Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:51 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,452,226 times

Advertisements

Out of all the tenants I have currently... only one uses the garage to park.

Every other garage is filled... some to overflow with sports equipment, hobby things, kids toys, bikes, etc... how about 4 kayaks? Most here need the space more than a place to keep their car... mild weather, no snow, little rain...

Again... a one time cost is most insignificant... having to pay someone for a house call any day of the week is the problem...

Part of being a success as a Housing Provider means being aggressive to reduce problems and service calls are problems.

The other is my concern for safety which the new doors are better... but the better part as in sensors can also cause problems.

The rent on a home pales when service calls are factored...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 07:38 AM

1,528 posts, read 1,578,854 times
If most people in your target market have not had a garage before, most won't even notice whether it has an opener or not. They might after a while but usually not up front. Actually, you can probably say the same for garages (they often don't appreciate the need for one). But if you have a larger family home for rent in a car oriented place with lots of newer homes, then of course it will be expected.

Garage doors and openers together form a pretty complex system that relies on many moving parts and needs to be aligned, balanced, lubricated, etc or it will fail. And there needs to be a lot of sensors and other safety related parts. Injuries from openers can be horrific and the industry recommends frequent inspections. Homeowners normally don't worry about this but if you're a landlord, it's wise to try to follow guidance or you could have liability issues. And, as mentioned, the remotes are lost, stop working due to interference batteries dying, etc. and you need to ensure that codes are changed when tenants change, etc.

Tenants are more likely to misuse things and sometimes ignore problem warning signs as long as things still work. And more injuries happen in rentals than non-rentals.

I'm not making a case for not having an opener as that's particular to what the market expects but just trying to help explain why a landlord may not want one if there isn't clear demand for one. You could argue that all machines in the home are complicated, need inspection and service, and could cause injury or damage. Yes, that's true but trying to exclude a clothes washer/dryer or a dishwasher doesn't work as well in the market. Kind of like a disposer (not sure if they are in fashion any longer) but they would jam, could be dangerous, subject to bad effects if misused, clog and cause clogs further along in pipes, etc. Might not be a big worry for a homeowner but they are bound to cause call-outs for a landlord. And most renters don't usually even notice if there is none.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 AM

84 posts, read 110,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It really sounds like a difference of expectations.

A 12x18 garage can rent for $400 to $600 a month and none have openers... just to easy to break into in San Francisco...

So how again is the garage not usable?
Wait, garages with openers are safer than ones without- because you have to have the opener to get into the garage.

I rented one home in college without an opener and NEVER parked in the garage- the landlord got a fine every month from the HOA because I was parked in the driveway, and she paid it knowing that I couldn't get into the garage. I swore i would never again rent from someone who couldn't provide basic convenience- no matter how nice the wood flooring or updated kitchen was.

They don't sell new homes without an opener, why would you rent one?

Old 07-31-2017, 08:10 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 6 days ago)

43,084 posts, read 76,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dogsnokids View Post
Wait, garages with openers are safer than ones without- because you have to have the opener to get into the garage.

I rented one home in college without an opener and NEVER parked in the garage- the landlord got a fine every month from the HOA because I was parked in the driveway, and she paid it knowing that I couldn't get into the garage. I swore i would never again rent from someone who couldn't provide basic convenience- no matter how nice the wood flooring or updated kitchen was.

They don't sell new homes without an opener, why would you rent one?
Actually, for some bottom of the barrel builders, an opener is an option.
That helps them advertise price leader construction.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:12 AM

2,136 posts, read 2,300,498 times
Oh the horror of having to get off of one's seat and, God forbid, manually open a garage door!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:24 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,066,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK76 View Post
Oh the horror of having to get off of one's seat and, God forbid, manually open a garage door!
Inland Empire, hmm. Let me know the last time you had to walk through a foot or two of snow to open your garage door!

Old 07-31-2017, 08:32 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,428,318 times
ALL houses come with garage door openers, dishwashers, and garbage disposals.

(me)

Old 07-31-2017, 08:34 AM

17,026 posts, read 21,709,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
No.

Just more things that can go wrong...
That the tenant will expect to be fixed......

Old 07-31-2017, 08:37 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,066,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
ALL houses come with garage door openers, dishwashers, and garbage disposals.

(me)
Ditto!!

And I don't expect to ever rent again because I don't plan to let someone else make those decisions for me.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:55 AM

6,518 posts, read 8,313,769 times
FWIW, if an amenity (such as a fence or garage opener) does not already exist when the property is acquired, a LL is not going to add it to an investment property. Simply because it is something that requires additional maintenance, additional repairs, additional hassle while bringing in very little, if any, additional income.

I'm truly curious, OP - How much additional per month would you pay for this exact home if it already had a garage opener?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting