noted on the move in report that the compressor is well off level from the soil under it settling. Now it's showing the issues that come from a homeowner who isn't concerned with preventative maintenance.

I would urge homeowners that want to rent the place out to hire a property manager that has an outstanding reputation. The landlord tenant relationship is riddled with emotion on both sides, a third party to act as a mediator is necessary. One misstep from a landlord that violates the state's landlord tenant act could become very costly.

My other advice from renting 4 houses would be to have inspections of the property every 6 months. Only one landlord of mine went through this process.

Lease clauses that force the tenant to take financial responsibility for a portion of a repair leads to tenants ignoring issues that can cause a lot of stress later. I've been unfortunate enough to find some of these ignored repairs after taking possession of a home.

Installing flat panel TV mounts will avoid the potential of a tenant installing theirs and taking it with them. The $30 or so that they cost these days is cheaper than drywall repair and lost time on the market.

Do not re-install carpet in a rental. Carpet is disgusting and leads to the most moveout debates between tenants and landlords. Tile is a worthwhile investment to keep the property in good shape and it's difficult to damage.

And most importantly, know your landlord tenant laws! including the local codes! Read them from your bias then re-read them as if you were the renter. Know exactly what is your responsibility and what the results are if you break the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting