Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 08:08 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,375,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
F--K NO!

I've been reading this stuff for 16 years and every time somebody does that, they get screwed.

Go there, inspect the place personally, make sure it's turnkey by YOUR standards. You're the one going to live there, not your sister.

If the place checks out OK, THEN you sign the lease and pay. Just make sure you keep a copy of the lease when you sign it and make sure the landlord's signature is on it, too. None of this "I'll send you a copy" business. Use your camera phone if there is no other way to copy it.
The sister already checked the place. It's not a completely blind transaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Advice needed: I found a great apartment and just got approved from the owner. I live in Fl. and the apt. is in Va. he wants me to send him the funds of one month as a depsoit then he will send me the lease. Would you do this? My sister met him and toured the apt with him and after googling his name he checks out as a realtor and is the private owner of the apt building. Would you wire the money or do you think its safer to have my sister meet him with the check? Thoughts? Thanks!!
About 6 years ago I held a place for a guy (out of state) and he never sent the lease never called. I didn't take a non refundable deposit or any deposit. I lost a good local tenant who applied but I was holding it for the out of stater. By the time I got back to the local applicant he already found a place.

My new rule pretty much went to the default if I take a deposit it's nonrefundable now.

I have no issue showing a lease etc. my thing is that I'm not going to lose a tenant if someone backs out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 AM

7,023 posts, read 6,254,979 times
Every place I called about in making the decision between Arizona & Tennessee required that I view the apartment & give a check for the $35 & a holding fee. That ensures the landlord knows you are committed.

I ended up choosing Arizona due to my allergies.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:32 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,608,179 times
Thanks for the replies! My sister works nearby to the unit and face timed me during her tour (it was an open house) and she also took a video for me. The apartment is in the exact location that I wanted to be in and was a nice looking updated apartment in an older building. It also has a garage and outdoor space which was a big want for me. I know it may sound strange to some because I haven't actually seen it in person but being that I am far away and it is in the neighborhood I wanted to be in I felt comfortable moving forward with it. It also accepts pets and does not charge a pet fee (most of the others either dont accept or charges a large deposit and monthly pet fee). I have discovered he is a licensed realtor and works for a local real estate company plus has dealings with a local construction company. He also has multiple listings on the MLS with his name and business attached to them. I also went to the city website and typed in the address for the apartment and the owner comes back to the construction company he is associated with. During our last phone call he stated he is the point of contact from here on out if I ever had any maintenance issues ect. I feel like its legit due to the information I uncovered online but I still have not received a lease from him yet even thought I have even asked for it over email and on the phone. I sent his money and he received it Friday. How long should I give it before pressing it again? I understand my lease doesn't start until December 15th so its a while away and he probably has other transactions to deal with that are closer in time so maybe he is just not a hurry for my lease yet? I am kind of worried but at the same time I feel like its legit. How should I go on with this now that he has my deposit money?

Old 10-28-2017, 12:47 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,678,089 times
So, why in the world would you just go ahead and send the money when many here told you not to until you had a chance to review the lease, agree to the terms and get it signed? That makes absolutely zero sense! Plus, you don't even know the terms of the money you paid. Was it for sure a security deposit or a holding deposit? It may not even be refundable.

You don't have much choice now except to continue to bug him for a lease to read the terms and get it signed. What else can you expect? Sure, he may have told you that you could have pets and there is not deposit or extra rent to have one, etc, etc, etc however you did not see that in writing. That is why it is important to get things in writing and signed before you make any commitments and send or hand over money blindly like that.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
So, why in the world would you just go ahead and send the money when many here told you not to until you had a chance to review the lease, agree to the terms and get it signed? That makes absolutely zero sense! Plus, you don't even know the terms of the money you paid. Was it for sure a security deposit or a holding deposit? It may not even be refundable.

You don't have much choice now except to continue to bug him for a lease to read the terms and get it signed. What else can you expect? Sure, he may have told you that you could have pets and there is not deposit or extra rent to have one, etc, etc, etc however you did not see that in writing. That is why it is important to get things in writing and signed before you make any commitments and send or hand over money blindly like that.
I understand and I share your concerns its just tough when your far away and trying to find a place. I feel like he was protecting himself in this situation as he may have been burned the past. I guess its a wait and see situation now.

I'll keep you all posted.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:34 PM

32,559 posts, read 47,718,582 times
He received the money on friday. He has to go to the post office on Monday and mail an oversized envelope to you. I don't know about the post office where you are, but mail where I am can take 3-4 days just to go across town. The manilla envelopes take twice as long.

You know he received your money, how? Did he contact you to let you know he received it? If so, he is doing what he should be doing and you have checked him out. Relax a little bit, give it a couple more days.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
He received the money on friday. He has to go to the post office on Monday and mail an oversized envelope to you. I don't know about the post office where you are, but mail where I am can take 3-4 days just to go across town. The manilla envelopes take twice as long.

You know he received your money, how? Did he contact you to let you know he received it? If so, he is doing what he should be doing and you have checked him out. Relax a little bit, give it a couple more days.
He will be emailing the lease and I will print it, sign it, then fax/send it back. He messaged me today saying the money is still pending, even though it was taken out of my account (which is why I figured he received it).

Old 11-02-2017, 02:05 PM

Default whats the next step

So.. heres an update:

It took my deposit payment 5 business days to clear on paypal. The new landlord emailed to me to let me know it was approved and in his account but yet he still hasn't offered to send me a lease yet. I have done some background research on him and I know he is legit. He is a real estate agent with multiple listings on the MLS and also has his name attached to a construction company. My sister said his picture on the realestate website matches that of him. I looked up the apartment address and it is owned by the company he works for. My question is now that I know he is legit what is taking so long to get the lease? Am I just expecting it too fast? I dont move in until December 15th.. is he waiting until then? I dont want to be a pain but I am a bit confused on what to do next should I press the subject of the lease on him? I would just feel a lot better if I had the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting