Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 01:03 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
LEOs are held to a higher standard, and they shouldn't be able to throw around their "I'm an LEO" card just because they are transacting business with someone.

Telling the OP he has 40 years as an LEO tells me he's a big-mouthed oaf who pushes people around, and his chief likely knows it, but should take extra care watching him lest he get in trouble with more than just his mouth.
I understand that but he also discussed his son's job and income so it's not like he only disclosed that he's a cop. Are cops not allowed to get angry at perceived rudeness? Sounds to me like he was more offended that the op's response sounded like they were saying that they couldn't afford it or were hustling. Then he's like "I'm a cop and my son is a truck driver and we make tons of money and I could buy 10 of your houses" type thing.
If you think his chief cares about the op you don't know how PD work. It's more like "what's up with this loon complaining to me about some apartment?" Then they lol'd and went for donuts. He's been there 40 years, no one cares about some email war.
Oh well, whatever floats your boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 01:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Can you demonstrate to a judge that your income requirement is reasonable and not capricious? If my rental history demonstrates that I can pay the equivalent of your rent on my income, what is your basis for claiming my income is insufficient?

My basis is I want to make sure I get paid. If my rent is 2000 dollars and you make 2400, you're not going to have enough money to pay me, and pay all your other bills, food, etc, so it's not as simple as I make 2400 therefore I can afford 2000 dollar rent you want.
And I don't have to demonstrate anything to a judge. If I see your DTI is too high or income is too low I simply dint rent to you. Ultimately I want to get my money on the agreement we made. So I'm going to make sure that I rent to someone who is going to pay me without running into issues.

Old 07-10-2017, 05:34 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
Curious how these "cattle call" open houses work. Who gets to turn in the first application, or get "talked with" or however the LL is going to handle it. Does everyone line up outside prior to the opening bell and get a number? Can you "camp out" the night before to get a low number, like a college basketball game? I'm getting carried away, but I really am interested in how they work.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:13 PM

902 posts, read 863,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
But unless I missed something, he wasn't using the job as a threat. He was offended by your canned response about the $ involved with the apartment and that you were implying that he would inquire about an apartment that the son couldn't afford. I get that bc I asked about places for my dad a few months back and some replies read as rude to us normal people who already understand how much money rentals want to get in/credit/bg check. We're not going to ask about a 2k unit if I make 3k or have a 580 score but I also understand the LL and the fact that you do get those people.
You understand that the chief was 99.999% just giving you lip service and a 40 year officer talking some **** to you is nbd. I still think it's strange that you called his boss but don't call the bosses of all the other people who tell you off.
He didn't like your response. He is a policeman and said so, he also said the son was a truck driver. It sounds like he's just giving you the facts.
Maybe you should rethink your blanket response and see if it is rude in tone. You might be so burnt out by the bad apples that you're coming across as rude to decent people.

He is the first person to ever consider it rude but here is the communication. I'm willing to listen to your input. I'm guessing you've never been a landlord as pre-screening is important. It prevents wasting time for both parties if a prospective tenant is not qualified. Here it is:

Prospective Tenant:
I am interested in this rental and would like to schedule a viewing. Please let me know when this would be possible.

Campfires:
Hi (person's name),

What time tomorrow would you be available? The latest I could do is 5:15pm but realistically 5pm. Friday I'm flexible.

I run a credit/criminal/eviction background check as part of the screening process. Are any of those three specific things an issue? I charge a $35/person background check fee which is taken off the first month's rent if the application agrees with the background check and a lease is signed.

You can reach me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. This is a no pet and no smoking home.

Thanks,

Campfires

Do you find my response to be offensive?

Last edited by Campfires; 07-10-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 07-10-2017, 07:43 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
How do you get a credit card when you have a minimum wage income, a pile of student loan debt (even though monthly payments are not required on my minimum wage income) and two old judgments you cannot resolve on a minimum wage income?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Get a secured credit card. They are made for people with credit issues who are trying to rebuild.
Which, if he tried to do something about his situation instead of complaining about it online, he would know this.

freemkt- you can get one at Walmart. You can reload it at Walmart. Pretty simple process.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:30 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
As a society there is a need for Minimum-Wage jobs. I have not said otherwise.

When discussing specific individuals I would assume that most individuals would have some drive to be more than a Minimum-Wage worker all of their career.

I do not drive a Benz, nor do I use drive-thrus.

but you didn't deny having a gut...

Old 07-10-2017, 09:09 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
Which, if he tried to do something about his situation instead of complaining about it online, he would know this.

freemkt- you can get one at Walmart. You can reload it at Walmart. Pretty simple process.

That requires UP FRONT CASH, which I'm unwilling to put up because I'm not going to do anything that impairs my ability to pay rent on time. Not to mention that a "reloadable card" isn't credit. I'm not interested in paying unnecessary fees to make financial transactions.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:38 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Quote:
That requires UP FRONT CASH, which I'm unwilling to put up because I'm not going to do anything that impairs my ability to pay rent on time. Not to mention that a "reloadable card" isn't credit. I'm not interested in paying unnecessary fees to make financial transactions.
Why am I not surprised? You complain about your situation, yet you are willing to do nothing to improve it.

Some prepaid credit cards build your credit history, so a "relodable card" can do that for you. However, I will stand corrected about Walmart, because their card does not.

Capital One Secured MasterCard Review - Rebuild Your Credit
^ No annual fee. Only fees would be the APR if you carry a balance. And, carrying a SMALL balance will improve your credit more than paying it off each month. A few dollars is sufficient. You have to make an initial deposit. However, you eat. So all of your money doesn't go to rent. Buy your groceries with it.

I have a rewards card that I use for everything. I pay for every single thing, even utility and cable bills. Only my mortgage, student loans, and car payment are paid out of my checking account. Why? I earn money. I pay it off every payday, so I don't pay interest. Instead, they pay me $30-80 a month, depending on how much and what I purchase. While you cannot get rewards with the no-fee secured Capital One card I linked, you can build your credit by using it for everything then paying it off. And, as I said, you will get better results by leaving a couple dollars to carry over.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:13 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
He is the first person to ever consider it rude but here is the communication. I'm willing to listen to your input. I'm guessing you've never been a landlord as pre-screening is important. It prevents wasting time for both parties if a prospective tenant is not qualified. Here it is:

Prospective Tenant:
I am interested in this rental and would like to schedule a viewing. Please let me know when this would be possible.

Campfires:
Hi (person's name),

What time tomorrow would you be available? The latest I could do is 5:15pm but realistically 5pm. Friday I'm flexible.

I run a credit/criminal/eviction background check as part of the screening process. Are any of those three specific things an issue? I charge a $35/person background check fee which is taken off the first month's rent if the application agrees with the background check and a lease is signed.

You can reach me at XXX-XXX-XXXX. This is a no pet and no smoking home.

Thanks,

Campfires

Do you find my response to be offensive?
I understand that you need to pre screen.
I don't find it rude per se but it feels less canned and more personal if that makes sense. Those were the responses that kind of hit me wrong, too bc it read like you'd think I'd be that type of person even though logically I know it's not like that. I think that's possibly why he got upset.
I would have preferred to get the criteria via an attachment since then it's more business and just have the friendly part written to me. When you type it in the response, it feels negative but if you send it via document it's just information.
Obviously, you don't have to change your system over one person but it might get other really good people put off, too but they don't mention it. Idk.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Don't blame you. Mine started at Best Buy [any store will do] When you get Approved make sure you make it for Every Store that excepts the card. Mine is VISA [Citi] The trick I used is Anywhere I could use it to pay a bill... in my case Cable/Internet & Auto/Renters Ins I used the card instead of Cash. Then I took the Cash to Best Buy & used it to pay the bills. Dumb I know but that how a poor person ..me income of $755 a month improves their credit. Not only did it improve my credit my amount I can use it for went from $1000 for the 1st 12 months to $1500!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting