Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 11:41 AM

385 posts, read 205,815 times

Advertisements

My son will be 28 this November and has been living on his own on and off for about ten years. Recently he contracted MRSA and lost his job and was going to be evicted from the hotel he was staying at and asked us if he could come stay with us while he healed and got another job. We hesitantly agreed but we made it clear he could not stay. That he was to have no drugs on our premises. No smoking in our house. That we could go into the room anytime we wished. He was suppose to get a p.o. box too. Well he had been involved for a short while with this swanky girl. She would come around, spend the night sometimes. We told them both that they could not stay and she said she stayed at her grandmas. This happened starting in June of this year. Well he slopped the crap out of the guest room and the house leaving my daughter and I to clean it up. He did damage to the room. He and this girl smoked in the room and they smoked meth in the room. We found quite a bit of drug paraphernalia in their room. I told them they had to leave. I have also had 3 strokes in less than five years and broke my ankle last year. I had surgery and they put in a plate and nine screws. I am still taking PT for it. My husband is out of state and works two jobs full time.

My husband called the cops and one showed up since my husband was out of town. The cop looked up warrants and my son had one so they arrested him. It was one for possession of pot that he never paid so a bench warrant was issued.

Now his crazy meth head girlfriend wants to sue us. She said we had a landlord tenant relationship---we never asked for money, we received no money. We were just trying to help our son to get better. We did not want him to die on the streets. And She wants to sue us for violating their privacy. We told him we would go in his room at any time and make sure it was drug free. Also, this girl stole a ton of my stuff and my daughters. Stuff she would have gotten from our private bedrooms. What about our rights to privacy.

I also found out that she had my 13 yo take her urine test for her job!!! And she was arrested a few weeks ago for non payment of child support at her job. She has three kids and has no custody. She does not have a drivers license and can not get one for a couple of years because of drug charges.

My husband is out of state until Monday and we have possibility of Hurricane Irma hitting where we are at.

Do we have any rights at all?

And please no lectures. Can't undo what has been done. Once this is done, we are cutting our son out of our lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 11:48 AM

He was here for about 12 weeks and he still had MRSA for about a month of that and he was weak and tired after too.

We do not own a house. We only rent. We have nothing of value. My daughter is special needs. We never asked for any money and we were never offered any.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:24 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I am sorry. Don't know what to say. Change the locks? Don't let either of them in and do not give in.

Don't worry about her suing you, she is talking out of her arse. Worry about that if it happens.

You were nice taking him in and he backstabbed you. I would text him to meet you at the police station and you hand him his stuff and he is on his own now.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:33 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Let the drug addict try to sue you but it won't go anywhere. Courts aren't likely to consider a parent giving a child a place to stay a landlord tenant arrangement but even if they do there is no penalty for violating notice to enter requirements. They would have to prove real damages as a result of the breach. Most court cases for this reason are to put an end to the violations in the future and if he isn't living there then there is no need.

Anyone can sue anyone for any reason at any time so you may have to go to court but this just seems like losers fishing for a payoff. If you do go to court leave the personal drama out of it since it will just irritate a judge for wasting his time.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:02 PM

1,462 posts, read 973,293 times
As mentioned, change the locks. The druggy is talking to try to scare you. I would bet she will not follow through. if either try to get into your house, call the police and have them arrested. Do not let them back in your property. Sad that you have to do this, but meth is evil and will make people do anything for another fix.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:37 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
Tell druggie girl to pound sand .. go get a OoP against the two of them and of course inform the police she is trying to blackmail you

as for the courts .. they MIGHT side with your son's ( but not hers ) claim as a tenant but .. since you don't own the place I would give LL notice and move .. you cant be forced to take him/them with you ..
your job is to protect your younger kids and if that means lease breaking and a move so be it .

Old 09-08-2017, 07:24 PM

We lease month to month. I never gave him any keys. He says he just wants his stuff. She is the one running her mouth. Telling us we are selfish, heartless, ungrateful savages. That karma is going to get us back. Wow. Giving a person a place to stay rent free and utilities free and allowing him our car during bad weather is being a heartless, selfish, ungrateful savage. My husband warned me not to let him back in. He just had no where else to go and his MRSA was horrible. It was the size of a golf ball in his abdomen. He could not even stand at times. I promised my husband never again. I pray so hard for my son. Thank you for the advice and condolences.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 PM

503 posts, read 1,454,869 times
If you see her again, threaten her with turning her in for drugs.

Sorry about your son.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:31 PM

27 posts, read 13,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
Tell druggie girl to pound sand .. go get a OoP against the two of them and of course inform the police she is trying to blackmail you

as for the courts .. they MIGHT side with your son's ( but not hers ) claim as a tenant but .. since you don't own the place I would give LL notice and move .. you cant be forced to take him/them with you ..
your job is to protect your younger kids and if that means lease breaking and a move so be it .
I agree. There is nothing more frightening than having some crazy person break into your home. It's frightening enough as an adult, but way more terrifying for a child.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,871,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enduringwone View Post
Well he had been involved for a short while with this swanky girl. .
She sounds more "skanky" than "swanky". This just shows you that no good deed goes unpunished. You tried to help your son and he repaid you with trouble.

You have nothing "legal" to worry about with the girlfriend. As for your son, cut ties. You did all you could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting