Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:48 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times

Advertisements

In my city the guideline is 2 per bedroom... plus one... so 7 for a 3 bedroom would be the norm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
ahh, how times have changed since our parents (grandparents to some of you) grew up. My parents grew up in the post depression era and in much smaller houses than are common today.

My mother was one of 8 kids who were born and grew up in a three room house. One real bedroom and the living room and kitchen. Bathroom was a few hundred feet out the back door.

My Dad was in a barn for a few years with his family after the house burned down. Smaller family and more space, but no bedrooms at all.

I understand the reasons behind cities legislating occupancy limits on rental housing and have no problem with it. I even agree with it in nearly all circumstances. I am just pointing out how times have changed.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:19 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
In my city the guideline is 2 per bedroom... plus one... so 7 for a 3 bedroom would be the norm...

Yes, my family of seven is currently renting a three-bedroom apt. We are all on the lease, of course. We're comfy and organized-it's a clean home. We did have a hard time finding a place to rent-even with stellar credit, jobs and references, no pets-because we were always honest about our family size. One lady ran all the checks, offered us the place, then 'looked closer' at our app and realized our size-she freaked! We declined because we felt she had a negative attidude. She had it vacant for awhile after that, heh, her loss.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:00 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Trying to find info on that for my city...

I am thinking its just what federal housing statutes are as its the same in your part of town ultra.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:15 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Well I cant find the info but I did find this:

"In the legal system of the United States, preemption generally refers to the displacing effect that federal law will have on a conflicting or inconsistent state law. The Supremacy Clause (Article VI, section 2) of the United States Constitution states that The Laws of the United States, (which shall be made in Pursuance to the Constitution), shall be the supreme Law of the land. Thus, when there is a conflict between a state law and federal law, the federal law (subject to the Tenth Amendment and Fifth Amendment and other Constitutional Law) trumps – or "preempts" – the state law. The term is also sometimes used to refer to the displacing effect state laws might have on ordinances enacted by municipalities."

Preemption (law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So that LL has no right to charge extra within fed guidelines.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,052 times
I am so happy I found this site. My husband & I rented our 1 bdrm apt. out to a friend, trying to help. The scenario is, the apt. really isn't finished, bdrm does not have closet. Bathroom complete, kitchen small but functional. New carpeting & paint. We charged him $800. a month for him & his son who comes on every other weekend & Wed. All utilities are included. He now has a "girlfriend" with her 4 kids staying over more than his own son. I told him I was going to up the rent, honestly I don't know what is appropriate. We have septic & well, not city sewer. I'm concerned about all the extra people on our septic. We need the money (winter fuel heat is coming) But I really don't like this situation. Can you please advise me?

Thank you,
Nancy

Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 AM

2 posts, read 4,052 times
Default rental in NJ

I forgot to say that I live in NJ, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Thank you again for your help

Nancy

Old 08-02-2015, 09:56 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Does your lease specify anything about long term guests or how long a guest is allowed before they need to be added to the lease?

Old 08-02-2015, 11:09 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
You should create a separate thread for your issue. But to answer the question it depends on several factors. You cannot raise rent during the term of a lease however you can raise utilities depending on the way your lease agreement is laid out. Also your lease should contain something specific to guests and housing guidelines on occupancy must be enforced. In a 1 bedroom it is a max of 3 people and if your tenant violates this then they are in breach of contract. The city can, and will when they find out, come after you for allowing too many occupants.

Old 08-02-2015, 04:28 PM

784 posts, read 729,003 times
You can absolutely charge more for an extra adult roommate. It is not a fair housing violation.

Adding an extra adult is changing the lease. When you add an extra adult, it's another background check, and a lease occupant addition. If the landlord wants to charge more, it is their option. It the tenant wants to keep that roommate out, or move to a new place, it is their option - after the original terms and price of the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting