Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 05:40 PM

539 posts, read 566,736 times

Advertisements

No. Repair and deduct doesnt apply in michigan either unless the lease or the landlord specifically says its okay and they agree to all of it. That's not a law anywhere, maybe directly in the city of Pontiac, but not in the state. Most of the time, withholding rent doesn't work unless its an illegal apartment. Or if youre in subsidized housing of some sort and it doesnt meet those government guidelines.

Michigan isnt tenant friendly, so these stipulations you read on this website most dont apply because its not about Michigan. Its with states with different laws.

You can move. Or you can pay. Not having ac isn't a law, a lot of apartments and homes in Michigan don't have ac.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 06:02 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
If a landlord pulls the "it's not habitability issue" time to move because that's a slumlord. Funny if they lived there without a/c their tune would be the total opposite.

Old 06-06-2017, 06:46 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
It is customary for states and municipalities to require occupied dwellings be kept to or above a MINIMUM temperature, but I've never seen a mandated MAXIMUM temperature anywhere.
My apartment doesn't have A/C. But I also grew up in a house without it, so A/C to me is an "extra." I know how to use fans. Maybe the OP ought to learn how, as well. Fans also cost less to run.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:37 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryllnn View Post
They do put in writing when they sent out the work order request, but every time I ask for a copy, they tell me they have shred the work order information for "my own protection". The reason I ran the broken AC was because of the multiple attempts to try and fix it by the maintenance people, they would tell me to run the air for 24 hours to let the charge run through the unit. So, after numerous attempts, my air would run without shutting off. Hence, almost double in charges for the summer months compared to the winter months. Michigan Law states that if the apartment is uninhabitable, then I have the right to with hold rent or reduce the price I pay with the leasing offices consent. Since I am extremely patient and since they would tell me every time I called that it would be fixed the next day, I thought it unnecessary to file a court form to with hold my rent until my AC is fixed.

Honestly, I would have moved out at the renewal of my lease in 2016, but at the time I had gone to court for the lost payment and did not have any money saved at the time, so I would have had no where to live.

I really appreciate the responses and the time you put into helping me out!
You unequivocally will not win a dime for the first year of the lease, 2015. You are highly unlikely to win for the second year. By renewing the lease, without specific specifications to repair the AC, you more or less indicated that you found that living situation acceptable.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:00 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
My apartment doesn't have A/C. But I also grew up in a house without it, so A/C to me is an "extra." I know how to use fans. Maybe the OP ought to learn how, as well. Fans also cost less to run.

Fans can do only so much. I once lived in the upstairs of a house with an east window and a south window. The south window was right below the attic vent which housed a colony of bees. Needless to say I did not try to fan the south window, and with only an east window available for ventilation, there was zero cross breeze and 90+ indoor temperatures half the year.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:56 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meryllnn View Post
I am a tenant at an apartment complex and have had nothing but issues with them. I am a Pontiac, Michigan resident and moved into my apartment July 2015. Upon moving in, I have put on my checklist that my Air Conditioning was broken. I instantly contacted the leasing office and informed them (they knew it was broken). I have had multiple maintenance people (from the leasing office and the HVAC company) try to fix the unit. After calling numerous times during the first month (July 2015) I was informed by the manager at the time, that the leasing office will be replacing all of the A/C units within the week, so to sit tight. I sat tight for almost two years..... After calling for months and months on end and having many maintenance people come to "fix" my A/C, It was still not working, even after I would tell the maintenance people it doesn't run cold even after they charge it. I called for the last time May 22, 2017 only to the HVAC company tell me, my A/C unit is beyond repair and that it will need to be replaced. Mind you, this is more then a year and a half after I was told the first time they would be replacing the units. My lease is up in July 2017 and I have had nothing but problems with false accusations, harassment and neglect since living here. Am I able to sue the property management for the 2 years I have paid rent without A/C AND the enormous difference in my electric bill for having to run the not working A/C a lot of the time? The leasing office doesn't give me work orders for when they do work in the apartments, and the leasing office wont call me back with the name of the HVAC company....

PLEASE HELP!! I have already taken so many of my vacation days to go to court for a rent payment that THEY lost, and now I am going to court for two lease violations they have lack of proof on. I need all the advise I can get before I go to court on Monday for the false assumption and before I contact a lawyer to sue this property management company.
No, the time to complain to the health dept. or housing dept. was the first couple of times they let you down. Now 2 years later....you kept living there, and it seems you have been inconsistent about following up on your own complaints. You may be entitled to compensation....but you would have to prove what has happened over the past couple of years.....Call your local housing offices, HUD, or BBB in your area to find out your options. I wouldn't renew my lease if it were me.

If you do not trust the LL because of this situation, your option is to give proper notice and move, since your lease is up. Do some due diligence, research the apt. complex before moving this time....Look online for places to make or review complaints.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:27 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Your landlord has no obligation to repair the AC. It isn't a habitability issue and you didn't have a working AC when you moved in, so no reason to maintain an amenity that you had at the time you first rented.

I suspect it is possible that your landlord isn't going to do any extra for you after you sued him. Life tends to work like that.

Your best option to get AC is to move out and into a place where the AC is working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting