Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 01:05 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,052,616 times

Advertisements

The apts in my complex rent quickly and new tenants are not allowed to see the actual unit they'll be living in because it's still occupied; they are instead given a tour of a model. The main differences is that the model has high quality carpeting; freshly painted walls; and is spotlessly clean throughout - definitely 180 from reality. And of course they're told their unit will be identical to the model. You never see your apartment until after you sign the lease and pay the deposit and rent (and that is always done before the previous tenant vacates).

They also advertise the apartments as being luxurious and energy efficient. Luxury and energy-efficient is not defined as having severe air leaks around the windows and doors and little to no insulation for the extreme weather area where they're located (of course the model units are weather tight).

There's pros and cons for both sides and I can appreciate LLs getting beyond frustrated with tenants that don't take care of their apartments; are late with rent; and/or cause a lot of trouble for the other tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 01:10 PM

544 posts, read 1,237,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I know but i'm being told to leave and that's why i consider it an eviction even though it's not one on paper or through the court. It's month to month they don't have to give me a reason for me to leave. I was looking to move anyway because of the problem neighbor.

I remember your post about the slamming door. Wow so they asked you to leave. They did you a favor. Let the next tenant deal with your neighbors. Next place if you have an issue with neighbors, do not approach yourself. Let management handle it

Old 06-17-2017, 01:55 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
I've mostly had good landlords & have always been a good tenant. The only real bad one I had was when the son inherited the apartment building & the boiler wasn't working correctly. It clanked all winter & was right under my apartment. I swear I never got a full nights sleep all winter.

Thankfully when I applied at a different building, they'd already heard of the other building owner's reputation & I had an enjoyable 5 years before I bought a house.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:33 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Well the mindset of most landlords is "pay me my rent, and shut the F up". Most landlords have that attitude that they don't need to provide repairs. THEY would NEVER live in such conditions as their tenants do. This is why tenants are treated so poorly. We are considered the dredges of society, living on the edge of homelessness if not for the kindheartedness of the landlord. Not all landlords are like this, but it feels that more and more are developing that kind of attitude.

That's why it makes sense to deal with a realty company rather than a private landlord so when maintenance issues comes up they resolve in 24-48 hours.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Don't think landlords side with newer tenants because i've been at my current apartment for about 2 years now the newest in this property and he is basically evicting me. Got a letter a few days ago from the property manager that is a 30 day notice to vacate. This came about after an issue with my a hole neighbor that slammed the door so hard it shook me in my bed and scared me out of my sleep. I seen her in the driveway and asked her to stop slamming the door and her immediate response was "why don't you mind your f'in business" while sticking her middle finger up at me. Then she said i was harassing her and she called the cops So 2 days later i get a letter for 30 days to leave.

There has been ongoing issues with this crazy neighbor she doesn't let up. So anyway she/they have been here for about 3 years so I gotta go. I was already on the move looking this just puts alittle more pressure to find something quick.

Sick horrible people in this world that's why i hate renting. Just a few more years and i will have my own property thank god the next apartment will be the last i have to rent the rest of my life.

Did you have a month to month lease? I didn't think a landlord can tell you to leave in 30 days because of some issue with a neighbor.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:46 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,588,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
I remember your post about the slamming door. Wow so they asked you to leave. They did you a favor. Let the next tenant deal with your neighbors. Next place if you have an issue with neighbors, do not approach yourself. Let management handle it
Yep it's crazy. But in my opinion there is nothing you can do but move when you have bad neighbors. If you get any outside sources involved like managment company the police or whoever then the bad neighbors want to retaliate. And nobody cares anyway they say "you need to learn to coexist"

Yeah when the new neighbors move in if they act like this to them they will be the next to go.

Honestly i don't feel that bad about the situation because if a landlord sides with them then you lost nothing it's a relief to be honest to start over new somewhere else.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:24 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That's why it makes sense to deal with a realty company rather than a private landlord so when maintenance issues comes up they resolve in 24-48 hours.
Why would a realtor be any faster?

Anyone can call the plumber, then you are just waiting for him.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Why would a realtor be any faster?

Anyone can call the plumber, then you are just waiting for him.

It just seems like I get faster results now that I live in a building with several units. We make request for repairs or any other issue on the website and once it's sent the issue is resolved in 24 to 48 hours. That was not something I experienced when I paid rent to a private landlord. The first landlord would have a irritated tone when I called about a maintenance issue which confused the heck out of me because it was my first apartment.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:51 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
It just seems like I get faster results now that I live in a building with several units. We make request for repairs or any other issue on the website and once it's sent the issue is resolved in 24 to 48 hours. That was not something I experienced when I paid rent to a private landlord. The first landlord would have a irritated tone when I called about a maintenance issue which confused the heck out of me because it was my first apartment.
So you are comparing a property with only one rental to multiple rentals.

I am currently on my fifth rental property, all have had multiple rental units in them. One time I contracted a management firm to deal directly with tenants, and it turned into a nightmare for me.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 PM

586 posts, read 554,576 times
Quote:
Don't think landlords side with newer tenants because i've been at my current apartment for about 2 years now the newest in this property and he is basically evicting me. Got a letter a few days ago from the property manager that is a 30 day notice to vacate. This came about after an issue with my a hole neighbor that slammed the door so hard it shook me in my bed and scared me out of my sleep. I seen her in the driveway and asked her to stop slamming the door and her immediate response was "why don't you mind your f'in business" while sticking her middle finger up at me. Then she said i was harassing her and she called the cops So 2 days later i get a letter for 30 days to leave.

There has been ongoing issues with this crazy neighbor she doesn't let up. So anyway she/they have been here for about 3 years so I gotta go. I was already on the move looking this just puts alittle more pressure to find something quick.

Sick horrible people in this world that's why i hate renting. Just a few more years and i will have my own property thank god the next apartment will be the last i have to rent the rest of my life.
Gotta quit slamming those doors so hard, Dude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting