Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 04:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,046,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dogsnokids View Post
Wait, garages with openers are safer than ones without- because you have to have the opener to get into the garage.
You have it backwards. Not only are openers vulnerable to hacking and code scanning but also breaking and entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz1tXBVT1s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 04:29 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,046,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've said this repeatedly. I would never request a fence. I will just pass on the house. For the garage door opener, I would arrange for professional installation and would leave it after the lease is over. Why should I pay more than what's on the lease?
Because , as you said yourself, it "adds value"?

Old 07-31-2017, 04:32 PM

43,016 posts, read 76,519,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You have it backwards. Not only are openers vulnerable to hacking and code scanning but also breaking and entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMz1tXBVT1s
And, that is why the door to the house from garage should be locked.

Still pretty tangential.
I like the security of entering the garage without exiting the vehicle.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:20 PM

450 posts, read 589,119 times
Being a bit handy I installed a dedicated outlet with a switch in the laundry room. Just turn the power to the opener off when not needed.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:25 PM

1,020 posts, read 801,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dogsnokids View Post

They don't sell new homes without an opener, why would you rent one?

They sure do! The builders around here, even up to the 800K price range do NOT include GDO's. They are an available option, for you to purchase if you wish. It was an optional item on the last 3 houses I've built, in 2 different states.

That said, I personally would never rent or build a house without a GDO, but like most everything else real estate, it is dependent on what's standard for that area. Obviously it's not standard for the OP's area to have a GDO.

OP, I don't think it would hurt to ask, but I think it's a long shot. If the owner felt it was necessary for the area from a competitive standpoint, they would already have it. I'd still ask though.

As for a fence, well, that is VERY dependent on your area. It took me 16 YEARS to find a new home in Colorado where I was ALLOWED to have a fence. They are mostly either prohibited here or you're limited to a 4 foot split rail, which to me, is not even a fence. Same thing was happening in Mpls before we moved there. The trend is for many HOA's to not allow fencing. It's all very specific to your market. My parents live in a market where the standard is to have a 10 foot high wall.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:22 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,251,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP doesn't want to pay for it. OP wants the landlord to pay for it, but after the landlord pays for it and doesn't get any additional rent, OP has kindly offered to leave the opener there when OP moves out.

OP might be able to find a landlord who will allow OP to install an opener at OP's own expense. I think the odds of a landlord being all that pleased to pay for one, even if OP intends to leave it at move-out , are pretty slim. If the landlord wanted to pay for a garage door opener, there would already be one on the garage door.
First OP said they wanted the landlord to pay for it.

Then OP said they would be willing to split it with the landlord.

Then OP said they would pay $50 more in rent for a house with a garage door opener than one without it (although for some reason only if the opener was already installed).

...I think if push came to shove (and OP didn't find a rental that already had one installed) OP would pay for the opener themselves.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:01 PM

7,933 posts, read 7,280,404 times
Quote:
What's the deal with houses having garages but no garage door openers? I'm on the hunt for a rental and I can't believe how often I see this. Doesn't that cancel out the purpose of having a garage in the first place?
LOL I think this sentence gets the First World Problem Award this week!

I'm 56 and I've never had an electric garage door opener. That includes growing up at my parents' house where the detached garage didn't have electricity and had folding doors that opened to the side.

Old 07-31-2017, 09:11 PM

903 posts, read 854,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
First OP said they wanted the landlord to pay for it.

Then OP said they would be willing to split it with the landlord.

Then OP said they would pay $50 more in rent for a house with a garage door opener than one without it (although for some reason only if the opener was already installed).

...I think if push came to shove (and OP didn't find a rental that already had one installed) OP would pay for the opener themselves.
Mic drop!

Old 07-31-2017, 10:12 PM

10,284 posts, read 8,440,839 times
I think this has got to be the longest thread about garage door openers.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:13 PM

4,578 posts, read 5,619,715 times
Quote:
Wait!?! From an owner's perspective, wouldn't it be seen as a physical improvement that will add value to the home for future tenants? I would use professional installers so the job is done correctly.
You aren't going to get it done for $300. Do you think you are the first tenant to want a garage door opener? I would suspect that almost every single tenant that came through that house has inquired, and has probably been told no.

And once it's installed -- hmm, an improvement, maybe a higher rent.

Between a fence and a garage door opener, I would suspect that many landlords are going to label you "high maintenance" and move on to the next tenant. Don't try to remake a rental home -- if they wanted it updated, they would have updated it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting