Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 11:42 AM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChow View Post
we just had a rent increase from $15 to $20 a month (was $15 from 1995 to Jan of this year) The place we use is owned privately so not sure what corperate owned places would be. We travel alot so paying for piece of mind knowimg our mail /packages are safe is worth the cost.
ETA. We have the smallest size box they offer as we don't get alot of mail.
Perfect, that is affordable. About 8-10 yrs ago I used a mail forwarding service in Canada. They gave me a physical address in downtown Toronto and would forward all my mail anywhere. That service was bit expensive but this is definitely doable assuming the corporate rates might be a bit higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 11:53 AM

58 posts, read 52,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
Perfect, that is affordable. About 8-10 yrs ago I used a mail forwarding service in Canada. They gave me a physical address in downtown Toronto and would forward all my mail anywhere. That service was bit expensive but this is definitely doable assuming the corporate rates might be a bit higher.
I forgot, forwarding mail is a service they offer as well.(For a fee)
I initially got the box not know of I would be staying in the erea and figured I'd be moving around a bit before settling down. I came to appriciate the outstanding service, 24 hours access and security that comes with having my mail secured while I travel. If you do go with a MB service, I hope you find one with staff as good as the one I have, they are fantastic.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,298,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyChow View Post
I forgot, forwarding mail is a service they offer as well.(For a fee)
I initially got the box not know of I would be staying in the erea and figured I'd be moving around a bit before settling down. I came to appriciate the outstanding service, 24 hours access and security that comes with having my mail secured while I travel. If you do go with a MB service, I hope you find one with staff as good as the one I have, they are fantastic.
I believe the neighborhood UPS stores offer the same service. I see the owners changing a lot so i am a bit skeptical.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:53 PM

58 posts, read 52,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
I believe the neighborhood UPS stores offer the same service. I see the owners changing a lot so i am a bit skeptical.
We have a UPS store in my town as well, I was just looking at the online reviews, not pretty, but I realize unhappy people tend to 'spread the love' alot more than the happy customers. The place we're at has had 3 owners since we first got my box. Current owners have been in place for 15 years, I don't think changing owners is as important has keeping the business in the same location. The local UPS store has moved once that I know of. Just something to look into of that's a concern.

Old 05-08-2017, 04:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Address in a lease is dictated by state law.

Some states require a landlord to provide a street address for process servicing.

Others only require an address where a certified letter can be mailed by USPS.

There are a few states that require the landlord to provide their actual personal address if the property is owned by a person or the business address if the property is under a business name.

And yo have states don't require anything so long as you personally go to the property to pick up the rent when due.

So, your state laws will what must be on the lease You are free to provide more if you like.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
I've never seen a landlord use/post their residential address. I've seen landlords use "private mailbox" services and even a separate mailbox at the rental property.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:33 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
its not that hard to find where you live as a LL.

All my past LL have given an address. No big deal.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I list my residential address. I don't understand what the problem is with doing that.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I list my residential address. I don't understand what the problem is with doing that.
Slumlords don't want their tenants to see how they live!

Old 05-09-2017, 12:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Slumlords don't want their tenants to see how they live!

Gotcha. Well contrary to popular belief I live in a typical house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting