Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:03 PM

14 posts, read 19,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
That's quite an ordeal!

Make sure, if you were paying for utilities, that you called all of them to end service in YOUR name.

Quick question:

How/why in the world does any sewage line from house to street (the way it works) run under a detached garage that is set back 75 feet from the house? It snakes back 75 feet and then u-turns back to the street?

No.

In old homes (and even brand new ones) the sewer line runs from the house & straight out to the street.

You got one over...

Sad that so many fell for your BS.

Fiction writing is in your future...just drop the Aspergers excuse for your creative lying/story-telling.
The sewer line runs straight out the back of house , straight through the back yard, under the garage straight to the street , all in a straight line , 2 sections , the sewer main runs under th alley behind all the houses.

And in all due respect, I only mentioned my asperger's because I can be very long winded in my responses because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
So, why are you still living there? Living in sewage and hoping to sue instead of packing up your stuff and moving to another place that is in better condition?

It sounds to me like the landlord has been working on the problem all along. But a faulty sewer line is a valid reason for you to break the lease and move out. You should have been out of there as soon as it became obvious that it wasn't going to be a fast fix.

Putting a band aid on a gaping wound , does not stop fix the wound.

My lawyer in involved , the house has been condemned , and we are in temporary housing at a hotel.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
On a side note. Why did you move to Coatesville? Did you lose a bet? Your story doesn't surprise me. Since you already have a lawyer I would go with their advice. That town is the ghetto capital of Caln Twp. If you can afford it move over to Downingtown.
Not all of Coatesville is a ghetto, downtown yes, out by the airport is nice , we were living in an older community out by Chester county airport, has Coatesville address, but closer to sadaburyville

Old 06-22-2017, 01:27 PM

Let's clear a couple things up. We didn't just pick up and move right away for a couple of reasons .

1. There is a lease in place. We can not arbitrarily pick up and move the first time something goes wrong. We would need the court system to rule that our lease was broken.

2. Moving costs money and time. If you knew how difficult it is everytime we move because of my condition....not an excuse, but it can get very "difficult" for someone with Asperger's to move. Just being in the hotel right now is difficult when most of my belongings are at our house.

We have been moved into a hotel. My lawyer had already drafted a bunch of paperwork, and begun filing it in our local municipality district court. We are looking at new properties online and making appointments to go see them.

For the person who thinks my sewer line doesn't run in the direction I've described, please send me a message and I will get you the pictures.

For the person who blamed me for the issues, go to hell

For the person who made my asperger's an issue, and told me to go write fiction....I would love to share all the pictures and documentation with you . And as a note, I disclose my weakness to everyone I meet and everyone I come into contact with, including forum rats like you, because if people know I am long winded, or get fixated on a small detail, or show a lack of understanding...they will know as to why. It doesn't define who I am, but it is part of who I am.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:30 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beardedguy View Post
Not all of Coatesville is a ghetto, downtown yes, out by the airport is nice , we were living in an older community out by Chester county airport, has Coatesville address, but closer to sadaburyville
Ok, that makes sense. I had the displeasure of having to go to CASH for 10th grade as the Downingtown house we had was just on the wrong side of the district lines. We moved that summer.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:21 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
Quote:
The sewer line runs straight out the back of house , straight through the back yard, under the garage straight to the street , all in a straight line , 2 sections , the sewer main runs under th alley behind all the houses.

And in all due respect, I only mentioned my asperger's because I can be very long winded in my responses because of it.
I lived in 2 houses in Pennsylvania and both of them had all the utilities run to the alley behind the house, not to the street in front of the house.

Makes much more sense to plan the utilities that way than tearing up the street to fix a problem.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:25 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,033,508 times
In addition to the things already listed, I would ask for the expense of cleaning up the sewage for the time you did--Lysol, any cleaning supplies and your time should be compensated.

Also, if you had any expenses related to the sewage flooding when they cleaned it up, you should claim that, any towels or rugs need to be cleaned or disposed of? etc.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Diana, thank you!!!

We aren't looking to "get rich" at all. We want to be released from our lease. We want our moving expenses paid for. We'd like a portion of the money sitting in escrow to be released to us, not all of it, based on the unfit conditions, time off work, and what not. And we want our security deposit back.

We are in a bad situation trying, and needing to get out ASAP, so thats all we want our lawyer to get for us. Have tried to deal with landlord ourselves, but we all see how that worked out.
All of the above and add on some pain and suffering also. Itemize the costs re: time off, and anything that you've had to shell out to try to make things bearable like if you've had to stay in a hotel, or spent your own money on things trying to compensate for your LL not getting the repairs done.

Personally, I wouldn't have hung in there in a house where the things you've described kept happening....I think you've risked your health by doing so.....but it is likely that you cannot sue for that since you chose to remain living there. Unless your LL threatened to sue you for the remainder of the lease if you've ever told him that you wanted out of said lease??? If so, then you might be able to justify getting all your rent back....but I'm no attorney.

Personally if you are at health risks because of this situation, you might try contacting Salvation Army or Red Cross to see if they could assist you with moving costs since you are in a hazardous situation....Or even the LL insurance company.

But, I also wanted to say you should loo at becoming a paralegal, your attention to detail is excellent, and it will help your case immensely.

Good luck and keep us updated please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting