Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:58 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm surprised that people think "getting" to buy curtains as a tenant is a positive. I wouldn't want to buy curtains to fit the number and size of windows in a rental, since the odds that I'd ever get to re-use them is minimal.
It is for me, as I don't like unfinished looking windows (my opinion & preference). As a renter, I always install drapes and/or curtains, but all apts I've ever lived in have long, vertical blinds only & I have to install rods myself, then patch up & spot paint upon moving out. I would have loved to have had at least 1 landlord who pre-installed rods. Truth be told, I just moved into a new flat & have found tension rods, which I've never heard of... no holes, but I can't hang heavier drapes.

That's why as a landlord I installed blinds & rods (I didn't want to leave bare windows)... mainly as that 1st week or so in the house, blinds can be closed for privacy & tenants don't have to rush out for curtains or do something awful like tape newspaper to the windows. In 20-yrs, I never had a tenant who didn't hang curtains or drapes, but styles change, lifestyles differ & it depends upon how transient one is, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 06:52 AM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea you could buy blinds for five bucks so thanks for pointing that out. For the ten to fifteen bucks per window, I think I'm going to go with curtain rods with finials.

I'm not sure why the mini blinds get damaged besides the fact that renters generally don't take care of things as well as owners.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:04 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
It depends on the state you live in. In some states, landlords are required to provide window coverings for tenants.

For example in RI:
-------------------------------
*Under R.I.G.L. 45-24.3-6 the owner must initially provide and install screens, storm windows and shades for a new tenant. From then on the tenant is responsible for their maintenance and replacement.

Check your state code before making a decision. If you don't have to provide anything in your state, I'd put up rods and let the tenant buy curtains. I wouldn't do blinds because they break a lot- trust me.

Last edited by Hollytree; 05-06-2017 at 07:13 AM..

Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm surprised that people think "getting" to buy curtains as a tenant is a positive. I wouldn't want to buy curtains to fit the number and size of windows in a rental, since the odds that I'd ever get to re-use them is minimal.

^^^ This ^^^ While I have purchased curtains for my oversize bedroom windows when I found them at a reasonable price at Tuesday morning, I have never lived in a rental that didn't have some kind of blinds on the window. Like was mentioned if you don't supply some type of blind or shade you do run the risk of a tenant tacking up a bed sheet on the window.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:54 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I had no idea you could buy blinds for five bucks so thanks for pointing that out. For the ten to fifteen bucks per window, I think I'm going to go with curtain rods with finials.

I'm not sure why the mini blinds get damaged besides the fact that renters generally don't take care of things as well as owners.

If the tenant has a cat or dog that is what is happening to the blinds. The cats go behind them to look out and the dogs, if large, just push them aside to see what's going on outside and they get messed up.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:49 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post

Here are the blinds I always purchased from HDepot:
White 1 in. Light Filtering Vinyl Blind - 35 in. W x 64 in. L-20150510 - The Home Depot

I see they're $5.77 now, but they're still affordable & I never had problems with them. Occasionally, one of the blinds would go pear shaped when pulled up, but it was rare & I think was an issue with 1 out of 20.

Also, I always installed a thig-a-ma-*** on the side of the window frame which allowed the blind cord to be wrapped around it. I don't know what it's called, so can't post a pic, but they're about $1.29 in the hardware section of HDepot. Perhaps that's why my blinds were never ruined by tenants, cuz they didn't have to wrench them apart to look outside, but could leave the blinds at half mast if using curtains & could easily see outside, because I also installed curtain rods & not just drapery rods.

Lastly, I'd listen to Holly & look up your state's landlord-tenant laws. I had no idea blinds were mandatory in certain states. My properties were in MA & NH. But, I always installed blinds anyway & never had an issue with them being mangled. Maybe that little tin gadget used for wrapping the cord around it made all the difference.

In any event, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting