U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 06:39 AM

10 posts, read 5,036 times

Advertisements

i moved in beginning of april, and after i payed for june's rent on the beginning of this month, he states he's gonna raise the rent starting from next month from $650 to $750 due to my increased electricity use.

im not on a lease, and i pay month to month. im not really asking if its legal or not, because im sure he could charge whatever he wants without needing a reason as long as he gives me 30 days notice.

so i didn't object or complain when he said this to me; plus, no one's forcing me to live here, and i can move out if i feel like the price increase is too much for what im getting.. but..

i feel like he's trying to squeeze as much money out of me as possible or something. everyone knows its a hassle looking for a new place to live, along with the actually moving out/in process, etc...

i follow his rules, im really quiet in my room because i use headphones instead of speakers; i don't own a TV, i work swing shift hours, etc...

but does this seem like a jerkish behavior on the owners part?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 AM

8,316 posts, read 17,635,046 times
Not sure where you are, but for $750 can't you find a small studio or one bedroom unit?

And you are correct in everything you said and yes, it's a jerkish move on his part. He underestimated how much electric you were going to use and I doubt that you alone use $100 worth.

Not much you can other than stay or go. Sorry

Old 06-05-2017, 07:29 AM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Not sure where you are, but for $750 can't you find a small studio or one bedroom unit?

And you are correct in everything you said and yes, it's a jerkish move on his part. He underestimated how much electric you were going to use and I doubt that you alone use $100 worth.

Not much you can other than stay or go. Sorry
I agree with Kim. But have you actually tried TALKING with the LL? Maybe a compromise can be reached. Look at it this way: if I move, it's gonna take the LL at least a month to find a new tenant. That's $650 or $750 bucks of rent income lost for LL. If you agree to pay $50 more, it takes the landlord 13 months to break even from that $650 loss.

I feel like I'm not explaining this well. I hope you understand what I'm saying, or somebody else who gets it can explain it better.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:39 AM

26,833 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyiz28 View Post
i moved in beginning of april, and after i payed for june's rent on the beginning of this month,
he states he's gonna raise the rent starting from next month from $650 to $750 due to...
i feel like he's trying to squeeze as much money out of me as possible...
And he's being a jerk about it too. Or at least passive aggressive.

Start packing; consider it a lesson learned.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 AM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
Did you have really high electricity use? What are you using that is causing so much usage?

Perhaps he had previous tenants who only used a small portion of what you use and now needs to charge higher? If his claims are true then I don't see a problem with it.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:30 AM

10 posts, read 5,036 times
thank you for all the replies.

no i didn't try and compromise with him. i understand it might be best for both of us. if it was a legitimate reason and i feel the increase is high, then i would talk with him.

but i really don't feel like it was since before i moved in or signed any paperwork, i stated that i don't eat out and that i cook my meals and that i would need pantry space, access to kitchen, space in fridge and freezer. he agreed that i can and gave me space for my food. if he said no, then i would have said thanks for your time, and go look for another place.

the other tenants don't eat cook as much as i do; so yea i do use the stove more, oven, toaster, etc.. my food in the fridge and freezer... but again, this was all agreed upon beforehand. other than that, no i don't use more electricity than others.

honestly, whats the lesson learned though? i rather not sign a lease since i don't know if my other tenants will be loud, quiet, rude, nice, etc.. thats why i do month to month and technically i think its even legal for the owner to state that he is going to raise the price starting next month while im moving in during my 1st day, since he did give me 30 days notice. i can't judge if the owner is going to be a jerk or not from a 30-60 min. conversation max; he seems very nice initially.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:32 AM

11,062 posts, read 8,980,576 times
You aren't controlling the AC or anything? Do you have anything plugged in your room that could suck energy? If no to both of these then I'd say the guy just doesn't like you and is trying to force you out.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:43 AM

26,833 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjyiz28 View Post
t
honestly, whats the lesson learned though?
that even on a M2M roomie situation that the rent can be set for X months.

The impression I get is that the owner doesn't know his costs
and/or has an unreasonable expectation of how much he can get from tenants.

From the other end though... your $650 (with utilities) should get you better
than a place with so many roomies in the mix.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:00 AM

109 posts, read 78,965 times
I had a landlord who did the same thing once. I called his bluff and said I was moving then (it's not hard to move anyways when you only have a room full of stuff). He didn't want to risk losing a tenant for a month or two (or get a bad one) so my rent stayed the same. It will depend on the area though if that works.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:55 AM

3,463 posts, read 2,290,537 times
Good grief this guy sounds like he is running quite the racket or a good bait and switch scam at best. Either you are living in a very high cost area or he must live in a very nice mansion with lots of nice amenities to charge that much for just a room in a shared living situation with multiple roommates.

$100 extra is awfully high for just one person's additional utilities. Is everything electric? Even still, I highly doubt that you alone are generating that much additional on utilities. Are you the only one getting a rent increase? How many people are living in this house? The more people he has living there the cheaper it should be on average all around for everyone.

Using space in a refrigerator that is already running is surely not going to generate much, if anything, on utilities. If you are doing excessive showering, laundering, cooking, and running excessive A/C, heat, appliances, equipment, etc that you have control of then it could be possible but otherwise I don't get it. I could understand maybe $10 - $20 a month increase but not $100 for just utilities.

I know it is a pain to move but I would think that you could find a studio or 1 bdrm for around that same price and also have complete privacy as well as control of your own utilities, etc.

Who's to say that he won't keep jacking the rent up every few months while you are living there? Something is not adding up based on what you have stated. I would call his bluff if I were you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or