Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 2,869 times

Advertisements

So, like in May, I moved into a new place. My roommate wasn't planning on setting up internet as he wasn't going to be there during the summer, but since I was there and needed Internet, he set it up for me to use for 3 months before I left. As a result, during the month I used it, he paid the internet service. Now, since we both are not there currently, we are splitting this months bill. However, my roommate says I owe him money for the past 3 months since he set it up for me to use and I was the only one there. I'm just wondering and making sure I'm not being swindled, but is this fair for him to ask of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 05:55 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
i think you should be paying for it if you're the only one using it. Are there other utilities (electric, water, etc.)? How are those being split?

Old 07-24-2017, 05:57 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,433,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SasoriOrange View Post
So, like in May, I moved into a new place. My roommate wasn't planning on setting up internet as he wasn't going to be there during the summer, but since I was there and needed Internet, he set it up for me to use for 3 months before I left. As a result, during the month I used it, he paid the internet service. Now, since we both are not there currently, we are splitting this months bill. However, my roommate says I owe him money for the past 3 months since he set it up for me to use and I was the only one there. I'm just wondering and making sure I'm not being swindled, but is this fair for him to ask of me?
I would pay for the months he was there to use it. Only fair.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,923,325 times
Sasori, I don't understand what you're saying. Neither of you are living there but the internet service is continuing?

Could you be clearer on what was done what month? And who moved in and out when?

And lastly, how much money is the total that you are disputing?

Thanks.

And Scrat, why do you say "I would pay for the months he was there to use it"? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:19 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
It sounds like you were subletting? Whether or not it was a sublet, unless he said up front that the rent included all utilities including internet, I don't see why you think he should pay for the internet for YOU to use? I would pay for the 3 months you were there using it - the last month, it depends. Did he just forget to cancel the service soon enough so got stuck paying for another month? I'd still be inclined to split it anyway, it can't be that much money and doesn't seem worth fighting over.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Sasori, I don't understand what you're saying. Neither of you are living there but the internet service is continuing?

Could you be clearer on what was done what month? And who moved in and out when?

And lastly, how much money is the total that you are disputing?

Thanks.

And Scrat, why do you say "I would pay for the months he was there to use it"? That doesn't make sense to me.

Ok, let me elaborate. I moved in May, my roommate set up internet for me to use for 3 months as he was leaving on vacation(We are uni students, I am a freshman). I was there during May and June to use it. Now in July, we are not there(I am on vacation but since my roommate set it up, internet service continues. My roommate set it up, so he paid fully for June and May, the months I was using it for. Now, we are splitting July as neither of us are there, but my roommate wants me to pay him for June and May. Does that make sense? In total cost is around 171 dollars for the two months.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:33 PM

Yes, we are subletting.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Scratching my head here. You used it, you should pay for it. Why is this even a question?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SasoriOrange View Post
IF you're the only one using it you should pay the whole bill. If you both use it you should split the bill

Old 07-24-2017, 06:50 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
IS the internet Just in your room? Even on Vacation Bills still need paid...or do you want to return & find you have been evicted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting