Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 05:00 AM

215 posts, read 1,660,315 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about certain aspects of general law when it comes to two people who are renting. I know it can take a month or two to evict someone. What if, for example, you are a tenant, and another tenant is being evicted because he is being too loud. Despite the eviction proceedings he continues to blast loud music at night. What rights would you have? What if one tenant attacks or threatens another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 05:02 AM

Default Real Estate agent to find a rental.

oops. delete

Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 AM

601 posts, read 1,903,973 times
CALL THE COPS.... this problem your having has nothing to do with the landlord. He seems to be trying his best by evicting them.

Old 03-17-2008, 04:51 PM

but what can they do?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:50 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjbor View Post
but what can they do?
There are criminal laws against threatening people, and disturbing the peace. The police can take the same action they would if you lived in a house and your next-door neighbor blasted loud music or threatened you.

A word of caution: It's possible the police may view it as strictly a civil matter since it's all within one residence. I once had a bad time with one of the worst landlords in history, who broke some criminal laws in addition to violating numerous civil laws. The police were unwilling to get involved regarding the criminal issues. They said this was simply a landlord-tenant dispute and I should get a lawyer. It's important to keep in mind, though, that the town where this happened had one of those really bad police forces, the kind with a lot of corruption, and little interest by the police in doing much of anything to help citizens in need. Maybe your luck will be better where you live. In any case, the police are a place to start.

If money isn't too much of an object, you might want to talk with a lawyer about how best to handle this. Laws differ in each state, but with or without a lawyer's help one option may be for you to go to court and seek a restraining order against the other tenant. Again, laws vary, but it's very possilbe that if the other tenant has threatened you the judge could order him out of the apartment immediately, as the consequence of a restraining order requiring him to keep his distance from you.

Tough situation, and I hope the suggestions people make here can help. Best of luck.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:55 PM

I've not faced this myself, but I work in an condo (apartment building) and have seen much of it. I plan to move into an apartment building sometime soon and would like to be ready.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
You assualt someone you go to jail. No matter what/where.
In my lease its automatic eviction if the police are summoned to the place.
If for just being loud. 3 warnings...then 30 days to officially get kicked out. Laws are you get 3 warnings and then a fine. After so many fines you get arrested. Not sure of the number on that one.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,381,340 times
That's right. Laws pertain to everybody (except rich celebrities). If the police won't respond, get names and report them to their superiors. The landlord could try to put a TRO (Temporary Restraining Order) on the person, considering him a threat and making it impossible for him to enter the property, even though he lives there. I evicted a girl who's rich father came to terrorize the place in retaliation. I had to stand up to him, stare him down, and tell him I know everybody, and he is on my turf. One more word and I'll bury him under the jail. He left quietly.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:13 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,679,104 times
When I first moved into an apartment, I was on the 3rd floor and I didn't have any furniture. I placed my alarm clock on the floor and it was set for 10:30a (I had 11am class). Anyway, apparently, it was louder downstairs than it was in my apartment, because one day, my downstairs neighbor storming up and pounded on my door. When I answered it (half asleep), he started beating the **** out of me. I had a broken nose and bloody face. I called the cops and they wouldn't do anything. I soon moved out of the place.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
LOL...Oh my...Now thats a "wake-up call"

So what mental unit did they cart him off to?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting