Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 12:30 AM

1,663 posts, read 1,568,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Some people are irrational - they live in poverty in Silicon Valley instead of moving a hundred miles away where rent is much lower.

The county housing authority should offer bus tickets and 2 months of all-expenses-paid in a motel for those willing to leave Silicon Valley permanently.
Uh. Jobs.

Also. Jobs.

And what does shipping people out do? So glad I don’t live in that world anymore. The NIMBYism is insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 10:04 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,475,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Coming across this post amazes me , people in their 20s and 30s with pages of charge off should not be rewarded with section 8 vouchers.

It's crazy to think there are real people like this who exist. I guess when folks are happy with welfare/handouts, there's no incentive to take care of their credit to actually get something nice for themselves one day.
I've come across assisted tenants that have destroyed their kids credit... they apply for Utilities in the minor child's name and then move leaving a balance... it goes to collections and I get the calls as the owner/manager of the property...

I wish I could say it was isolated... feel sorry for the child if their own parent would do this to them.

Another switched the gender of the birth certificate to get a 3 bedroom voucher and it only came to light years later...

There are plenty that have learned how to game the system...

Old 05-03-2018, 03:03 PM

13,652 posts, read 12,307,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
They don’t have to. It’s a stupid talking point when people come on here and say “ most” or “ the majority” of section 8 tenants are bad or scum or whatever the particulr terminology used is.

Bottom line, it’s people who are mad they got burned by not properly vetting tenants. The LL didn’t get screwed because section 8 tenants are dirty, scum etc, they got screwed because they, for one reason or another, didn’t properly vet the tenant.

Ultimtely it’s easier to just blame the system or people when in reality the LL either chose to ignore warning signs in favor of a guaranteed rent check, or failed to do their homework.
I (sort of) agree. The ones that kvetch the loudest about section 8 tenants are the ones that were greedy in the first place, the ones that took the guaranteed check over vetting tenants, the one that had properties "more desireable" tenants wouldn't accept.

The tenants are partly to blame, but so is the program...

It shouldn't be at all surprising that landlords have more "difficult" tenants as the Section 8 crowd invariably comes with problems associated with poverty at times. And, when the program made things difficult for Landlords, those that didn't have to take them, didn't. And with those LL's out of the market, which LL's were left?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Ok, fair enough. But, what about public housing? What about low income housing? Were those tenants poorly vetted? Every public housing project or low income apt complex I've ever seen looks like hell. They look like hell because the tenants pay little to no rent and don't give a damn about what they don't own. Same for sec 8ers...yeah, you fill one or two out of a hundred who are decent people who take care of their place, but the fact is the majority of those who pay little to no rent, with zero vested interest in the property, do not take care of the property.
Really? I see a few that look awful but most of the time its little to do with tenants directly. Often as not they are just as clean, etc, as private rentals, sometimes more so. Cars are older in the parking lot, but lots clean, lawns mowed, no garbage all over...The notable exception is a few places that are mostly shut down in Chicago.

Privately owned places (at least in most places I've lived) that cater to the lower income groups seem to be the worst IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I never knew that, now I know why there is a fridge outside that home under a carport of that section 8 rental home. I can't imagine it's not going to be worthless and useless being outside in Florida heat. But I guess it's better to have an old fridge go bad than have to replace it for them. I think some other LL just supply the stove and fridge because they can always be used refurbished appliances cheap and it's more trouble to remove them.
What's so odd about a second refrigerator? Anyhow, in the handful of different locations I've rented they would never fill a vacancy without providing appliances...So its interesting, a regional thing for sure.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,669,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post

What's so odd about a second refrigerator?
It's sitting outside of the home turned off in Florida heat with the doors closed. I don't know the mold growth potential but I would guess it's not good.

Old 05-03-2018, 03:54 PM

13,652 posts, read 12,307,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
It's sitting outside of the home turned off in Florida heat with the doors closed. I don't know the mold growth potential but I would guess it's not good.
How do you know it was turned off?

Old 05-04-2018, 03:53 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,011,165 times
Honestly, based on the number of houses people "own" that I've seen falling apart over the years, as well as just difficult to be around people, I'd sadly say almost everyone is a "risk" of some sort, and Section 8 are, not surprisingly, more so. Point being is that it is astounding just how much it seems to take just to find people of any income bracket who won't either trash a place or let it fall apart, and that's true even if they are homeowners! Ugh.

Old 05-07-2018, 09:27 AM

784 posts, read 722,113 times
Just put in a credit score requirement of 625+ and they will not be a problem. The fact that someone is on a program should not make any difference to you.

If you do not know how to screen tenants, all tenants are high risk.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:11 PM

32,539 posts, read 47,619,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREin2016 View Post
Just put in a credit score requirement of 625+ and they will not be a problem. The fact that someone is on a program should not make any difference to you.

If you do not know how to screen tenants, all tenants are high risk.

Even if you do know how to screen tenants, all tenants are a risk. Even the FBI, with all of their resources, occassionally makes mistakes with their screening. Half of my applicants are lying on their application. Some lies are easy to catch, some not so much. There is always the risk of missing something in the screening process. With a new tenant I don't start to relax until after they have been there for a few months and are behaving well.

Low income tenants living on welfare tend to be very obvious about the risks involved.

I don't find the credit score all by itself to have much value for screening. What's on the credit report itself is useful, but not everything needed to know about an applicant before making a decision.

Old 05-07-2018, 12:35 PM

50,112 posts, read 46,715,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Honestly, based on the number of houses people "own" that I've seen falling apart over the years, as well as just difficult to be around people, I'd sadly say almost everyone is a "risk" of some sort, and Section 8 are, not surprisingly, more so. Point being is that it is astounding just how much it seems to take just to find people of any income bracket who won't either trash a place or let it fall apart, and that's true even if they are homeowners! Ugh.
They are putting a S8 near where my mom lives. That hood is not happy about it. Especially the local merchants that know the shoplifting, robberies and vandalism is going to skyrocket like it did near the one off Balboa Ave.

Old 05-07-2018, 01:36 PM

13,094 posts, read 20,801,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They are putting a S8 near where my mom lives. That hood is not happy about it. Especially the local merchants that know the shoplifting, robberies and vandalism is going to skyrocket like it did near the one off Balboa Ave.
So put the pressure on the landlord not to use Section 8. If the neighborhood is good, they should have no problems renting fair market. Usually all it takes if for the other property owners to confront this owner and let their feelings be known. But, if the people are wimpy cry babies who complain in their closets, they deserve what they get!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting