Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 10:32 PM

903 posts, read 855,786 times

Advertisements

Northern,

Fair enough regarding your dog. I was just pointing out that you have pigeon holed yourself to some degree.

If you don't have it already, I highly recommend renters' insurance. It costs about $10/mo for a $25,000 policy. Not only would it cover your food that goes bad if your fridge dies but it protects you if a guest were to be injured. If there was a fire, theft, etc., you are protected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,283,365 times
OP, basically you're asking why a landlord would let you go. Landlords are all different unique bodies - corporate or individuals.

You are apparently not so great, in your current landlord's eyes, to want to keep you. Really, that's the bottom line.

Why they'd rather keep the annoying neighbor over you is something we can't know without talking to the landlord.

But, you're always free to vote with your feet, as they say. If you don't like it there, just move.

If you have some kind of beef that would allow you to stay if you took some sort of legal action, and it's worth it to you to do so, then by all means do that.

As a former manager of a 25 unit building, I can tell you that just the fact that a tenant paid rent on time every month didn't necessarily make me want to keep them around. Were they rude to me or their neighbors? Were there other problems?

I had tenants who threw down the gauntlet and said they'd move if I didn't do such and such and I told them, I could see that was really important to them, but that I was sorry, I couldn't accommodate them on that matter, etc.

Tenants are not normally hard to replace, is my message here, I guess. If you were a tenant I really wanted to keep, I'd fix what you wanted - which would also, obviously, be reasonable. If you are a tenant I'd love to see go, I'd say "too bad, so sad," and hope you'd just leave.

The max time I'd ever be without a tenant was 30 days. During that 30 days, we'd clean, paint, then advertise and have it rented - this was Silicon Valley. So, tenants may not be as important as they think they are.

Also, I could then get market rent for the vacant apartment, without having to worry about the local rules for how much I could raise rent.

So, just saying, that the simple fact a tenant has been somewhere for X years, doesn't necessarily equal a loss to the landlord. It's a business, like any other.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:08 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,555,527 times
Don't think landlords side with newer tenants because i've been at my current apartment for about 2 years now the newest in this property and he is basically evicting me. Got a letter a few days ago from the property manager that is a 30 day notice to vacate. This came about after an issue with my a hole neighbor that slammed the door so hard it shook me in my bed and scared me out of my sleep. I seen her in the driveway and asked her to stop slamming the door and her immediate response was "why don't you mind your f'in business" while sticking her middle finger up at me. Then she said i was harassing her and she called the cops So 2 days later i get a letter for 30 days to leave.

There has been ongoing issues with this crazy neighbor she doesn't let up. So anyway she/they have been here for about 3 years so I gotta go. I was already on the move looking this just puts alittle more pressure to find something quick.

Sick horrible people in this world that's why i hate renting. Just a few more years and i will have my own property thank god the next apartment will be the last i have to rent the rest of my life.

Old 06-16-2017, 11:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 8,342,078 times
Would it ease your mind to know,you have entered a contract. And most contracts empower each entity.

My complex for three years....Saw a fleeing of residences. We were at 40% occupancy. Suddenly the landlord had a "ahhh ha! Moment. All the complaints suddenly carried merit. Folks got repairs done and often saw a manager willing to resolve resident peace of living. Suddenly certain folks were moved to other buildings... And this solved some of the discord.

During that time ...Us "renewal". Lessee's got discounts if we stayed. Talk about a relief!

Thru this re investing ..We are now at 90% tenancy...And as par for the course....Rent is rising and things are going amuk. Bottom line is...Each side is empowered...And depending on the timing one side can be more enriched then the other. I find a quiet exodus sends a nice message...And when 20 leave quietly....Suddenly the landlord realizes a bird in the hand is key to keeping the cash flowing...

Old 06-16-2017, 11:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,283,365 times
What tenants usually fail to realize is that they are replaceable. And they are usually replaceable by someone who will be happy to pay more for the same unit.

I used to have the same mindset that I should be valued as a long-term tenant. But, then I became a manager of a multi-unit building.

Tenants are just not as valuable as they think they are, by and large.

And just to put my opinion into perspective, I am now a renter. I assert my rights, for sure, but I also realize I'm replaceable.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,881,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Don't think landlords side with newer tenants because i've been at my current apartment for about 2 years now the newest in this property and he is basically evicting me. Got a letter a few days ago from the property manager that is a 30 day notice to vacate. This came about after an issue with my a hole neighbor that slammed the door so hard it shook me in my bed and scared me out of my sleep. I seen her in the driveway and asked her to stop slamming the door and her immediate response was "why don't you mind your f'in business" while sticking her middle finger up at me. Then she said i was harassing her and she called the cops So 2 days later i get a letter for 30 days to leave.

There has been ongoing issues with this crazy neighbor she doesn't let up. So anyway she/they have been here for about 3 years so I gotta go. I was already on the move looking this just puts alittle more pressure to find something quick.

Sick horrible people in this world that's why i hate renting. Just a few more years and i will have my own property thank god the next apartment will be the last i have to rent the rest of my life.
A 30 day notice to vacate is not an eviction, just saying.

Either you're on a month to month lease or your lease is about to expire (normally it's 30-60 days)....giving a 30 notice in the middle of the lease warrants a lease violation....so what did they say you did do warrant this notice?

Old 06-17-2017, 10:21 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,555,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
A 30 day notice to vacate is not an eviction, just saying.

Either you're on a month to month lease or your lease is about to expire (normally it's 30-60 days)....giving a 30 notice in the middle of the lease warrants a lease violation....so what did they say you did do warrant this notice?
I know but i'm being told to leave and that's why i consider it an eviction even though it's not one on paper or through the court. It's month to month they don't have to give me a reason for me to leave. I was looking to move anyway because of the problem neighbor.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:28 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,244,266 times
Quote:

You're not being evicted. You're being asked to leave.

On a side note yesterday I got a call from a tenant. Fridge broke. The fridge is very old now but it worked fine for years and years. Its probably 25 years old if not older. But it finally broke. I don't even know whose it is but it's written in my lease they have access/use of a fridge which means I have to supply one. So I ordered a new fridge. $450 bucks. It is what it is.
But part of the reason I supply a fridge is because in that unit the way the kitchen is built a regular fridge won't fit. It's designed for a apartment size fridge. I think it would be unreasonable to rent it then expect a tenant to supply such oddball size fridge. So I supply the fridge. Doesn't hurt me in any way. The original fridge has long been written off it's value.

Old 06-17-2017, 12:24 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,881,875 times
Quote:
I know but i'm being told to leave and that's why i consider it an eviction even though it's not one on paper or through the court. It's month to month they don't have to give me a reason for me to leave. I was looking to move anyway because of the problem neighbor.
You can it whatever you want, but don't call it an eviction because it's not an eviction..it's a notice to vacate.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:43 PM

86 posts, read 83,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You can it whatever you want, but don't call it an eviction because it's not an eviction..it's a notice to vacate.
You're right.

We had the same thing in one apartment we rented in a 2 family house. A new landlord bought the house, we were told when the lease ended we'd have to leave and he was using this places himself and the other apartment as an office.

eddie1278
You don't seem to have a good place there, so yes, it's annoying but something better will come by with a neighbor who you don't have a bad relationship with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting