U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 12:41 PM

21,526 posts, read 16,161,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Our lease expires in June. The landlord has been asking me if we plan to renew. We're not nuts about this place at all but there are few to no rentals in this town. We had to sell our house last year to sidestep financial disaster and we fell into this rental. Initially we thought we'd be relocating out of state but it didn't happen. Now my oldest will be graduating next year so we're not moving him. It's possible we might have another shot at a relo but it would be my husband and the other two kids with me moving Jan/Feb of '09 and leaving my oldest wtih neighbors to finish out HS.

Ok, so what does this have to do with renting? Well, if we all stay here as a family, even though we're not nuts about the place, I suppose we'll renew. If it's just the HS senior and me, all we need is a 2 bed place, not a house this big. So I've been dodging the question.

When do we absolutely owe our landlord some answer?
Any complex I have ever lived in (in 2 different states) you have to commit before 60 days of the end of your lease or your apartment goes on the block.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 01:27 PM

8 posts, read 36,644 times
I live in Ohio. My lease was up for renewal on May 1st. My landlord did not contact me to renew my lease until today July 2nd. I am wondering since I have paid my rent for the past 3 months without a lease (they have cashed the checks), am I now on a month to month lease? In our original lease it states that the manageress has to supply a lease renewal agreement 45 days prior to the May 1st date to inquire my intentions. If I sign the new lease agreement, I am bound to July of 2010. We are currently looking for a new home, and would like to stay on a month -to-month. We can have a month -to -month lease, but it will add 100.00 to our monthly rent. We are wondering if due to the management not inquiring about our lease on the original date, can they now make us sign a 1 year lease? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:30 AM

15,048 posts, read 18,928,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula Lynn View Post
You signed the lease when you moved in and both parties are aware of the expiration date. So, you can just move out on that day. But, common courtesy is to contact your landlord and either tell him/her that you will not be renewing the lease and will be vacating on the expiration date, or you would prefer to go month-to-month, or you're willing to sign a new lease. Put all this in writing.

In actuality you gave notice to move on the day you moved in.
Careful saying this since you haven't seen the terms of the contract. It could be that in the contract there is beside the expire date also a date before the tenant has to let the LL know if he is staying after the experation date or not. If the tenant doesn't give notice on time the contract is already going months to month or for an additional year...that is all up to how the contract is written and every lease contract can be different.

My contracts have a notice date other wise they will be month to month and the rental price might chance than if it is a long term lease.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 AM

2,721 posts, read 2,833,153 times
I know that even if I had a lease term lets say till July 30 I still had to give 30 days notice in writing. So you may want to do that if you are not going to stay on just to be safe. Also maybe they will work out something more short term like 6 months or give you break on month to month.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:42 AM

5,107 posts, read 9,261,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Careful saying this since you haven't seen the terms of the contract. It could be that in the contract there is beside the expire date also a date before the tenant has to let the LL know if he is staying after the experation date or not. If the tenant doesn't give notice on time the contract is already going months to month or for an additional year...that is all up to how the contract is written and every lease contract can be different.

My contracts have a notice date other wise they will be month to month and the rental price might chance than if it is a long term lease.
Absolutely. In Idaho, a lease agreement automatically goes to month to month at the end of a lease term if neither party has given notice. We had a tenant move out at the end of their lease period without so much as a phone call. They didn't return keys or anything, just moved out, left the keys inside, took the utilities out of their name and stopped paying rent. The rent goes direct to the owner, who didn't contact me for 45 days to say "Oh, by the way, I didn't get rent last month or this month for such and such rental". Ouch!

Old 07-06-2009, 07:05 AM

3,364 posts, read 5,339,424 times
At the house we rented in Albuquerque... I started calling the PM in May, 3 months before our first lease expired, to ask for a another lease (I wanted to lock in the rental price). I called weekly at first but by June, it was biweekly and only once in July before I gave up. They kept saying they'd call us back.

In mid September, they called and offered us a month's free rent if we would re-up the lease.

That story still makes me smile.

That put our new end date at the end of September however. The following year, I could not commit to a year's lease as I knew we were going to be moving. They agreed to a 9 month lease. They finally finished preparing it 6 weeks (more than 7 months later) before we moved... after I called to schedule the final walk through (which they didn't show up for, but that's another story).

Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 5,331 times
Can a landlord ask to move out when my lease is up because the landlord is renting it to someone else? However the landlord never EVEN asked if we were intrested in the renewal. Is that illegal? For her to say "Okay, you have until this date to leave bc I have rented it to another person" but yet landlord did not consider discussing it with us if we would like to stay. Help please...

Thanks

Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 AM

40,871 posts, read 42,001,653 times
A new lease is dependent on both parties agreeing ;so yes and the laws will tell how long a notice is required on moving out.Both you can leave after lease is up and the landlord can refuse to renew with you and lease it to another party.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM

20,523 posts, read 22,551,554 times
There is usually a clause in a lease agreement which stipulates how far in advance either the tenant or the landlord should advise the other of their intent to SEEK renewal of the lease. But neither party is obligated to renew the lease once it's ended. In other words, had you advised your LL within the proscribed time period stated in the lease or otherwise decreed under state law that you were interested in renewing the lease, he/she could have refused. Your LL is doing nothing illegal. Once your lease is over it's over unless both parties agree to enter into a new lease agreement.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,712 times
My lease expires Jan.31st. On Dec.1st I talked to my landlord about renewing my lease, he said he would get the paper work together. I got it today Jan.3rd, he raised my rent $200.00 a month and wants to do a walk thur this Thursday. My rent is already $1000.00 a month I can't afford this increase and only have 28 days to find another place. Can landlords to this? Doesn't he have to give me more of a notice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting