U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2017, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 574 times

Advertisements

So we were told we are free to walk away from our lease. No early termination fee required (two months per lease and 30 day notice )

They do have our 30 day notice and rent payment.

For now everything seems to be smooth sailing but it has all been verbal. Common sense states I need something in writing just to be safe that collection agency won't come knocking. This property management company is pretty big so I figure they may have some sort of form being such a big company but if not what kind of wording should I prepare and hope they sign? Also what should I do if they don't want to sign anything?

My gut feeling is nothing further will develop as to collections/court case since they are sure to have the property rented soon (was told they have a waiting list) but you never know right? People often say one thing and do something else so having something in writing gives me peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:14 PM

11,079 posts, read 9,014,190 times
Do you have an email address for the person or someone in that group that gave you the verbal? You could say, "just confirming per our phone call that .....". Worst case scenario they don't reply and you at least have something showing you reached out to confirm. Best case scenario they reply and agree.

Of course the absolute best would just be to call and ask for an official letter stating what they stated verbally.

Old 05-16-2017, 03:37 PM

26,878 posts, read 57,960,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaluke View Post
So we were told we are free to walk away from our lease.
No early termination fee required (two months per lease and 30 day notice )
They do have our 30 day notice and rent payment.
For now everything seems to be smooth sailing but it has all been verbal.

Common sense states I need something in writing...
Dig out your paper copy of your lease.
Xerox the page with the termination clause.
Line through and rewrite the new terms as agreed.

IN PERSON... show them what you have and ask for their signature.
Edit as needed but insist on the signature and date

Old 05-16-2017, 05:59 PM

2 posts, read 574 times
Thanks for the ideas guys. I will do as MrRational suggested and hope they sign it. If not I'll try the email route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or