U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:42 PM

41 posts, read 11,190 times

Advertisements

Apt is right above super in the back of the building and they own a Doberman which is let out inside a fenced area. The dog barks constantly, today it was over an hour while I was helping a friend move. He/she was still barking when we left. It's really uncomfortable since it's the manager that owns the dog (obviously for security purposes) but the constant barking is really becoming a nuisance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 04:15 PM

7,753 posts, read 20,258,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip flops 3878 View Post
Apt is right above super in the back of the building and they own a Doberman which is let out inside a fenced area. The dog barks constantly, today it was over an hour while I was helping a friend move. He/she was still barking when we left. It's really uncomfortable since it's the manager that owns the dog (obviously for security purposes) but the constant barking is really becoming a nuisance.
Did you have a question?

If you are asking whether you can break a lease, the answer is of course, you can always break a lease for any or no reason, but don't expect to do it without paying penalties. If penalties are not outlined in your lease, check state law. If there is nothing in either place, you are probably liable until they rerent, but most likely, they are obligated to make a reasonable effort to rerent asap.

So can you break your lease? Probably. Can you do without paying penalties? Probably not.

Common penalties are between 1 and 3 month's worth of rent.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:14 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,080,039 times
You are your 'friends' seem to have a lot of issues renting.

Perhaps you should pool your money and buy something in a rural area. Sand&Salt has a property in rural Utah for sale....

Old 09-01-2017, 06:10 PM

I myself have never lived in a rental and as for her it's been many many years hence all the questions. The dog is basically right outside her window and it seems the barking will be a problem. I thought a tenant was entitled to peace which is why I asked about breaking the lease. It also is the supers dog. this is just another of many problems she is having in this new place.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:24 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,011,385 times
Quote:
I myself have never lived in a rental and as for her it's been many many years hence all the questions. The dog is basically right outside her window and it seems the barking will be a problem. I thought a tenant was entitled to peace which is why I asked about breaking the lease. It also is the supers dog. this is just another of many problems she is having in this new place.
Has your friend called the police or animal control?

Old 09-02-2017, 04:52 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,548,988 times
Quote:
That isn't what quiet enjoyment means. If the barking is a problem at night then call the police since that is likely a noise ordinance issue. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with a barking dog.

Old 09-02-2017, 05:44 AM

Ok well then I guess she'll have to tolerate it and I was wrong. She hasn't moved in yet so don't know the situation at night, it's just during the day the barking is non stop, at least the times I've been there. Yesterday it was over an hour straight. She's first floor, super is basement so it's basically right outside her window.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 AM

23,672 posts, read 50,522,833 times
Quote:
...well then I guess she'll have to tolerate
She hasn't moved in yet...
With all the concerns your friend has been reported to have...
don't move in. Move on.

Old 09-02-2017, 06:54 AM

The lease has been signed and most hVe occurred after the fact.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:23 AM

1,750 posts, read 409,296 times
Quote:
Ok well then I guess she'll have to tolerate it and I was wrong. She hasn't moved in yet so don't know the situation at night, it's just during the day the barking is non stop, at least the times I've been there. Yesterday it was over an hour straight. She's first floor, super is basement so it's basically right outside her window.
Tell her to check the local laws. A lot of places have laws against dogs barking nonstop no matter what time of day it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting