Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 AM

32,639 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

I've looked at the photos of the stove and aside from one photo of rust, it is all dirt. I wouldn't be able to live with that sort of dirt, so I would have taken my $5 bottle of citrus cleaner, $1 worth of paper towels and 30 minutes of my time to clean it instead of complaining about it for 6 months.

That stove could not have possibly gotten that dirty in the 6 months that you lived there, no matter how slobby the tenant, so it had to have looked like that before you moved in. You saw it before you rented and what you see is what you get.

You need to move and when you move, inspect more carefully. If the landlord is the type to maintain his property, the rental will be clean and in good repair when you first look at it. If the rental is dirty with rusted appliances, it is not going to get any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 04:09 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've looked at the photos of the stove and aside from one photo of rust, it is all dirt. I wouldn't be able to live with that sort of dirt, so I would have taken my $5 bottle of citrus cleaner, $1 worth of paper towels and 30 minutes of my time to clean it instead of complaining about it for 6 months.

It's not just dirt, grease and food, it has more problems. The gas/electric company pink tagged it, which essentially condemned it. That stove is 20 years old, and it's not in usable condition.. That mess is from the former tenants, not me.

That stove could not have possibly gotten that dirty in the 6 months that you lived there, no matter how slobby the tenant, so it had to have looked like that before you moved in. You saw it before you rented and what you see is what you get.

I didn't look inside the oven when I came to look at the house, just the top of stove. I don't know anyone who crawls around on the floor looking at the inside of appliances when they look at at a place to rent. And I've never had to.

You need to move and when you move, inspect more carefully. If the landlord is the type to maintain his property, the rental will be clean and in good repair when you first look at it. If the rental is dirty with rusted appliances, it is not going to get any better.
I'll be looking for a new place starting the 3rd week of April, since my lease is up at the end of May. He'll get a surprise.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I agree, and the refrigerator is, too. I had to clean out the inside of the refrigerator so I cold put my food inside of it. The landlord doesn't see a problem with it, but I can guarantee you that the stove and refrigerator in his house don't look like that.
Why did you accept the unit with appliances that looked like that??

If the place was filthy when you looked at it and was still filthy when you signed the lease, what in the world make you think it was going to be spotless when you moved in?

Yes, the landlord has to shoulder some of this, but you agreed to this the day you signed the lease. Good luck and hope you find a place.

We had our furnace (installed in 1962 by Sears ) red tagged by the gas company because there was a pinhole leak. Anyway....they tagged it, turned off the gas to the whole house (dryer, stove, hot water heater and furnace) until a repair company came and took care of the issue. They would not turn the gas back on until the heating company contacted them.

The age of the appliance isn't always the issue...it's the maintenance of it. We asked the contractor about replacing it and he laughed and said no way, this unit is in perfect shape..just maintain it. So while your stove is 20 yrs old....the lack of maintenance (including regular and proper cleaning) is the issue, not the age.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:34 AM

If the place was filthy when you looked at it and was still filthy when you signed the lease, what in the world make you think it was going to be spotless when you moved in?

I've never had to (and don't know anyone who has) crawl around on the floor to look underneath appliances.

I'll have no problem finding another cottage to live in, I just have to wait until the month before my lease is up (April).

And the landlord will find out that I no longer answer text messages unless it's an emergency, or if he knocks on the door. And that's not for showing up with used appliances for the storage shed.

So while your stove is 20 yrs old....the lack of maintenance (including regular and proper cleaning) is the issue, not the age. This is true, but the problem stems from the former tenants, not me.

I'll have no problem finding another cottage to live in, I just have to wait until the month before my lease is up (April). In the meantime, I'm collecting boxes, can get free bubble wrap at work, and will start packing in March.

Last edited by moved; 12-12-2017 at 11:01 AM..

Old 12-13-2017, 05:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:

I've never had to (and don't know anyone who has) crawl around on the floor to look underneath appliances.

I'll have no problem finding another cottage to live in, I just have to wait until the month before my lease is up (April).

And the landlord will find out that I no longer answer text messages unless it's an emergency, or if he knocks on the door. And that's not for showing up with used appliances for the storage shed.

So while your stove is 20 yrs old....the lack of maintenance (including regular and proper cleaning) is the issue, not the age. This is true, but the problem stems from the former tenants, not me.

I'll have no problem finding another cottage to live in, I just have to wait until the month before my lease is up (April). In the meantime, I'm collecting boxes, can get free bubble wrap at work, and will start packing in March.
No one said you had to crawl on the floor to look under the appliances..your own pictures clearly show that all you had to do was open the door or simply LOOK at the appliances to see the filth. If you didn't bother to look inside the appliances before you signed the contract, that's on you; not the landlord.

Ok, so the former tenants left the filth and you thought it was ok to leave it too?? That makes so sense whatsoever. Who wants to live in filth just to prove a point.

Again, good luck and hopefully your move goes smoothly. This time, open the fridge and oven and make sure the place is clean before you accept the keys and sign the lease.

Old 12-13-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No one said you had to crawl on the floor to look under the appliances..your own pictures clearly show that all you had to do was open the door or simply LOOK at the appliances to see the filth. If you didn't bother to look inside the appliances before you signed the contract, that's on you; not the landlord.

Ok, so the former tenants left the filth and you thought it was ok to leave it too?? That makes so sense whatsoever. Who wants to live in filth just to prove a point.

Again, good luck and hopefully your move goes smoothly. This time, open the fridge and oven and make sure the place is clean before you accept the keys and sign the lease.
Read my first post for commenting. This landlord will be for a big surprise, and in many ways.

FYI, I pointed out the stove to the real estate agent/son-in-law, after the gas/electric company pink tagged it. I told him that it was unacceptable and unusable, and was told that the owner would take care of it. That's when he put the Scripto lighter on top of the burners, and I decide to wait out my lease, continue to downsize, and move.

But again, read my first post for commenting, the subject of the post, and forget about the stove and fridge, because I can ask a mod to remove them, then you'll have no choice.

Last edited by moved; 12-13-2017 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-16-2017, 12:57 PM

UPDATE:

The landlord showed up and started putting items (not appliances in the storage shed). I tried to talk to him, and he said is what I expected from him. That it's his property, he can use it however he wants, and he can show up anytime he wants. He doesn't seem to think that it's a problem.

Last edited by moved; 12-16-2017 at 01:06 PM..

Old 12-16-2017, 02:02 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
UPDATE:

The landlord showed up and started putting items (not appliances in the storage shed). I tried to talk to him, and he said is what I expected from him. That it's his property, he can use it however he wants, and he can show up anytime he wants. He doesn't seem to think that it's a problem.
What specifically does your lease say you are renting (word for word except the address would help)? From my understanding you have a shared yard with another unit so the LL may not be wrong. It depends on a number of factors but mostly what the lease states specifically.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:08 PM

There's nothing in the lease (I've read through it several times) about him putting a storage shed on the property to store things in, and the yard isn't shared. The other house is actually on a different street, and has it's own yard. The yard where the storage shed was put belongs to the house that I'm renting.

I tried to tell him that he can't just show up whenever he wants, let alone store his property, and he just says he'll do whatever he wants because it's his property. He doesn't see anything wrong with it, and has no respect for me, his tenant.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:42 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Near the beginning of the lease the major terms are defined and that is who the Landlord is, who the Tenant is, and what property is being rented, collectively the Premises. Your focus is what the lease defines as the Premises. If it just lists the address then you can sue to have the lease violations stopped and the shed removed. You can also break the lease if the judge orders it removed and he doesn't comply or get a reduction in rent for the reduced usage of the premises (much harder to argue).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting