Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 12:25 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,968,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastflea1 View Post
§ 35.136 SERVICE ANIMALS
(F) INQUIRIES. A PUBLIC ENTITY SHALL NOT ASK ABOUT THE NATURE OR EXTENT OF A PERSON’S DISABILITY, BUT MAY MAKE TWO INQUIRIES TO DETERMINE WHETHER AN ANIMAL QUALIFIES AS A SERVICE ANIMAL. A PUBLIC ENTITY MAY ASK IF THE ANIMAL IS REQUIRED BECAUSE OF A DISABILITY AND WHAT WORK OR TASK THE ANIMAL HAS BEEN TRAINED TO PERFORM. A PUBLIC ENTITY SHALL NOT REQUIRE DOCUMENTATION, SUCH AS PROOF THAT THE ANIMAL HAS BEEN CERTIFIED, TRAINED, OR LICENSED AS A SERVICE ANIMAL. GENERALLY, A PUBLIC ENTITY MAY NOT MAKE THESE INQUIRIES ABOUT A SERVICE ANIMAL WHEN IT IS READILY APPARENT THAT AN ANIMAL IS TRAINED TO DO WORK OR PERFORM TASKS FOR AN INDIVIDUAL WITH A DISABILITY (E.G., THE DOG IS OBSERVED GUIDING AN INDIVIDUAL WHO IS BLIND OR HAS LOW VISION, PULLING A PERSON’S WHEELCHAIR, OR PROVIDING ASSISTANCE WITH STABILITY OR BALANCE TO AN INDIVIDUAL WITH AN OBSERVABLE MOBILITY DISABILITY).
Companion/ esa dogs are not allowed in public places and any dog that misbehaves, service or not, can be asked to leave

so there should be no more "problems" you have all the tools to keep animals out who dont belong in
Miss snippy, so why are you quoting service animal laws, if your is just a companion animal? Companion animals are not really service animals so why state the wrong laws?

I don't understand why you are so angry at me (or most others who respond).

Your letter from the doctor should state what the purpose of the companion animal is and this letter and question will keep coming up in public, so that's why I didn't think it is too personal to ask. Every hotel receptionist can legally expect an answer about the purpose of the animal.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-13-2017 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Edited quote for formatting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 12:29 PM

Quote:

DONT accuse me of scamming a landlord because you DONT understand the difference between service animal and companion animal.
My having a companion animal as defined by federal law has nothing to do with "scamming a landlord and making it harder for the folks who HONESTLY have need of a service dog"

Look up the facts before coming here to insult me and all others who have companion animals as defined by federal law
I found service animal laws, but not companion animal laws. Do you have a link about the companion animal federal laws you are referring to? This will clear up all the confusion here.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-13-2017 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: Edited quote formatting

Old 09-13-2017, 06:19 PM

69 posts, read 186,867 times
am quoting the rules for the nurse so she knows how to deal with people who come in with animals that is why we are here isnt it? sharing info?

Last edited by westcoastflea1; 09-13-2017 at 06:40 PM..

Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 PM

thank you yes i have

Old 09-13-2017, 06:38 PM

i asked a simple question and ended up with people who took the question and twisted into some sort of " im scamming my landlord and get letters on line"

insinuations that im trying to get out of my responsibility for damages and how my scamming hurts other people etc etc lots of comments that were from people who didnt know the facts about companion/esa and service animals but wanted to correct MY misconceptions as to what federal laws are and exactly how service dogs differ from companion/esa dogs just totally unacceptable comments including "my dog better not bite someone on the ass" really?https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html is where you can see what companion/esa animals can and cannot do that service dogs can.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:17 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:
i asked a simple question and ended up with people who took the question and twisted into some sort of " im scamming my landlord and get letters on line"

insinuations that im trying to get out of my responsibility for damages and how my scamming hurts other people etc etc lots of comments that were from people who didnt know the facts about companion/esa and service animals but wanted to correct MY misconceptions as to what federal laws are and exactly how service dogs differ from companion/esa dogs just totally unacceptable comments including "my dog better not bite someone on the ass" really?https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html is where you can see what companion/esa animals can and cannot do that service dogs can.

Feel better now?

Old 09-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:

because YOU DO NOT HAVE A SERVICE ANIMAL and therefore, it is NOT protected by the ADA. So you ARE fooling people by acting like your dog is protected. And YOUR link confirms that. So if your letter from the doctor says COMPANION animal, it isn't worth shyte.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?
A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA. However, some State or local governments have laws that allow people to take emotional support animals into public places. You may check with your State and local government agencies to find out about these laws.

Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
He has been a companion animal for years.

At the time i didn't know that i could get a letter to have him exempted from monthly pet fees and a pet deposit, or i would have taken care of it when signing the lease. Unlike service dogs you dont need certification or training for a companion animal. if an animal is a companion animal it is illegal to charge any pet deposit or monthly pet fee, since they are not considered "pets".
WRONG

Companion dog usually describes a dog that does not work, providing only companionship as a pet, rather than usefulness by doing specific tasks. Many of the toy dog breeds are used only for the pleasure of their company, not as workers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companion_dog
https://www.aspca.org/about-us/aspca...mpanion-animal

companion animal (noun) American English definition and synonyms | Macmillan Dictionary

companion animal - definition and synonyms
]
Closesingularcompanion animalpluralcompanion animals

Contribute to our Open Dictionary

1. an animal that someone keeps for company and enjoyment. The more usual word is “pet.”

Old 09-14-2017, 11:09 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
I'm trying to figure out what dog ISN'T a "companion" or "emotional support" animal. You come home from work where your boss has chewed you a new a$$hole, you got a parking ticket at lunch, the traffic snarls took you twice as long to get home as usual, and your boyfriend/girlfriend wants to break up and you walk in the door......there's a slobbering, quivering 4-legged hunk'o'love who thinks you are GOD and wants only to show how much he loves you. Is that companionable? Is that emotional supportive? Yes and yes. Do you feel better already? Oh, yes!

But all of a sudden deciding that your "pet" is a "companion/emotional support" animal doesn't make it a "service" dog and you don't get the same privileges as the owner of a "service" dog. Sorry, justify it all you want but it doesn't change the facts.

I'm really surprised that 50% of all pet owners haven't decided that their animals are "companions" or "emotional supports" but then I guess most of them have principals that would preclude that.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:18 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:

Part of the confusion is you keep using the term "companion" dog. That denotes a pet to most people. The generally accepted term is emotional support dog or emotional support animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting