Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 11:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie peng View Post
I am a honest and kind landlord and owns one nice 1300 sqft 2 levels condo in CA. My previous tenant leave her dogs pee everywhere in living room & hallway, stairs, bedrooms, and never cleaned and gone on July 31 2017. When I rented to her, it is very clean carpet. She said she will use her security deposit for her last month payment which is the best she could do. I will sue her to replace carpet.

Well you're going about it the wrong way. You use the security deposit to fix the damage. Then you sue for unpaid rent and additional damage costs thatvthe security deposit did not cover

Then my current tenant signed contract 2 years lease on July 22 2017, the current tenants didn't view condo when we signed the 2 years lease. But in contract we agreed to each other that she will move in on Aug 1 2017 and decide if she likes it or not. If she dislikes this condo, then she can move out at the end of month and I give her discount for this month rental + refund security deposit. She moved everything in Aug 1 2017, then she complained the dog urine smell, I did professional clean, she wants me to replace the whole carpet which I don't want to do it until I get payment from previous tenants.

Good luck getting the money. Even if you win in court you have to collect. The tenant isn't gonbg to just hand over money

I said we rent our condo as is, she decided she will find a new place, so I said you move your belongs out till Aug 8 2017 and your rental payment and security deposit will be fully refunded. She spent a week to look for a new place, she still cannot find a place she likes. She mentioned either too dirty or too expensive or too small. She may not live in my suite during the last week because she said she stay in her mom's place or hotel, but her son took showers in my suite and sometime slept there. She also talked to HOA office she has health issue so she wants to move out asap. But last night she said she will stay here for this month and decide if she will stay for the next year.

I have a couple of questions, can anyone please give me some advises?

1. I am scared of this lady and her health excuse, Can I terminate this 2 years contract at the end of this month? Can she sue me for dog urine carpet affecting her health?

Ok so simply tell her that you are willing to let her out of her lease. She has to pay until she moves out and barring damaging anything you will refund her deposit. She would have to prove the urine is making her sick. Unless she's using the carpet as a teabag the smell may be intolerable but i doubt it's making her sick. She wants out of the kessecso let her out. It's unfair to keep her there when you are not doing your John's providing a property that doesn't smell like dog ****.

2. Our dishwasher was broken, is it legal if I don't fix this dishwasher? I don't want to fix it.

A dishwasher isn't a legality issue or a habitability issue as it's not needed to survive but if it's listed as a amenity on the lease agreement you are liable to fix it or have it working for the duration of the lease

3. She said my condo window don't close, my condo building was built 2009 by Toll brother, very nice. windows are very heavy and not easy to close, but my husband can close and lock them. Do I need to replace windows?

Unless the window requires some Herculean effort to close it may be in need of replacement repair or service. Windows do require periodic service

Much appreciate for any kind responses.
I don't see why you're crying. You as a LL have certain responsibilities to your property and to your tenants. It's not the tenants fault you don't have money to afford carpet replacement or replacing/repairing a dishwasher or a window. And it shouldn't be their problem. These are things that are your responsibility as a LL.

I don't understand why you're making such convoluted deals of moving in accepting or not accepting the property, move out I replace this that etc. She leased it sight unseen she is legally stuck with it. Granted I would be cussing you out every time I made a payment and if I would catch ANY wrongdoing on your part I would be all over your ass to terminate the lease.

Why don't you just replace the carpet. Simply tearing out the old carpet and pad makes a world of difference n smells. And you can buy cheap carpet. So you either don't have the money in which case you need to start a reserve account if you plan on doing this as a job or you are clueless how to be a LL in which case you learn fast or sell and do something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie peng View Post
Thank you for response.

I did agree previous tenants use her security deposit, but she said I don't have money, this is the best I could do to you you the balance. She is a school teacher. Can anyone believes that?
This tenant is either delusional or a cheater who is waving red flags in your face...regardless of her profession. No responsible adult should allow a dog to pee in a house they don't even own. She is taking advantage of you asking to use her security deposit as last month's rent. She knows she caused damage to the unit and unwilling to do anything about it. If another landlord calls you asking about this tenant tell them the truth. Maybe this would be worse if she had cats!

Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Did you clean the carpet or have it done by a service?

Also if the floor underneath the carpet is saturated with urine you may have to remove or replace the flooring underneath it.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:25 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Sorry, but I think it's incredibly disgusting and very shady that you rented the unit out to someone else knowing that it smelled heavily of dog urine. We aren't talking about one questionable spot that you cleaned and hoped for the best on. We aren't talking about replacing the carpet and padding but skimping on replacing the subflooring and hoping that it was sufficient. You said, "My previous tenant leave her dogs pee everywhere in living room & hallway, stairs, bedrooms, and never cleaned and gone on July 31 2017." So there was dog urine everywhere. Ugh. I bet that unit really reeks.

And with a less than 24-hour turnover, I'm not sure I believe that you had it "professionally cleaned." I'm guessing that you rented it out as-is, without doing much of anything at all about the dog pee all over the house. If so, I honestly think you should be ashamed of yourself. Your previous tenant did you wrong, yes, but you did your current tenant wrong, too. Really wrong. I'm not sure that I agree with your assessment of yourself when you say, "I am a honest and kind landlord."

Do you know how expensive it is to move? How much of a big hassle it can all be? Sure, your tenant made a mistake by renting sight unseen, but she probably gave you the benefit of the doubt. Then, she moved into a former dog kennel with a broken dishwasher, and she can't even open the windows to try to air it out because they don't work, either. How upsetting.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:53 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Fix your problem forever. Replace the carpet and install tile. Slate will last 50 years and it's cheap. Never replace carpeting again. Dog urine, and anything else like bleach, acid, ink, etc. won't do a thing to it. And it doesn't transmit sound. I've had it for decades and it is unchanged form the day it was laid down.

Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
With a 24 hour turnover I'm starting to think the "professional cleaning" was renting one of those wet vacs from the grocery store that probably didn't help at all and left the carpet still wet when the new tenant was moving in. So wet carpet that smelled like pee, no wonder they are mad. Gross!

Old 08-10-2017, 08:36 AM

92 posts, read 83,582 times
You should have replaced the carpet before letting a new tenant move in

Old 08-10-2017, 08:37 AM

92 posts, read 83,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Sorry, but I think it's incredibly disgusting and very shady that you rented the unit out to someone else knowing that it smelled heavily of dog urine. We aren't talking about one questionable spot that you cleaned and hoped for the best on. We aren't talking about replacing the carpet and padding but skimping on replacing the subflooring and hoping that it was sufficient. You said, "My previous tenant leave her dogs pee everywhere in living room & hallway, stairs, bedrooms, and never cleaned and gone on July 31 2017." So there was dog urine everywhere. Ugh. I bet that unit really reeks.

And with a less than 24-hour turnover, I'm not sure I believe that you had it "professionally cleaned." I'm guessing that you rented it out as-is, without doing much of anything at all about the dog pee all over the house. If so, I honestly think you should be ashamed of yourself. Your previous tenant did you wrong, yes, but you did your current tenant wrong, too. Really wrong. I'm not sure that I agree with your assessment of yourself when you say, "I am a honest and kind landlord."

Do you know how expensive it is to move? How much of a big hassle it can all be? Sure, your tenant made a mistake by renting sight unseen, but she probably gave you the benefit of the doubt. Then, she moved into a former dog kennel with a broken dishwasher, and she can't even open the windows to try to air it out because they don't work, either. How upsetting.
Right? OP sounds like a slumlord. He/she should pay for the tenants moving fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting