Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 01:01 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakamuraTakeshi View Post
Not trying to twist. Trying to understand and learn thus think of my options since I was blindsided. If I'm screwed I'm screwed but I'm going to see what I can do.

Thank you for everything else. Only 3 months left on lease so here is hoping I can pay my lease in advance or get them to agree in writing that my name will remain on the lease so I am liable for damages or non-payments from her and my current roommate.
Just a thought, but the landlord can't collect money twice for the same space. There are scams where the LL will tell you they couldn't find another renter, even though they have, and attempt to collect rent from both of you. In other words, if you are still paying rent, keep the key, visit frequently to make sure no one else is in your space...despite having a roommate already there.

Also, if the gf can stay on property, she could reimburse you. I would do this as a last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 02:12 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Someone else has done a good job of addressing your problem so I'm not going to get into it, short answer is you are screwed. Try talking to them on Monday and see if they will change their mind though.

Quote:
She has a lower 600 credit score due to a 6k student loan
You don't get a bad credit score just because you have student loan debt, $6k at 6% over 10 years is only $67. You get a low score because you don't make payments on time. Student loans aren't included in the debt to limit ratio because they aren't revolving debt so the best comparison to them is an auto or home loan. Having those doesn't bring your score down just for having them. Pay on time and open some credit cards, keeping their usage under 25% of their limit, and your score will go up quickly.

Old 07-16-2017, 08:06 PM

8 posts, read 11,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Someone else has done a good job of addressing your problem so I'm not going to get into it, short answer is you are screwed. Try talking to them on Monday and see if they will change their mind though.
Change their mind about what? Accepting her as my replacement?

Old 07-16-2017, 09:50 PM

903 posts, read 862,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post

You don't get a bad credit score just because you have student loan debt, $6k at 6% over 10 years is only $67. You get a low score because you don't make payments on time. Student loans aren't included in the debt to limit ratio because they aren't revolving debt so the best comparison to them is an auto or home loan. Having those doesn't bring your score down just for having them. Pay on time and open some credit cards, keeping their usage under 25% of their limit, and your score will go up quickly.
On the flip side, not paying student loan debt is in vogue for some reason. My newest tenant has a horrendous FICO score yet when I did a full credit pull, the vast majority was due to non-payment of student loans. He was paying the other bills.

For the millenials on this forum and other posters, why is student loan debt the absolute last debt to get paid? Is it because it doesn't impact your ability to consume/live/drive/etc?

My parents were cosigners on some of my loans. When I was furloughed after 9/11, I immediately applied for deferment. After I was employed again, I prioritized those loans and was finally able to pay them off at 35 years of age.

Am I wrong in assuming that most student loans have cosigners? If not, why would you leave your folks holding the bag? Doesn't that make for awkward Xmas gatherings?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:06 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post

For the millenials on this forum and other posters, why is student loan debt the absolute last debt to get paid? Is it because it doesn't impact your ability to consume/live/drive/etc?

My parents were cosigners on some of my loans. When I was furloughed after 9/11, I immediately applied for deferment. After I was employed again, I prioritized those loans and was finally able to pay them off at 35 years of age.

Am I wrong in assuming that most student loans have cosigners? If not, why would you leave your folks holding the bag? Doesn't that make for awkward Xmas gatherings?
I would say most people did not have cosigners. Usually students only need their parents to cosign if they are getting non-federal student loans. And, if you are getting a non-federal student loan, you probably should wait to go to school because you will never get out of that debt

My student loan payment is set on autodraft. I don't even think about it. It is on a graduated plan and it increases every two years. They send me an email telling me what it is increasing to. Never missed a payment. Of course, when I graduated, I only had about $22K in debt, which is pretty low compared to many people. Especially because that was 5 years at university, no community college or anything.

My step brother, on the other hand, is an idiot. (He is younger and didn't listen to me.) He took out Sallie Mae loans in the beginning, and my step dad co-signed for them. He later realized how costly they were and began taking out federal loans for the remainder of his education. However, it took him EIGHT* years to graduate with a worthless degree in sports nutrition from a low ranking college. He lived on campus for the majority of the time, too, despite it only being a 30-40 minute commute. He has just shy of $100K in student loan debt. Because he cannot afford the payments, he keeps getting them deferred. He won't even take a decent job because he knows he will have to pay more and he cannot afford it (the entire increase would have to go to the loans). He did work at a grocery store and now he drives a city bus, lol. As I said, he is an idiot. He wishes he had listened to me.

*I don't knock people for taking longer to graduate. Just him, lol. It took me five years, but I also worked full time and took 6 classes that I didn't need because my advisor told me I did need them. He didn't work during the school year. He did seasonal summer work only. He failed several classes. Ridiculous since school was his only focus. Of course, he chose to focus on sitting on the couch smoking weed more than his actual studies.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,964,911 times
Quote:
I'........Hopefully they take my situation into account and allow me to vouch for her. .........
The only way you can "vouch" for her is to sign on as her cosigner. Do you really want to make yourself legally liable for her bills?

Although, you are already legally liable for your rent even if she lives for free in the apartment that you vacated.

Just a word of warning, as long as you are on the lease, you are not free from obligation when the lease term ends. You are in the hook until that apartment is returned to the landlord vacant. Leases have conditions for continuing occupancy automatically and your obligation is going to continue automatically.

You need to talk to your landlord and see if you can work something out, but be aware, your landlord is in no way responsible for roommate politics, which is what your problem is. You and the roommate are both responsible for the rent, and your roommate has chosen to break the rules, dragging you along with him. Not your landlord's problem, but maybe the landlord will work something out with you. Do not expect to get out of this for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting