U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:11 PM

10,135 posts, read 24,728,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Why would d a landlord want to wall off a bedroom and lower the rent to the much lower one bedroom rate? The tenant can't wall off the bedroom himself and stay there because tenants aren't allowed to do that sort of modification and the landlord would still have to agree to accept the lower rent.

Section 8 tenants are begging for places that accept their voucher. If a landlord wants a different tenant that qualifies for a 2 bedroom voucher, the landlord has his choice of many.

No snow is in senior housing? I don't know how a senior would qualify for a 2 bedroom if that requires 4 people. From the taxpayer point of view, I'm fine with not providing lots of extra space for welfare recipients.
My project based Section 8 got $758 for a one bedroom. $781 for two bedrooms. A two bedroom unit can house two unrelated adults and minor children. So, I can have a little old lady who sits at home all day in front of the telly, or two people with 5 children between them gobbling up utilities (which I pay for) and destroying an apartment, and getting the police called every other week for $23 per month. I think I know what I am doing.

You are utterly wrong about Section 8 vouchers. There aren't any. You can't even get on the list most places. They opened up the list here just this year and it is a 2 1/2 year wait for a voucher. Anyone with a voucher can find a unit. There just aren't any vouchers. You have it exactly wrong.

What the heck is "No snow is in senior housing?"
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 26,586,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Because Section 8 vouchers are distributed on the basis of income and not through any system that could be regarded as merit-based, i.e. Section 8 makes no distinction between the working poor - say, the Kramdens - and the underclass bum who never worked a day in his or her life.

Also, a large swath of the urban underclass is highly networked - they are often recognizable by their high-frequency use of Obamaphones and/or iPhones - and when an open Section 8 wait list (or pretty much any handout) is announced, the news goes viral within the underclass and they all sign up quickly. (Another reason the underclass is overrepresented among Section 8 recipients.)
Look at that logically. If they are so enmeshed into the system, why would they have to apply for Section 8. Wouldn't they already have it?

When I went to the orientation for Section 8 recipients in Santa Clara County (Ebay, Yahoo, Stanford County), they said that a family with an income of $80,000 would actually qualify for Section 8 in this county. Now, they probably wouldn't get a very big subsidy, as we're required to pay 32% of our income towards rent. But, it just goes to show the cost of living here, if $80,000 is the cut off for income to qualify for Section 8 housing.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
My project based Section 8 got $758 for a one bedroom. $781 for two bedrooms. A two bedroom unit can house two unrelated adults and minor children. So, I can have a little old lady who sits at home all day in front of the telly, or two people with 5 children between them gobbling up utilities (which I pay for) and destroying an apartment, and getting the police called every other week for $23 per month. I think I know what I am doing.

You are utterly wrong about Section 8 vouchers. There aren't any. You can't even get on the list most places. They opened up the list here just this year and it is a 2 1/2 year wait for a voucher. Anyone with a voucher can find a unit. There just aren't any vouchers. You have it exactly wrong.

I think Oregonwoodsmoke was referring to me, as "no snow."

What I had to do to get my section 8 voucher in Silicon Valley, was move to the boonies where the list was open, and live there until I got a section 8 voucher. In the meantime, get on waiting lists for subsidized senior housing here in Silicon Valley. Eventually, I got the voucher, then got to the top of a waiting list, and was able to "port" my voucher back here. The Section 8 waiting lists are closed here, but if you can find a landlord who will take a Section 8 voucher, you can port your voucher back here and get into housing.

Actually, you can port it back here even before you find new housing, and they'll keep extending your voucher, but in the meantime, you have to be a resident - and most Section 8 recipients can't live here while waiting.

There's a way to do it, but it requires lots of patience and the willingness to move away. It took me 3 1/2 years of moving away, until I could get back. You also have to find a way to pay to move back, and come up with the full market rent deposit back here, which is insanely expensive. One month's rent is common here and even though this is a subsidized senior building, I had to come up with almost $1300 for my security deposit.

As far as the reference to being able to have a bigger apartment than your voucher will pay for - you can pay out of pocket if you can afford it - but - you are also regulated as to how much of your income can be used even for that. I think your total outlay for rent can only be 40% total of your income, but don't hold me to that.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Why would d a landlord want to wall off a bedroom and lower the rent to the much lower one bedroom rate? The tenant can't wall off the bedroom himself and stay there because tenants aren't allowed to do that sort of modification and the landlord would still have to agree to accept the lower rent.

Section 8 tenants are begging for places that accept their voucher. If a landlord wants a different tenant that qualifies for a 2 bedroom voucher, the landlord has his choice of many.

No snow is in senior housing? I don't know how a senior would qualify for a 2 bedroom if that requires 4 people. From the taxpayer point of view, I'm fine with not providing lots of extra space for welfare recipients.
If you mean me, yes, I'm in senior housing. How a senior would qualify for a 2 bedroom - that could happen if the rent for the 2 bedroom fell within the same rent amount allowed for a 1 bedroom. For instance, let's say the max the housing authority would pay for a 1 bedroom is $1,000, and you find a 2 bedroom for $1,000, you can get the 2 bedroom. It's about the maximum amount of rent. Forgetting the term right now.

But, you couldn't move anyone else in, either. The voucher covers a certain number of people, and if your household changes, you have to qualify all new household members, etc.

So, for me, for instance, in this scenario where I found a 2 bedroom for the cost allowed for a 1 bedroom, I could make it a guest room where visitors could come, under timeframes allowed for visitors, but they couldn't move in without having to be vetted, and the household reassessed as far as income and qualifying etc.

If you try to get around those rules, you could lose your voucher and have to pay money back, etc. And in housing like I'm in, which is subsidized by the city/county/state and the feds, I can tell you, I've got the government all up in my business every which way. It's okay, though. It's part of the deal, and I'm not trying to pull anything. But, there are rules upon rules in my situation. And plenty of neighbors who would rat anyone out in a heartbeat lol.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:37 PM

625 posts, read 469,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
You’ve made the choice not to fix it.
I had that happen to me in 2010 when I was going through a divorce. But I made the effort in 2014/2015 to repay everything. I either paid everything off in full or got pay off amount. So I now have no adverse charges of delinquent accounts on my credit. It is fixable.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
If I were a landlord, I'd own "studio" properties - families are unlikely to even apply.

Since I have terrible and unfixable credit, I expect that if I live long enough, one day I will be over 65...with terrible and unfixable credit. So much for your theory.

Even so, my terrible and unfixable credit has not impaired my ability to pay rent on time. So much for your theory.
My practice (not a theory) is that a person must not have any adverse credit items in the past five years. Many people have awful credit but no recent items. Those people are called "old people." I rent to them.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 AM

33,031 posts, read 24,034,956 times
Quote:
My practice (not a theory) is that a person must not have any adverse credit items in the past five years. Many people have awful credit but no recent items. Those people are called "old people." I rent to them.

I have two 15-year-old judgments on my credit report, hence terrible and unfixable credit. Since most landlords make decisions based on credit score, I figure I'm doomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
You’ve made the choice not to fix it.

SO....in what just universe is someone better off renouncing their debt through bankruptcy than hoping to one day pay it off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC;5[LIST
[/list]0045067]Right? How is it that a credit report is "unfixable". That's impossible.

Some items NEVER fall off a credit report until paid off...low income + "items that never fall off a credit report until paid off" = unfixable.

My income is sufficient to pay current bills on time OR to resolve old debt, but NOT both. If a person has to CHOOSE one of the above, which would you choose?

Quote:

Where I live, the waiting list is closed about 99.6 percent of the time. (259 of 260 weeks)

When the expected wait time gets down to 12 months, a one-week "open" period is announced where people can sign up for a Section 8 lottery.

This lottery is NOT for vouchers, it is for A SPOT ON THE WAITING LIST. People who "win" this lottery are added to the waiting list - and then can expect to wait up to five years to receive a voucher.

Losers must wait another five years for their next opportunity to participate in a Section 8 lottery.

p.s. the reference above is to a poster here called No Snow.

Last edited by Marka; 11-20-2017 at 02:03 AM..

Old 11-07-2017, 09:38 AM

420 posts, read 299,363 times
Quote:
Some items NEVER fall off a credit report until paid off...low income + "items that never fall off a credit report until paid off" = unfixable.

My income is sufficient to pay current bills on time OR to resolve old debt, but NOT both. If a person has to CHOOSE one of the above, which would you choose?
Which is precisely why bankruptcy was invented. Cleaning up your credit will allow you to get a better job, better housing and actually become a contributing member of society - as opposed to hoarding skin mags in a basement.

How are those eBay listings going?

Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,997,132 times
There are landlords that make it work. But the general advice is not to do it.

Actually, I'd like to hear from LL's that successfully negotiate the Sec 8 system in the current environment. Just curious as to how its done.

Old 11-07-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I have two 15-year-old judgments on my credit report, hence terrible and unfixable credit. Since most landlords make decisions based on credit score, I figure I'm doomed.

It is illegal to report anything older than 7 years.

15 U.S.C. § 1681c(a)(5).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting