Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:40 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,193,074 times

Advertisements

I have paid this before...

BUT

Older and a little more researched now I am finding that I am questioning it.

This is why:
7 slimy landlord tactics - Rentals - MSN Real Estate

"Roommate rights
Landlords also may try to whack you extra for taking on a roommate or an extended house guest -- even though federal housing statutes prohibit landlords from raising rents on tenants who do so. There are limits, of course, so you can't pile in your whole extended family. What's typical is two individuals per bedroom, plus one. So, up to three people (including children) can reside in your one-bedroom apartment before the landlord can jack up the rent or issue an eviction notice."

I have seen on craigslist people asking 100$ more per occu.
So..That would be not kosher right?

If my new place I am looking at asks this I want to ask them
"Oh I thought..."
Because those companies that are asking the extra 100$ for postings I have also found tons of complaints on them online. (lack of vermin control, repair issues, basic black and white problems etc)

So I am just wondering if I should use this as a red flag for
"do not rent there"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,466,347 times
Remember, the Owner still needs to know who is living at his property and my rule it that every adult must fill-out my rental application and be approved to be added to the Rental Agreement.

Adding Room Mates is not without risk to the existing renter... Most agreements hold all adults jointly and severally responsible for late rent, damages and lease violations...

Just something to think about...

Old 03-13-2008, 11:23 PM

Oh I wouldnt lie about it. We are a couple..And no more roomates EVER.
(ugh been there done that..lol)
Dual application fee charged per person is fine.
The last place before this one our LL pulled a few
(additional rent, tried to collect double rent - found out through utilities)
But I also have just been presented the flat rate rent before I said anything about more than myself living there and it stayed the same cost.

Does including utilities change this federal rule?

Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,454,440 times
It depends on what your rental agreement states which as long as it's not in conflict with local statutes it is legally binding. I agree with ultrarunner.

The landlord has a right to determine who resides at his/her property. If you add an occupant (who is not a minor) and the lease specifically states only the occupants listed are to live at the residence then... you are risking getting into a conflict with your contract. I do the same thing as ultrarunner, everyone has to fill out an application and be approved before they live in the house and I will nick them an extra 10% on top of the rent as long as that person lives there. That is fair and reasonable. With each occupant comes more issues.

It is not uncommon for a federal law to be in conflict with a state law btw.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:34 PM

Application approval yes..Thats legal.

But the adding more rent..Thats against fed law according to that article. Thats the part I am questioning:

"federal housing statutes prohibit landlords from raising rents on tenants who do so. There are limits, of course, so you can't pile in your whole extended family. What's typical is two individuals per bedroom, plus one. So, up to three people (including children) can reside in your one-bedroom apartment before the landlord can jack up the rent or issue an eviction notice."

Does federal law trump state law?

Old 03-14-2008, 04:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,766,222 times
A funny thing. A few months ago one of our rentals was vacant. So I got a phone call from a person who said he would be interested and how much the rent was. I said $2000 plus utilities.

He came to see it, along with 4 others. I asked how many would be living here and he said 11. I said ;; oh I couldnt not rent to 11 people ; its a 4 bed house with two bathrooms. The rent was based on 5 people living there. He looked around and I never saw him again.

To defend myself and other landlords. If there are more people living in the house, it ups your liability, ups the cost of everything also.

d

Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,996,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
A funny thing. A few months ago one of our rentals was vacant. So I got a phone call from a person who said he would be interested and how much the rent was. I said $2000 plus utilities.

He came to see it, along with 4 others. I asked how many would be living here and he said 11. I said ;; oh I couldnt not rent to 11 people ; its a 4 bed house with two bathrooms. The rent was based on 5 people living there. He looked around and I never saw him again.

To defend myself and other landlords. If there are more people living in the house, it ups your liability, ups the cost of everything also.

d

Eleven people?????? Way too much. It would be impossible to keep track of who's living there. One person moves out, another moves in and on and on and on.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:37 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,589,721 times
I got a call from a lady stating it was only for her and her husband and their 5 kids! My rental has only 3 bedrooms, seems small to me for 7 people and i was happy when she called me back stating it was to far from where they worked.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:14 PM

39 posts, read 234,876 times
I am apartment hunting in NJ and a LL I called told me the base rent for his 2br apartment was 1,000 for one person and an extra $100 for each addl person. This was the first time i ever heard anything like this so I thought it was really strange. No utilities were included with this apartment either so I dont know how he justifies charging $100 more for each person. Needless to say this was about a month ago and that apt. still has a for rent sign posted.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:41 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,737,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeyab2004 View Post
I am apartment hunting in NJ and a LL I called told me the base rent for his 2br apartment was 1,000 for one person and an extra $100 for each addl person. This was the first time i ever heard anything like this so I thought it was really strange. No utilities were included with this apartment either so I dont know how he justifies charging $100 more for each person. Needless to say this was about a month ago and that apt. still has a for rent sign posted.
Extra people = extra wear and tear & extra liability issues. Well within his right to charge more for extra occupants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting