U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 AM

291 posts, read 794,756 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if a landlord has any obligation to notify a tenant of the listing of the property for sale? My landlord did not notify me that he is listing the property and I just got a call from a real estate agent who was calling to arrange a time to show the property.

For the record, I do not have any problem with this and in fact, for our own personal reasons, we might like to revise our lease agreement to be on a month-to-month basis. Do I have any recourse in making that request now that our landlord has placed the property for sale without our knowledge or isn't there any requirement for him to do so. Perhaps it is more of a courtesy than a requirement, but since he did not extend that courtesy, maybe we can make that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 01:57 AM

3,964 posts, read 9,297,602 times
Most lease agreements have that covered. It usually says that within a certain number of days the landlord has to notify you and also you have to agree to have a lockbox put on the door if they are using one.

Read your lease. Your answer is there!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:45 AM

601 posts, read 1,262,733 times
what a landlord does with HIS property is his business. No requirement
(But it would be nice to let you know)

Old 03-22-2008, 03:22 PM

2,329 posts, read 4,036,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
Does anyone know if a landlord has any obligation to notify a tenant of the listing of the property for sale? My landlord did not notify me that he is listing the property and I just got a call from a real estate agent who was calling to arrange a time to show the property.

For the record, I do not have any problem with this and in fact, for our own personal reasons, we might like to revise our lease agreement to be on a month-to-month basis. Do I have any recourse in making that request now that our landlord has placed the property for sale without our knowledge or isn't there any requirement for him to do so. Perhaps it is more of a courtesy than a requirement, but since he did not extend that courtesy, maybe we can make that point.
Why would they be obligated to tell you? You don't own the property. How much of a pain in the a$$ would that be for landlords to be required to let every single tenant know that they are selling the property... I can see it now... "Tenants sue because landlord didn't give notice of intent to sell..."

The only notice that the landlord would be required to do is when an agent/prospective buyer has to enter the home (check your lease on the time frame).

Old 03-22-2008, 03:36 PM

8,424 posts, read 24,168,852 times
MMB- What city do you LL in?
Im just curious as I really dont care for a lot of your replies.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:02 PM

16,027 posts, read 15,844,003 times
Quote:
Why would they be obligated to tell you? You don't own the property. How much of a pain in the a$$ would that be for landlords to be required to let every single tenant know that they are selling the property... I can see it now... "Tenants sue because landlord didn't give notice of intent to sell..."
Geez.

I can tell you exactly how much of a pain in the ass it could be for the landlord who's trying to sell the property. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can inhibit a sale more effectively than an angry and unhappy tenant.

It's in the best interest of the landlord to give the tenant as much notice as possible, and also first option on the place.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:13 PM

92 posts, read 279,179 times
He can certainly put home for sale- although as tenant-you are the one in possession of home during rental period. Unless you are in the final 30 days of your lease- you do not have to show the home and in the final 30 days you can have showings at your convenience during business hours. You have so many rights as a renter. Landlords can get angry at tenants for not being accomodating- well- then they shouldn't rent out their home.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:45 PM

14,029 posts, read 25,855,451 times
It really depends on where the property is located as to whether there are local or State laws limiting showings.

Large apartment buildings change ownership all the time and most residents often never know.

Also, many apartments are owned by corporations and corporations merge and shareholders sell.

Your lease or rental agreement is the most important aspect, combined with State and local law, as to the type of restrictions placed on showings. A property can change hands several times... as happens with 1031 exchanges, but your rights to occupy follow your Rental Agreement.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:55 PM

1,368 posts, read 4,475,028 times
Ultra, I'm really glad you became a mod.

Landlord has no obligation to tell you. As a matter of fact, we lost 2 tenants from what we thought were 2 fully occupied duplexes BECAUSE the landlord didn't mention he was selling the property. One would've stayed, but was already committed to a lease elsewhere.

However, there are rules regarding what notice must be given if the new owner would like to live in it and evict you from the property. Which is another reason why its in everyone's best interest if the tenant knows the property is for sale.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM

2,329 posts, read 4,036,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Geez.

I can tell you exactly how much of a pain in the ass it could be for the landlord who's trying to sell the property. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can inhibit a sale more effectively than an angry and unhappy tenant.

It's in the best interest of the landlord to give the tenant as much notice as possible, and also first option on the place.
It doesn't take much to upset tenants. I agree that tenants should be given adequate notice but no one has the right to make it difficult for an owner to sell their property. It's not right and it's slightly immature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting