Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 01:52 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
OK, fair enough. The girl below me broke her lease to move out because of the mice. But that was probably ridiculous too.
Broke a lease? Or didn't renew? I can't imagine a court would allow her to break a lease penalty-free without some extenuating circumstances.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I don't think it's ridiculous at all because seeing mice in your apartment is nasty. I didn't renew my lease because of a mice issue because I had no interest in setting mice traps. It's a good feeling now to live in a apartment where I don't have to worry about seeing mice due to daily pest control by the rental office. When you are paying rent every month there are some things that are just unacceptable and mice is number one on the list.
Are you talking about a full bore infestation, or a few mice that are leaving evidence of their purloined food in the pantry?

Mice ARE nasty, and I've never heard of anything that prevents them other than common sense housekeeping. Its fine if you want to move for that but their daily pest control, while good for things like bugs, isn't doing squat for mice. Nothing except not keeping food in your house will keep mice away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 02:12 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Broke a lease? Or didn't renew? I can't imagine a court would allow her to break a lease penalty-free without some extenuating circumstances.

Are you talking about a full bore infestation, or a few mice that are leaving evidence of their purloined food in the pantry?

Mice ARE nasty, and I've never heard of anything that prevents them other than common sense housekeeping. Its fine if you want to move for that but their daily pest control, while good for things like bugs, isn't doing squat for mice. Nothing except not keeping food in your house will keep mice away.
It has to be doing something for mice because I never see any running around inside the apartment. The main reason is probably because everyone takes their trash outside to the dumpster instead of the basement of the building. There was also a time I left a bag of food sitting out in the kitchen by a accident when I left for work and when I came home the bag looked the same without being torn by mice.

Old 11-20-2017, 02:39 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:

Broke her lease. She left yesterday. I don't know what the penalty will be.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:30 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
It has to be doing something for mice because I never see any running around inside the apartment. The main reason is probably because everyone takes their trash outside to the dumpster instead of the basement of the building. There was also a time I left a bag of food sitting out in the kitchen by a accident when I left for work and when I came home the bag looked the same without being torn by mice.
I've never seen them running around except for once. Most of the time it was just evidence (nest or droppings) that they were there, and I set traps. Again, an infestation is different than some critters getting cold and coming in for food and warmth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
Broke her lease. She left yesterday. I don't know what the penalty will be.
That seems like a horrible waste of time, effort, probably money on her part! Moving is such a royal PIA, finding a new apartment, applying, deposits, moving, move-out cleaning, unpacking, utilities changeover, why do it for a couple mice? What will she do when she owns a home? Sell it on first sight of a rodent?

Old 11-20-2017, 03:45 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
I've never seen them running around except for once. Most of the time it was just evidence (nest or droppings) that they were there, and I set traps. Again, an infestation is different than some critters getting cold and coming in for food and warmth.

That seems like a horrible waste of time, effort, probably money on her part! Moving is such a royal PIA, finding a new apartment, applying, deposits, moving, move-out cleaning, unpacking, utilities changeover, why do it for a couple mice? What will she do when she owns a home? Sell it on first sight of a rodent?
We may not know the whole mice story like she could have seen one in her bed like I did years ago which is enough to make anyone relocate.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:37 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
OP...One thing that you can do to keep them from coming into/or staying in your home is take cotton balls....on them put aromatic oil.....either lemon grass, clove, eucalyptus or peppermint(really strong smell). Distribute these cotton balls in several areas in your apartment. Sounds lie you should make sure to put a couple near anywhere you think they might come in.

How this works is that mice rely on their sense of smell to find food...the aromatic oils are strong smelling, so the mice can't smell food....they leave.

I found peppermint was too strong of a smell for me in my living space....I used those in my basement. But the others are nice smelling imo....I put them throughout my home.....including near my doorways, under my sinks, in my cupboards, under stove and frig.

Since you have a concern that you may already have a mouse....buy a few of those traps that are totally enclosed so that you do not have to see them or be exposed to them at all when you throw the trap away.

Hope this helps. Update us.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:17 AM

666 posts, read 642,850 times
Quote:
That's sounds lazy and nasty and you should contact the rental office should they can enforce that rule. There is no reason for a person to have trash sitting outside their door when they can walk outside and put it in the dumpster.
Just what I was going to reply. We've had to call twice this year on a nasty neighbor that likes to let their trash sit outside for days at a time, stinky bags piled up on their steps.

None of your concerns are "ridiculous", btw, OP. Mice in an apartment is not normal.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:30 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Infestations are a violation of the warranty of habitability, and if a landlord doesn't do anything about it, that is a violation of the duty of repair. Mice destroy property and carry diseases.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:14 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,411,905 times
Can you get a cat?

Old 11-21-2017, 09:47 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Well, she said she was moving in with her boyfriend, although she also said she thought it might be too soon for her to be doing that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting