Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxxm98 View Post
Yes I would care as much if I signed on the doted line for the next 30 years on the property deposited 20-30 k was paying for taxes, any assessments and mortgage , including any repairs ( you know roof, etc...) that includes the lawn. You can move whenever you please. They can't just say, I'm done please give me the money I invested, why is this so hard to comprehend. It's not their fault you can't put together money and save to buy your own, but they could, sheesh. It's hard to believe your over 30 honestly. But some people like to blame and demand everything from everyone except themselves
who's 'they'? Don't you think the 10's of thousands of dollars that we've paid here over 8 years, is an 'investment?' And they still have to get up in arms about a few boards...there are plenty of people that work full-time, are better off than me, have worked for years, and still don't own their own house. It's not 'me'. Even the neighbors, that they're related to...a middle-aged couple that both work...I'm sure they could probably afford to, I don't know why they would want to live in a crappy duplex with little space or privacy to do anything. Maybe they let them live there for free? And the guy on the other side also, that lives with his mom and girlfriend...probably because I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than having to find someplace else. If you want to play that game, it's also not MY fault that I'm not a 60 year old, that was around when houses were 1/4th of what they cost today. You seem a little out of touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 10:14 PM

314 posts, read 237,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
who's 'they'? Don't you think the 10's of thousands of dollars that we've paid here over 8 years, is an 'investment?' And they still have to get up in arms about a few boards...there are plenty of people that work full-time, are better off than me, have worked for years, and still don't own their own house. It's not 'me'. Even the neighbors, that they're related to...a middle-aged couple that both work...I'm sure they could probably afford to, I don't know why they would want to live in a crappy duplex with little space or privacy to do anything. Maybe they let them live there for free? And the guy on the other side also, that lives with his mom and girlfriend...probably because I'm sure it's a lot cheaper than having to find someplace else. If you want to play that game, it's also not MY fault that I'm not a 60 year old, that was around when houses were 1/4th of what they cost today. You seem a little out of touch.
I'm out of touch? Honey I'm not 60, I'm actually 28. I'm very in touch it seems your not

Old 05-12-2017, 10:22 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,547 times
^Sure. I didn't say you were, I said that MOST people that own their own home (at least in expensive areas like here) do so because they're older and bought them decades ago, when houses were a fraction of the cost.

Old 05-12-2017, 10:27 PM

314 posts, read 237,368 times
Quote:
^Sure. I didn't say you were, I said that MOST people that own their own home (at least in expensive areas like here) do so because they're older and bought them decades ago, when houses were a fraction of the cost.
Yes you did , I do live in a very expensive area, a studio apartment across the street is 1800 per month, and no I'm not trust fund, I just know what I want and don't make excuses, just figure out how to make things happen. I'm bowing out as I'm crunching numbers of all the damage people did to my home because they didn't listen or follow simple instruction, it sucks to spend almost 8k on things that could have been prevented, but oh what's the big deal I'll do it my way, good night

Old 05-12-2017, 10:59 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
And about her neighbors actually having the GALL to hang out OUTSIDE their house in their yard and balcony. Must be an incredibly stressful life.
Oh shoot, and now that the gardeners trimmed the bushes, they can see in her windows even better.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:53 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
I don't have a lease. I think there was at first, but after the first year, it became month to month. I've been there for 8 years. I don't remember there being anything about the yard in the lease, but like I said it's now month-to month anyway. That was also what I was wondering, what ARE the general "rights" for a tenant regarding the yard...since there are "rights" concerning the house/rental in general, then you would think there would also be some for the yard, since, as I pointed out earlier, the tenants are the ones paying to live there, and it's their yard just as much as it is their house, while they're there...so it seems pretty backwards that a tenant has no "rights" concerning their lawn, and cannot do or put anything in it, yet has to put up with the noise and lack of privacy of the lawn care, that is apparently just to make it look nice for the neighbors...that's kind of the infuriating part.
Go dig out your lease...even though you're now month to month, that lease still stands.

It's not your yard..you're paying to 'use' the yard with the stipulations laid out in your lease by your landlord.

Be careful, you're on a month to month and he can just issue a notice to vacate.

If it upsets you that much, go buy your own home, but know that you won't be able to have 'free reign' in your own yard either.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Did you see the part where the landlord actually referred to it as my house (in his response, trying to make it seem like all the "maintenance" was for my benefit - when he said "we provide outside maintenance to your house...blah blah blah" trying to make it sound like it was all for my benefit, and to maintain the "condition" of the house (ok, lawn 'maintenance' has nothing to do with the condition or quality of the house itself. ) but then saying (which is the real reason), so it looks good AND THE NEIGHBORS FEEL it looks good (which ones, the ones they're related to?), and limits "neighborhood concerns" Well, if they are going to refer to it as my house, then isn't it also my yard? (I'm not saying it is, but if they are going to act like that, then you would think they would care if the tenants that pay to live there, actually get any use or enjoyment out of the yard.) I just think it's ridiculous to spend all that time and noise 'maintaining' a yard, that no one can actually use or do anything in.

Oh, and you mentioned 'trimming bushes' - the idiot illegal immigrants that he employs, butchered all the shrubs in front of the windows, which diminished our privacy (because I guess he realized we don't like them coming over, and wanted to **** us off even more.) Why doesn't he seem to care about that, if he's so concerned about the 'condition' of the house? He's so concerned about a few foot section of fencing, but he didn't notice all the bushes were butchered and look like crap?

The maintenance is for your benefit and his. No doubt about it. Not sure why you'd think it would be otherwise.

No, it's not YOUR yard...it's their yard that you are paying to have access to...and that access comes with stipulations. How are you not able to use the yard? Do the lawn guys come everyday and spend all day working?

And do you know for a fact that they are illegal? No, you do not..I get that you're bitter and angry, but now you're just being ridiculous.

If you can't handle being a tenant, then try your hand a being a homeowner.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:04 AM

Quote:
They're not the ones that live here. I'm the one paying all the money to live here, and actually living in the place...so it's kind of anal to care so much what they place looks like, when they don't even live here.

wow, when I'm 40? what a life to look forward to.
It's not your home, it's theirs..so they have all the right to be anal about it if they want.

If you can't handle having a good landlord, find yourself a slumlord and call it a day.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
It was mentioned, but they said they have to just show up whenever they can. Um, ok...most people have a schedule, so how is it that lawn care is so difficult to schedule? I don't really care, as long as they don't come early, especially on the weekend. Which they usually don't, but as I said, they just show up whenever. So it's kind of hard to 'predict', because sometimes they don't come for a month or so, and then suddenly they come every week. As I said, it's not the most 'quality' service, since they butchered all the shrubs (which the landlord didn't seem to care about, but is so concerned about a few boards).

Well, again, you're paying to 'use' the property, and your landlord is paying for lawn care, so you have no say in that. 9 am on a Saturday is NOT early...someone has to be at 9am and it just happens to be you.

Butchered shrubs do not invite rodents, roaches and ants...boards left for days do. Shrubs grow back, boards do not..and they've already been there 3 days. No excuse for that...just plain laziness.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:13 AM

Quote:

You're totally missing the point. This is not your house so you do not get to leave a pile of boards in the yard for x amount of days because you want to. This not your house so you do not get to dictate when the lawn guy comes, This is not your house so you do not get to decide who you rent to or who let live for free. '

You want to do these things? Buy your own home. Not sure where being 60 has anything to do with buying a home. If you can't afford a home, that's your fault, not your landlord's.

You're a month to month...if you were my tenant and acted like this, you'd be moving in 60 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting