Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:59 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vica View Post
And what if there already was a disability diagnosis for the last several years? If a tenant has been paying what she technically was not supposed to, why it should not be refunded? Maybe the tenant just did not know her rights because of some valid reasons (like her disability)?
The laws/regulations are that the landlord does not have to make any accommodations (including no pet fee) until they receive all the pertinent paperwork. No supporting paperwork, no obligation to accommodate.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 475 times
Why!! do people speak without fact. To the person that stated.. if you're Companion Pets bites me know I will sue your ass. Truly, was your comment helpful, necessary? Not to mention ignorant. I would safely say...with an attitude of that nature I wouldn't doubt any dog will bite your ass. Some people just really need to keep their uneducated, unfactual, not to mention non-experienced opinions to themselves. Law states...any "ESA is not to be charge" Refund is to be returned, either retro to your rent, or returned by way it was issued. What is common... is to be deducted from upcoming rent once verification has been submitted. As far as going forward for and if any documented damages occur, that would be taken from your normal security deposit. Do I have to spell the word period. Landlord , Property Management, your best friend, or your mother-in-law that you've lived with cannot withhold a deposit that's already been given for a companion ESA. This has to be refunded immediately; especially if upon applying for said apartment - management and or they're employee representing their property was alerted that the applicant has companion(s) animal. They are under obligation under disclosure law to let you know what your rights are.Any property management and or anyone working under Property Management as a representative of the owner is negligent and or remiss if they do not. Someone please try to dispute me.

Last edited by Truthspeaker44; 11-04-2018 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 11:49 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
It seems like the OP has disappeared, since the last post was over a year ago.

Old 11-05-2018, 12:46 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastflea1 View Post
and how exactly do you think a companion animal should be trained?

do you think training a dog makes him not bite? pretty sure you know absolutely nothing about dogs
ESA dogs should be trained to the same standard as a service dog - not to respond to external stimuli, not trying to interact with other dogs or people, pulling on the leash, remaining in a sit or down position until released, etc. The whole reason ESA dogs are such an issue on planes and in public is that they are NOT trained to service dog behavioral standards.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:03 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truthspeaker44 View Post
Why!! do people speak without fact. To the person that stated.. if you're Companion Pets bites me know I will sue your ass. Truly, was your comment helpful, necessary? Not to mention ignorant. I would safely say...with an attitude of that nature I wouldn't doubt any dog will bite your ass. Some people just really need to keep their uneducated, unfactual, not to mention non-experienced opinions to themselves.
One of the reasons airlines are cracking down on ESA's is because there are several cases where people have been bitten by ESA dogs, one of them being a child. Several of those cases have been discussed at length here on C-D.

Biggest difference between a service dog and an ESA dog, besides the fact that an SD is task-trained and an ESA dog is not, is that a service dog has been carefully selected based on temperament and ease of training and learning new things, most importantly how to behave properly when in public places with all sorts of stimuli, like strange people, other dogs, food smells. Whatever is in their vicinity, they have to ignore it and focus only on the person they are assisting.

Old 11-05-2018, 10:15 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
What the hell is a "companion animal" if not a "pet"? I don't know that this is even a thing.

Personally I'm happy for the push to redefine these animals out of existence and leave "service animals" alone, as the only things anyone needs to legally accommodate. The kind that actually DO SOMETHING IMPORTANT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting