Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 10:10 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,121,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
A lot of companies have policies that they cannot give out any info on an employee other than confirming their employment.
You cannot blame the tenant for that. Most employers will not give out any information about employees other than yes/no they are an employee.

Blame today's litigious environment on that. Employer gives out more info and suddenly they are sued by employee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Sure I understand what some companies have as policy. And the applicant can send me his pay stub.
I could Photoshop one up for you or me or anybody.

When you get right down to it I believe little about employer information.

And personal references? LOL, I should remove that from my applications. Who can't find anybody to say something nice about you? Yo momma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
True, and our organization is the same way. However, if you mail or fax an employment verification form to us, we will fill out with additional info. Rarely do we get these forms from smaller, private landlords...they usually come from property management companies and corporate owned complexes
I'd like to hear more if you care to discuss.

What I'd like is length of employment and confirmation if I give you what the applicant told me they make and you tell me if it's in the ball park.

Or I'd settle for high 5 digits annually, or low 6 digits annually. I don't need exact numbers. Just enough to apply the 3:1 test.

Old 06-23-2017, 05:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I'd like to hear more if you care to discuss.

What I'd like is length of employment and confirmation if I give you what the applicant told me they make and you tell me if it's in the ball park.

Or I'd settle for high 5 digits annually, or low 6 digits annually. I don't need exact numbers. Just enough to apply the 3:1 test.
Generally the forms we see have a company letterhead and ask length of employment, status of employment, rate of pay and an average of hours worked per week. I'm assuming the landlord is also asking for pay stubs, but those are supplied by the tenant..not us.

We don't lie or fudge numbers or give specific hours to PRNs...we only give a 30 day trend. Those on sec 8 and govt assistance ask us to lie on these forms and we won't. They also ask for minimum hours in order to earn the highest assistance they can..again, we won't. We schedule you when we need you and if you don't like it..you can quit or be let go

Old 06-23-2017, 07:09 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
You cannot blame the tenant for that. Most employers will not give out any information about employees other than yes/no they are an employee.

Blame today's litigious environment on that. Employer gives out more info and suddenly they are sued by employee.

)
What more does a landlord need to know? It's not their business what the applicant's job title is, like that should be a deciding factor in approvals.

Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
What more does a landlord need to know? It's not their business what the applicant's job title is, like that should be a deciding factor in approvals.
Actually all I want to know is that they are employed there and their monthly salary. I just want to verify that my tenant applicants have real jobs and sufficient income to afford to rent my property.

Old 06-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Actually all I want to know is that they are employed there and their monthly salary. I just want to verify that my tenant applicants have real jobs and sufficient income to afford to rent my property.
And a handful of recent pay stubs or 5 years or so of W-2 forms can't give you that same info??

Old 06-23-2017, 10:29 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Whether or not it is a full time position and not seasonal or part time. Whether the employer considers the tenant to be reliable. Whether the income is a salary or a commission. How long the employee has worked there.

Job title only matters if the applicant has lied on the application to make himself look better. That lie matters very much. It also matters if the applicant has lied about who his supervisor is, which happens to be rather common.

I can whip you up as many W-2's and pay stubs as you would like to see on my home computer. Sorry, but I will double check to see if the applicant is telling the truth or "enhancing".

Old 06-23-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
And a handful of recent pay stubs or 5 years or so of W-2 forms can't give you that same info??
They would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can whip you up as many W-2's and pay stubs as you would like to see on my home computer. Sorry, but I will double check to see if the applicant is telling the truth or "enhancing".
That's the problem I have too. I know how easily I could fake as much docco as I wanted to.

My current tenants-to-be are moving from out of state, and I finally just decided to gamble that they would find jobs and/or have enough savings until they find jobs to pay the rent. Worst case my rentals are in a landlord friendly state and I can have them out of there faster than their heads can spin.

I have a sort of announcement: This is my last rental screening. From here on in I'm selling my SFRs when they go vacant. I'm on my way out of the landlord business.

A lot of my exit from the business has to do with the things we have been discussing in this topic, and how clever cheaters try to delude landlords into renting to unqualified tenants.

At least this time I know my tenants don't have jobs, but they have a proven job history and are working in a very desirable field (medical) near my rental SFR. Yes I am gambling, but at least I understand I am rolling the dice.

Hey, maybe it's my form of Las Vegas!

I have a diverse portfolio of investments and I fail to see the difference between gambling in Las Vegas, gambling on the S&P 500, and gambling on tenants who I think will perform. Like they say, there only two guarantees in life.

Last edited by Lovehound; 06-23-2017 at 07:51 PM..

Old 06-24-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

If a payroll company is doing the processing, every pay stub should gave that information on it. My pay stubs all say "Payrolls by Paychex, Inc." which is the company my employer uses. A quick Google search will prove the legitimacy.

Old 06-24-2017, 01:18 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Quote:
If a payroll company is doing the processing, every pay stub should gave that information on it. My pay stubs all say "Payrolls by Paychex, Inc." which is the company my employer uses. A quick Google search will prove the legitimacy.
Because they are the only ones capable of typing that on a form? People fake paystubs all the time, that is just a fact of life at this point stop trying to argue about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting