U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 06:04 PM

4,926 posts, read 9,569,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyg View Post
We are renting a very expensive home that is currently for sale....
I've been managing and selling homes since 1990, so I'm very familiar, from the listing agent point of view, with the issues that come up when trying to sell a tenant-occupied home.

My first suggestion is to become familiar immediately with the landlord/tenant laws in your state. There is probably a Tenant's Council or something similar that offers free help and advice. Before calling them, make sure you have in your hand a copy of your lease agreement and any written correspondence between you and your landlord.

The first thing I'd ask them is if the landlord has the right to place a lockbox on the property. In Texas, the tenant has to grant permission for a lockbox, which is done in the lease, but the tenant can also rescind the permission for a fee. This means all showings have to be by appointment with the listing agent who would have the key, or by appointment with you, which will cut down on the randomness of showings.

The next thing I'd put into writing to your landlord and the listing agent is a written complaint along with a proposed solution. The solution could be pre-scheduled windows of time during which showings will be allowed and not allowed. I've found that this is the single most productive tool in resolving the frustration of tenants. I don't like to do it, but sometimes we'll even state in the listing "no showings on Sunday" if the tenant will allow us unrestricted Saturday showings. We need at least one weekend to accommodate out of town buyers. A common comprimise for working tenants is "Show 9-5 M-F, Sat/Sun 12-5PM only".

It will be best to try to work it out amicably that to become hostile. I'm a landlord and Realtor but I also respect tenant's privacy and understand what a hassle it is living in a home on the market. That said, we have to be able to show a home and have the right to do so. Typically though, if the tenant is being trampled with lots of showings, the home sells very quickly. There are usually more showings the first week or two than after. Often, there is in fact a showing a week or less, which for most people isn't a problem.

I'm rambling. Good luck.
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 PM

3,681 posts, read 10,544,882 times
don't they have set rules-like you have a contract-and pay mega money! squeak-
also contact the town, they do need to give you time- and request when it is o k for you!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:43 PM

5 posts, read 18,906 times
have you heard anything back on this, this is what I am asking as well.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:18 PM

15,457 posts, read 20,242,535 times
if you get that much traffic it should soon be off the market...having said that I feel for you but I don't think you have much you can do other than try to reason with your LL and try to get an agreement what is acceptable and what isn't....Good Luck, I hope it sells fast.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 PM
JS1

1,899 posts, read 3,906,015 times
If the landlord won't budge (agree to a schedule of showings, or reduce the rent), one thing you can do that doesn't violate the lease and will cut down the number of real estate agents barging in on you is to be a slob. Don't clean, wear just underwear, and put the TV on real loud playing Jerry Springer. Turn the AC on real cold if it's warm outside or turn up the heat to blasting if it's chilly. Don't flush the toilet every time.

Would you rather put up with people invading your privacy for the next four months or be a slob for a week or two and enjoy peace and quiet for the next three and a half months?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM

3,080 posts, read 5,610,685 times
You knew the rules of the game when you signed the lease. Just because you deluded yourself into thinking it would be worthwhile is not their problem.

Now, with the disclaimer out of the way this is what I would do in your situation.

1.) Ask them to restrict showing times and provide notice of showings

2.) Ask for compensation whenever a realtor does not abide by the agreed showing rules

3.) Ask for brokering agents to personally conduct all showings with selling agents

4.) Ask to remove lockbox

When the selling broker tries to reject all of these out of hand, remind them that there are much worse things that can happen during a showing than a surprise naked person in the bedroom. There could be a screaming lunatic in a bathrobe following the prospective buyers around asking them if they can smell anything in the carpet or if they are afraid of mice. You might mention that you might agree to babysit a friends pet boa for a few days now and then, they almost never get out of their cases, right?

In short, you can find ways to make their life difficult without breaking the terms of your lease if they cannot find ways to sell the house without making your life hell.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 10,302 times
How many hours in advance dose a buyer or realtor need to give a tenent? Anyone know what the law states? House went up for sale after two/half yrs living here.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM

914 posts, read 2,339,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poowoman View Post
How many hours in advance dose a buyer or realtor need to give a tenent? Anyone know what the law states? House went up for sale after two/half yrs living here.
They should be giving proper notice of entry as defined by your state (so, for many states, 24 hours), though I know from friends who have rented homes for sale that this can be a problem.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 AM

4,926 posts, read 9,569,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poowoman View Post
What does your lease agreement say? Your answer is there.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:42 PM

953 posts, read 2,496,871 times
State law in Washington requires 24 hours notice to the tenant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting